Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA vs. IB / Iberia comparison: which is better, etc. (consolidated)

AA vs. IB / Iberia comparison: which is better, etc. (consolidated)

Old Nov 21, 2016, 9:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/iberi...a330-a340.html for possible further information.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by AAMillionaire
Can you elaborate on this? I'm flying IB soon and have a window, but what do you mean by "true window seat"?
Some seats are further away from the window, some are closer. staggered layout. Find the one closest to window for maximum space!
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Like others, I much prefer J on IB than on AA, unless flying on an AA 773.
That said, if you can find a non-stop from the US to BCN, that will be much easier than connecting at MAD. Not that connecting at MAD is difficult -- you must take a train between terminals and then clear immigration -- but flying direct from the US is easier.

Note that if you have checked luggage and connect in MAD, although you clear immigration at MAD, you will not clear customs until you reach BCN, so your luggage will not arrive in the same baggage claim area as the rest of the flight. Instead it will arrive in a secure area for bags that have not cleared customs.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by susiesan

Next best would be
AA 4721MCI-ORD 12:38-2:45
IB 6274 ORD-MAD 4:25-7:30
IB 2704 MAD-BCN 9:30-10:45
Update: today I was able to book this routing on Oct. 21 all in J. This is one day earlier than I want to travel. The IB flights are available for Oct. 22 but a flight from MCI-ORD is not, even in coach on 10/22, a Sunday. I will keep checking online, calling in to change from Saturday to Sunday.

The routing through Madrid showed availability online but it was phantom inventory. So is all the other routing on AA flights from the US to MAD or BCN on 10/21 and 10/22.

I suppose spending 3 days in Barcelona instead of 2 before a cruise is not the worst way to spend some time. I have been there before but it was in 2009.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update: today I was able to book this routing on Oct. 21 all in J. This is one day earlier than I want to travel. The IB flights are available for Oct. 22 but a flight from MCI-ORD is not, even in coach on 10/22, a Sunday. I will keep checking online, calling in to change from Saturday to Sunday.

The routing through Madrid showed availability online but it was phantom inventory. So is all the other routing on AA flights from the US to MAD or BCN on 10/21 and 10/22.

I suppose spending 3 days in Barcelona instead of 2 before a cruise is not the worst way to spend some time. I have been there before but it was in 2009.
This is a great itinerary. As I think I noted upthread, you'll clear immigration at MAD, then take the train to the domestic terminal, then reclear security, but won't clear customs until you reach BCN.

If I were to consider any change to this itinerary, it would be to consider a later MAD-BCN flight, if available, in order to have more time to shower and have breakfast at IB's terrific lounge at MAD. They also have a quiet room if you want to try to nap as well after your overnight flight.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
This is a great itinerary. As I think I noted upthread, you'll clear immigration at MAD, then take the train to the domestic terminal, then reclear security, but won't clear customs until you reach BCN.

If I were to consider any change to this itinerary, it would be to consider a later MAD-BCN flight, if available, in order to have more time to shower and have breakfast at IB's terrific lounge at MAD. They also have a quiet room if you want to try to nap as well after your overnight flight.
I will think about it. I figure by the time we land in BCN, get the luggage, clear customs, get in to the city and to our hotel it will be 1:00pm. Time to check in and shower there. I can't imagine any airline lounge being so great it would be preferable to spend a few hours there versus the time in Barcelona. Except the CX longest in Hong Kong! Now those are great for lingering.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will think about it. I figure by the time we land in BCN, get the luggage, clear customs, get in to the city and to our hotel it will be 1:00pm. Time to check in and shower there. I can't imagine any airline lounge being so great it would be preferable to spend a few hours there versus the time in Barcelona. Except the CX longest in Hong Kong! Now those are great for lingering.
Fair point. It's worth considering primarily if you think you might not be able to get into your hotel when you arrive in BCN. FWIW, assuming that you plan to take a taxi from the airport, I think you could be there closer to noon than to 1pm. (BTW, I love the CX lounges at HKG, too, but even if the IB lounges were that good, I think you're spot on: get yourself to BCN if you can get into your hotel on arrival.)
Old Nov 27, 2016, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
Fair point. It's worth considering primarily if you think you might not be able to get into your hotel when you arrive in BCN. FWIW, assuming that you plan to take a taxi from the airport, I think you could be there closer to noon than to 1pm. (BTW, I love the CX lounges at HKG, too, but even if the IB lounges were that good, I think you're spot on: get yourself to BCN if you can get into your hotel on arrival.)
Another update:

I called back to AA today and was able to move the whole trip ahead one day, leaving Oct. 22 arriving BCN Oct. 23, which is my preferred date of travel. All the flights are the same. AA was able to reserve the seats on IB 6274 TATL flight and I have row 1 center, the honeymoon seats facing in.

