FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:21 pm
thunderlounge

Originally Posted by Antarius
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Was the reason for the “free” wifi going on right now because they were waiting on via to allow gogo a count login or something? Then once available, they were back to charging? Something about starting in March?

I think it is until there is a critical mass of operating aircraft with it. I have flown on 1 viasat equipped 737 so far, so I wouldn't pay for a subscription. Also connecting to a gogo equipped jet, one would have to pay twice.

Once we see more jets in the air, it makes sense to charge. Much like how AA rolled out Premium Economy.

Thankfully, I'm not losing my mind.

Granted, this talks about the 7M8 specifically.
TPG: Free ViaSat Ending

Bullet points from the article linked above:

- It's been free to appease Gogo monthly subscribers. AA is working on getting Gogo subscribers free access to ViaSat.

- It's been free due to the IFE being streaming to your own device.

- Subset of the previous point, you need the AA app to stream, which some people may not be aware of. Free internet lets them download the app.

- Internal memos at AA plans to start charging in March, as the air to ground Gogo subscriptions will become valid on both Gogo and ViaSat.

The article doen't say how/if this impacts frames other than the 7M8.