Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I've been wondering the same. Does Gogo have a new comparable product that competes, or is Gogo on their way out at an industry level? If so, I wonder how Tmobile will respond.
Well I assume DL and UA use gogo otherwise it would be an AA specific benefit that wouldn't be too usable to all T Mobile users.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:15 am

Was the reason for the “free” wifi going on right now because they were waiting on via to allow gogo a count login or something? Then once available, they were back to charging? Something about starting in March?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by enviroian
Well I assume DL and UA use gogo otherwise it would be an AA specific benefit that wouldn't be too usable to all T Mobile users.
Wifi is a hot mess on UA. They only use Gogo for the ps flights (premium transcon) and select regional aircraft. So the T Mobile benefit is already limited on UA. I think UA uses 2 other wi-fi providers - ViaSat and Panasonic - for their other routes. Three different portals and prices and no airline-wide passes.

You'll also notice that Gogo doesn't sell a United pass, because it would relatively useless for most flyers.

Last edited by flightrisk; Feb 27, 2018 at 8:43 am
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:37 am

Thumbs down

This sucks for anyone who gets access via T-Mobile, or passes from Amex/CNB/FlexPerks. *thumbsdown*
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T-Mobile? Find another airline

Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Haha, that's great. Totally going to book flights on US Airways and AirTran for the free wifi!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flightrisk
US Airways
I should tweet him back and ask does TWA and Northwest offer gogo too.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Was the reason for the “free” wifi going on right now because they were waiting on via to allow gogo a count login or something? Then once available, they were back to charging? Something about starting in March?
I think it is until there is a critical mass of operating aircraft with it. I have flown on 1 viasat equipped 737 so far, so I wouldn't pay for a subscription. Also connecting to a gogo equipped jet, one would have to pay twice.

Once we see more jets in the air, it makes sense to charge. Much like how AA rolled out Premium Economy.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pound salt

Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Agree, there's no way that GoGo would do a deal with T-Mobile without demanding exclusivity. GoGo is probably offering significant concessions on pricing, and in exchange they can use T-Mobile's millions of subscribers as marketing to airlines. Even though GoGo's leverage with the airlines is limited, it would be even worse if they allowed T-Mobile to add additional in-flight wifi partners.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bryanb
Agree, there's no way that GoGo would do a deal with T-Mobile without demanding exclusivity. GoGo is probably offering significant concessions on pricing, and in exchange they can use T-Mobile's millions of subscribers as marketing to airlines. Even though GoGo's leverage with the airlines is limited, it would be even worse if they allowed T-Mobile to add additional in-flight wifi partners.
agreed--and sucks.

I'll just tweet Mr Tmobile back and tell him I'm headed to US Airways LOL
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Originally Posted by thunderlounge

I think it is until there is a critical mass of operating aircraft with it. I have flown on 1 viasat equipped 737 so far, so I wouldn't pay for a subscription. Also connecting to a gogo equipped jet, one would have to pay twice.

Once we see more jets in the air, it makes sense to charge. Much like how AA rolled out Premium Economy.

Thankfully, I'm not losing my mind.

Granted, this talks about the 7M8 specifically.
TPG: Free ViaSat Ending

Bullet points from the article linked above:

- It's been free to appease Gogo monthly subscribers. AA is working on getting Gogo subscribers free access to ViaSat.

- It's been free due to the IFE being streaming to your own device.

- Subset of the previous point, you need the AA app to stream, which some people may not be aware of. Free internet lets them download the app.

- Internal memos at AA plans to start charging in March, as the air to ground Gogo subscriptions will become valid on both Gogo and ViaSat.

The article doen't say how/if this impacts frames other than the 7M8.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Gate to gate wifi rocks!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: DL 360, Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat
Flew the 7M8 between LGA and MIA last week and the Wifi didn't work at all. The FA's commented saying that the wifi was very unreliable on the 7M8. Sucks that they took away the TV screens too!
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I was on N951NN DFW-SNA last week and it had ViaSat on it - FREE for flight duration with no GoGo login option (hence no TMO login option either)

Was 7-25Mb/sec - gate to gate - on approach to SNA though it way well below 1Mb/sec. IFE was *STILL* on this aircraft - didn't see a streaming option on this - just IFE or Internet Access

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.