We will most likely take the airport bus into the city instead of a cab. I will be looking for a B&B for 2 nights in the center, Eixample neighborhood. The cruise ship doesn't sail until 6:00pm on Oct. 25 so we should have 2 days to get reaquainted with Barcelona.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We will most likely take the airport bus into the city instead of a cab. I will be looking for a B&B for 2 nights in the center, Eixample neighborhood. The cruise ship doesn't sail until 6:00pm on Oct. 25 so we should have 2 days to get reaquainted with Barcelona.
On a visit to Barcelona this summer, I stayed at this AirBnB. I loved the location, in a primarily residential area but also very close to Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter, and maybe a 5-minute cab ride to the cruise terminal.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Another update:

I called back to AA today and was able to move the whole trip ahead one day, leaving Oct. 22 arriving BCN Oct. 23, which is my preferred date of travel. All the flights are the same. AA was able to reserve the seats on IB 6274 TATL flight and I have row 1 center, the honeymoon seats facing in.

Good! Now, off topic:

Barcelona is a favorite, and we occasionally cruise from or to there (last time April 2014 for the inaugural voyage of Windstar's intimate MV Star Pride).

One way to see a lot and get around is to get hop on hop off two day tickets (usually cost less than two single day tickets), take the full narrated route to get well oriented and then use them to access various sites you've decided to visit. http://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/barcelona-bus-tours

For lunch, I recommend a large, old (180 years old!) family restaurant with a huge menu and excellent paella, open 1 pm - 1 am. Queue starts building 12:30ish. Can be booked online (recommended).

Restaurant 7 Portes
Passeig d'Isabel II, 14, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Downtown
Open most days 1PM–1AM
http://7portes.com/en/

Dinner in Spain tends to be late.

(A couple of more days, there's a bus from the airport to Andorra la Vella (3 hrs), capital of the tiny, quaint mountain-straddled nation of Andorra. We did exactly that on the 2014 cruise trip. Not recommended on weekends; expect snowy winters.)

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 27, 2016 at 9:36 am
Old Nov 27, 2016, 12:18 pm

one more update

Another update:

Update to the update: I calledAA back this afternoon and switched to the flights on 10/22:
AA 1543 MCI-DFW 1:50-3:28 F
AA 36 DFW-MAD 4:40-9:00am J
IB 2708 MAD-BCN 11:00-12:15 J

I will probably end up using IB on the way home, which will be from Venice. This way I can experience both airlines TATL.

Last edited by susiesan; Nov 28, 2016 at 11:41 am
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:37 pm

IB had good food, great business class, and I would only consider the ORD-BCN direct route on the 787 from AA if I were to do business with them. I haven't flown a 2 cabin 777 in J, but that product better be real good, or I would decline it.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 9:25 am

Talking happy with return flights

I was able to get saver award tix for the return flights from Venice post cruise on IB in J on Nov. 6, 2017

IB 3249 VCE-MAD
IB 6275 MAD-ORD
AA 3580 ORD-MCI

I will be able to do a comparison of AA J on the 787 and IB J. This report will not be until November 2017.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:25 am

After flying both AA 787 lie flat, and IB a330 J, I like IB more.

The seats seem cheaper in the AA plane, honestly. The food was awesome on IB, and the infotainment was maybe one of the best I have ever gotten to play with (most extensive catalog)

I was able to get saver award tix for the return flights from Venice post cruise on IB in J on Nov. 6, 2017

IB 3249 VCE-MAD
IB 6275 MAD-ORD
AA 3580 ORD-MCI

I will be able to do a comparison of AA J on the 787 and IB J. This report will not be until November 2017.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:46 am

Need advice on which FCO-LIT route to take: AA or IB

For those who have on either, I need some advice.

I'm flying from FCO to LIT in April. I'm currently booked on business class flying FCO-MAD-ORD-LIT on Iberia. Or spend a few more miles (which is not an issue) going FCO-CLT-LIT on AA.

Curious about the transatlantic flight. Which is better...Iberia MAD-ORD or AA FCO-CLT.

Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.