Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Leadership Shake Up; Kirby to United, Isom named President 29 Aug 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leadership Shake Up; Kirby to United, Isom named President 29 Aug 2016

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by MJonTravel
My AA wisdom is dated and all of this is nothing but my unsolicited opinion, but I'm pretty certain of a few things. One of those is the clear line of demarcation between "ops" and "marketing". Another is the constant battle between the two. I think the ops people have finally gotten the upper hand because the operational meltdown at AA has gotten bad enough that the right people are noticing and the right customers may be screaming loud enough. There is an employee relations component to the meltdown that current management is only now coming to grips with that will take time too. While I think "fired" may be a bit of an overstatement when it comes to Scott, it's apparent that no one was blocking the door on his way out. I really do think AA will get well, and this is just one dose of bitter medicine to get things going. And for the record, I think Scott may be just the right guy for UA at the right time too.
What I find ironic is that this same management team took plenty of shots at the outgoing management team and here they are failing. Give the previous team the current economic environment, oil prices and size and I doubt they would be doing worse.

There in lies the issue: the assumption by the current team that this would just take some hard work. That somehow running a LCC and perfecting the moves necessary to win in the merger game meant they could run a large, international airline.

There were two camps after the merger-----I don't have a dog in this fight, but pretty sure those screaming when the management team was selected have seen everything come true as predicted. Truth be told, its worse than I thought as I always believed Parker and company would not be this bad. Until recently AA still had our business.....obviously at this point we have had to take our money elsewhere.

~TG
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cova
I think this will improve things at UA. Some of us are going back to UA now with all the FF program changes at AA.

Now what I would like to see is UA hire Suzanne Rubin to head MileagePlus and let her restore it to what she things is best.
I agree with that. She will try to best everything she can. All I want to bring the old mileage based back instead of dollars. They don't want to be miserably.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cmd320
I'm not really sure what you're getting at. I couldn't care less about elite benefits, in fact I don't even retain elite status at AA anymore. I purchase F/J on flights where I want it. I care about two things: product and price. The current management team has proven unable to deliver a product I value hence my disapproval.
Then why do you even hang out in this forum? If product/price are your only concern and AA is NOT meeting that criteria then why aren't you simply flying the airline that delights you on those two criteria and not worry about incrementing your post count in the AA forum? Are you just bored?

Regards
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
Then why do you even hang out in this forum? If product/price are your only concern and AA is NOT meeting that criteria then why aren't you simply flying the airline that delights you on those two criteria and not worry about incrementing your post count in the AA forum? Are you just bored?

Regards
Because the unfortunate reality, is that the US government has allowed the creation of a domestic oligopoly where in some cases it's nearly impossible to avoid AA. For no reason other than lack of competition, there are certain times and itineraries when there is no other option.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Moving on to more productive discussion, does anyone know of any net positives that having Isom in the president's position may provide?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Moving on to more productive discussion, does anyone know of any net positives that having Isom in the president's position may provide?
He is, I believe, dedicated to restoring American to some semblance of operational reliability. While I've never met him, some people I trust tell me that in addition to being smart as a whip, he also gets the people aspect of the business. Only time will tell, but for the moment I see his elevation to the #2 slot as a good thing.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 1:01 pm
Suspended

...Only time will tell, but for the moment I see his elevation to the #2 slot as a good thing.
Me too.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
Let's hope something happens. Just got off my 53rd flight this year, and for the 39th time, it was late and we sat out on the tarmac waiting for a jetway for 15 minutes as well. Monday it was two flights in coach (which is fine), but they didn't cater either flight, so no snacks. BTW, both flights were late Monday as well, one of them over an hour due to "weight limits" that weren't addressed until after departure time despite the aircraft being at the gate for over an hour.

Continual operational problems (a lot of misconnecting/late FA's), inflight equipment and service issues, and what seems like an unhappy labor force has made me a less than pleased passenger over the last year or so.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
The biggest net positive is that he is not saddled with the bad reputation (i.e. for cost-cutting and overall arrogance) which has been plaguing Scott Kirby since the US-HP merger.

Even during the darkest days of the US-HP merger (circa 2007-2008), I don't recall Flyertalkers having anything negative to say about Isom.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: American Airlines
He is, I believe, dedicated to restoring American to some semblance of operational reliability. While I've never met him, some people I trust tell me that in addition to being smart as a whip, he also gets the people aspect of the business. Only time will tell, but for the moment I see his elevation to the #2 slot as a good thing.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Me too.
Me three

~TG
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
We'll see if it's too late for some of us, if they just focus on operational improvements. They broke the loyalty relationship already.

I had to buy an F ticket for my wife LAX-TPA, and it was a no brainer. I chose a non-stop on Delta, when there was a point I would have investigated a connecting flight on AA.

I didn't think I could make the spend requirement before, now with airfares dropping significantly, there is no chance. I took out a Jet Blue credit card already!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by beachfan
I didn't think I could make the spend requirement before, now with airfares dropping significantly, there is no chance. I took out a Jet Blue credit card already!
While there are plenty of valid complaints about AA's leadership, I feel like we've gone round the bend when folks grouse about airfares being too low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.