Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

RTW / Round the World ticket - earning AAdvantage Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum

Hi,

total newbie here, hope this is not a redundant Question.

I booked a super cheap ex-MPM oneworld-RTW ticket, and I get that with AA, the miles I do earn is dependant on the $ spent. on the partner airlines, its a function of the miles flown.
Now with the rtw ticket i have multiple choices with airlines i can fly on several legs. before introduction of the miles/$ spent clause, I would choose AA because that earned me the most miles. but with the new rules, if I want to maximise the miles i do get, is it possible that I could get more miles by flying partner airlines than flying with AA itself?
It'd help a lot how the miles i get are calculated if I fly AA since I only have A price on the whole ticket, not the $ I spent for the specific AA flight I do or do not choose. do they just divide the total amount I paid for the whole ticket by the segments and give me miles on that? if that is the case i think it would be far better if I fly partner airlines and not AA.

Hope my question isnt confusing. thx in advance

KR,
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What AA miles you will/can earn is hard to determine. You can tell us when the trip is complete.
On your route what segments are AA flight numbers?
What class of ticket [?ONE?]?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...advantage-733/
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ug-2016-a.html
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:21 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Welcome to FT!

This is a complicated question and part(s) of the answer will depend on a lot of specifics having to do with your ticket, destinations, class of service and choice of carriers. However it will hinge on AA's interpretation of how the new mileage rules apply to multi-stop, multi-carrier "integrated" tickets like RTWs, so I'm going to shoot the thread over to the AA board.

Good luck - you're asking a question that's on a lot of people's minds.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:36 pm

AA calculates RTW using the special fare tab!
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by gearassss
Hi,

I booked a super cheap ex-MPM oneworld-RTW ticket, and I get that with AA, the miles I do earn is dependant on the $ spent. on the partner airlines, its a function of the miles flown.
Now with the rtw ticket i have multiple choices with airlines i can fly on several legs. before introduction of the miles/$ spent clause, I would choose AA because that earned me the most miles. but with the new rules, if I want to maximise the miles i do get, is it possible that I could get more miles by flying partner airlines than flying with AA itself?
It'd help a lot how the miles i get are calculated if I fly AA since I only have A price on the whole ticket, not the $ I spent for the specific AA flight I do or do not choose. do they just divide the total amount I paid for the whole ticket by the segments and give me miles on that? if that is the case i think it would be far better if I fly partner airlines and not AA.

Hope my question isnt confusing. thx in advance
The answers to your questions depend on several variables that you did not mention:
1. What is the booking class of your ticket..L, D or A? Relevant as each class earns differently.
2. Who are the operating and marketing carriers for each flite? Relevant as AA and each other partner may have different earning rates per mile on each fare class
3. Are you referencing redeemable or elite qualifying miles? You earn both on each segment, but each is calculated differently.
4. What are you trying to maximize redeemable miles, elite qualifying miles or elite qualifying dollars? In large measure this depends on what status level you are aiming for and how easy it will be to reach both the miles and dollar spend requirements, considering your other 2017 travel.
5. Just to be sure, your questions imply that you are crediting miles to AA and are traveling in 2017, correct?

If you come back with that information it will be a lot easier to give you specifics. Also it would be worthwhile to look at the stick associated with this thread, which has reference to the basic information.

With the additional information, hopefully others will chime in and we can move to a consensus on what we know and do not know.

Cheers

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 8, 2016 at 12:39 am Reason: Corrected invalid quote syntax
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by rens
The answers to your questions depend on several variables that you did not mention:
1. What is the booking class of your ticket..L, D or A? Relevant as each class earns differently.
2. Who are the operating and marketing carriers for each flite? Relevant as AA and each other partner may have different earning rates per mile on each fare class
3. Are you referencing redeemable or elite qualifying miles? You earn both on each segment, but each is calculated differently.
4. What are you trying to maximize redeemable miles, elite qualifying miles or elite qualifying dollars? In large measure this depends on what status level you are aiming for and how easy it will be to reach both the miles and dollar spend requirements, considering your other 2017 travel.
5. Just to be sure, your questions imply that you are crediting miles to AA and are traveling in 2017, correct?

If you come back with that information it will be a lot easier to give you specifics. Also it would be worthwhile to look at the stick associated with this thread, which has reference to the basic information.

With the additional information, hopefully others will chime in and we can move to a consensus on what we know and do not know.

Cheers
Doesn't matter. AA uses the special fare rules here.

I can personally verify this to be the case.

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 8, 2016 at 12:40 am Reason: Corrected invalid quote syntax
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by surftb15

Where do we find these rules. Thx.

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 8, 2016 at 12:40 am Reason: Corrected invalid quote syntax
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:55 pm

special fare?

Originally Posted by rens

What are the "special fare rules", and where can I find them?

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 8, 2016 at 12:41 am Reason: Corrected invalid quote syntax
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Where do we find these rules. Thx.
Originally Posted by NYC212
What are the "special fare rules", and where can I find them?
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp

This is for all AA marketed and codeshare flights on RTW tickets.

For flights on other carriers, refer to the other chart.

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 8, 2016 at 12:42 am Reason: Corrected invalid quote syntax; combined duplicative posts
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:34 pm

Many thanks! I was wondering about that.

Seems like you get a much better deal on RTW with AA code share whenever possible.

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 8, 2016 at 12:43 am Reason: Fixed quote after consolidating posts
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by NYC212
Many thanks! I was wondering about that.

Seems like you get a much better deal on RTW with AA code share whenever possible.
For RTW - yep, by a long shot.

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 8, 2016 at 12:43 am Reason: Corrected invalid quote syntax
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:31 pm

Luckily, AA has a tone of codeshares to get $12k off spend off a $4k ex-MPM RTW fare. The miles however suffer based off the new scheme.

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 8, 2016 at 12:45 am Reason: Replaced duplicative content with a self quote
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:17 am
Original Poster

some additional information which might or might not help:

1. im traveling DONE4
2. im crediting Miles to AAdvantage
3. traveling in 2017 but one flight

thx for the special fare link surftb15, it all makes sense. AA would be stupid to not incentivise flying with their own planes.

To make sure I got it right:

EQMs per mile flown = 2 > 1,5 with all other carriers

Cabin Bonus = 50 => 50%-0% with all other carriers

EQD per miles flown = 30% => 30%-25% with all other carriers

right?

Luckily, AA has a tone of codeshares to get $12k off spend off a $4k ex-MPM RTW fare. The miles however suffer based off the new scheme.
can you elaborate on the $12k threshold? why is that so important? not sure if I totally understand that quote. are you talking about earning EQM for $12k equivalent to qualify for some status?

Thx in advance

Last edited by gearassss; Sep 8, 2016 at 1:39 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability; updated quote of edited post
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by gearassss
Hi,

KR,
how cheap is that sort of ticket? what kind of countries / restrictions do you have?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 4:47 am
Original Poster

here are all the details of the rtw ticket.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...cket-faqs.html

the ticket is issued in the local currency where you start the trip (with some exceptions), and if a currency loses a lot of value in a short period vs the currency you pay with, sometimes tickets get ridiculously cheap. i paid less than 3,5k USD for a 4-continent trip covering africa, asia, north america and europe on business class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.