Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

RTW / Round the World ticket - earning AAdvantage Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW / Round the World ticket - earning AAdvantage Miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I'm of two minds about this. Yes, a travel agent can book AA flights as codeshares, enhancing earnings, particularly EQDs, as you said. OTOH booking AA flights under AA numbers allows one to apply SWUs to those flights.
True, but there are fewer flights with actual first class then there used to be. I actually did just a few days ago book an RTW using the AA RTW desk specifically to use SWUs on HKG-DFW and LAX-JFK, because I find it so hard to use SWUs these days. I had to give up booking the AA flights as QF or BA codes, and couldn't even book CX flights as AY codes, which was especially annoying.
Old May 11, 2023, 1:24 pm

Has anybody been successful in getting the RTW desk to assign BA/QR/ codeshares on domestic flights with AA metal?

I fed the agent all these codeshares (I was very specific) and there was no pushback....but I guess then the rate desk can switch to AA flights at will before re-issuing the ticket?
Old Aug 1, 2023, 11:49 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Post-LP transition, do OW RTW tickets plated on AA book as special fares? Or do the AA legs book as typical AA tickets (how would they define the cash value for each leg?) and the non-AA legs as partner flights?
Old Aug 1, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by steveholt
Post-LP transition, do OW RTW tickets plated on AA book as special fares? Or do the AA legs book as typical AA tickets (how would they define the cash value for each leg?) and the non-AA legs as partner flights?
I have recently completed three AA-marketed segments on my current RTW ticket (a DGLOB34)
  • plated on AA
  • 1st AA-marketed, AT-operated
  • 2nd and 3rd AA-marketed and AA-operated

All have posted under the Distance Method, which is what I hoped for but didn't expect,
because last year my three AA-marketed and AA-operated segments on my UL-plated DONE4 posted under the Fare Method.
steveholt likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 5:51 pm

Some reports. MEX-JFK and JFK-LAX, both AA-operated, posted under the fare method. ANC-DFW (AA-operated) posted under the distance method 😳
Old Aug 17, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Well, starting out my DGLOB34, I flew OSL-LHR on BA and LHR-JFK on AA. The latter posted with the distance method.
pandaperth likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 3:16 pm

The official answer is that all AA-coded flights credit as fare, except those with opaque fares (such as certain flights booked via AAVacations). In practice, even normal AA itineraries, booked as normal one-ways or round-trips, sometimes post using distance. Even in those cases, sometimes the flights subsequently are adjusted to post as fare, perhaps by a routine audit or something. With itineraries that have a mix of AA- and non-AA-coded flights, the base fare is allocated per flight as the ratio of the flight's distance to the total flown distance. Carrier-imposed surcharges ("overcharges" as some call them) are more complicated and get allocated to specific flights, I believe.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by pandaperth
I have recently completed three AA-marketed segments on my current RTW ticket (a DGLOB34)
  • plated on AA
  • 1st AA-marketed, AT-operated
  • 2nd and 3rd AA-marketed and AA-operated

All have posted under the Distance Method, which is what I hoped for but didn't expect,
because last year my three AA-marketed and AA-operated segments on my UL-plated DONE4 posted under the Fare Method.
It's great when AA RTW flights post as distance, but as you suggest, we can't count on it. Personally, I didn't want to risk it, so in my current RTW, I booked the AA flights between the U.S. and Canada as AS codes. I couldn't book an AA transcon as a codeshare, so I credited that to QR. (Interestingly, now that I've flown the last AA-operated flight, the Sabre PNR is frozen. There were schedule changes that caused a re-route, none of which is shown when I look at the itinerary on AA.)
Old Aug 18, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: AA=EXP, former DL Platinum
I have several AA-plated DONE and DCIR ticket on the go at present and all AA flights have posted by distance, so as "special fares".
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Anyone with recent-ish experience with CX plated itineraries on AA codes as distance or revenue?

Last year I had a QF plated OW Explorer and AA credited as distance. I'm currently looking at AKL-DFW on a CX ticket, AA distance is obviously better than QF code but that's a huge ouch if revenue.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 6:29 pm

Well, starting out my DGLOB34, I flew OSL-LHR on BA and LHR-JFK on AA. The latter posted with the distance method.
Updating here: I had the ticket revalidated after those first two flights. When I flew two domestic legs on AA, the AA flights credited with the fare method.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 8:10 pm

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Updating here: I had the ticket revalidated after those first two flights. When I flew two domestic legs on AA, the AA flights credited with the fare method.
I'm assuming you mean the two domestic legs, right? Did the revalidation reclassify the AA international flight, too?
Old Nov 20, 2023, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by skipaway
I'm assuming you mean the two domestic legs, right? Did the revalidation reclassify the AA international flight, too?
Just the two new domestic legs.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 5:26 am

​​​​​​​Is the former one which operated by BA posted with fare method?

Last edited by chan1108; Mar 18, 2024 at 5:27 am Reason: adding quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.