Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Leadership Shake Up; Kirby to United, Isom named President 29 Aug 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leadership Shake Up; Kirby to United, Isom named President 29 Aug 2016

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
I couldn't care less about his personal achievements, I wouldn't personally even let him run a Starbucks branch.That isn't the point. The problem here is that United is actually on a positive trend at the moment and Kirby will immediately find a way to end that and turn it into a complete operational disaster as he and Doug have successfully done with AA.
Why would he go and "turn UA into an operational disaster"? Clearly you have some emotional dislike for him and the USAIR management. I'm not a fan of their style either, but no one can deny they have a deep understanding of this industry and have produced results with the hand they've been dealt. Aside from the town halls (take place at hubs/major employment centers of the company and are broadcast on JetNet) he tends to keep to himself and away from the rank and file. Doug is the face of the C-suite for many of them.

Seems UA has a well rounded management team, transitions are never easy but many believe they have a lot of upside. Will be interesting to see what network, fleet, JV/alliance changes he implements over time.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Why would he go and "turn UA into an operational disaster"? Clearly you have some emotional dislike for him and the USAIR management. I'm not a fan of their style either, but no one can deny they have a deep understanding of this industry and have produced results with the hand they've been dealt.
Results such as the worst on-time percentage in the nation? Results such as the worst labor relations in the industry? Results such as the worst product in the country? Other than those, I'm not sure which results you're talking about.

It's pretty simple, deliver a good product at an acceptable price and I'll like what you're doing. Otherwise, get lost.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Results such as the worst on-time percentage in the nation? Results such as the worst labor relations in the industry? Results such as the worst product in the country? Other than those, I'm not sure which results you're talking about.

It's pretty simple, deliver a good product at an acceptable price and I'll like what you're doing. Otherwise, get lost.
Exactly. At least before their operational breakdown, all their talk of "blah blah blah all we care about is ontime departures, the onboard product be damned" carried some weight. Now we have a horrific airline operationally, an in-flight product that lags well behind it's competitors for the most part (with the exception of the 77W Cirrus seat, that's really the only trump card AA still holds IMO), a completely gutted FFP, and discontent among many loyal flyers (at least if you want to believe the posters here). What exactly should anyone at AA be proud of?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
the hand they've been dealt
What? The hand they've been dealt? You mean large, powerful hubs at DFW and MIA (and untapped potential at ORD and LAX), a respectable presence at JFK/LGA (while split, still worked), not to mention a large, loyal (probably to a fault) FF base? What was by far the best FFP and arguably the best in flight product of the US3? Sure there were labor issues and distrust of former management, but for the LCC crew to come in and decimate AA into the mess that it is today is really mind-boggling. It's not like Dougie and crew were merging with Air Koryo.

Last edited by no1cub17; Aug 30, 2016 at 1:56 pm
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
An employment lawyer can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it would be unusual to put a noncompete in a termination (or employment) agreement if the employee ends up being involuntarily terminated, which, as far as we can tell, is what happened here. Certainly not without even more extraordinary compensation. And that's besides the fact that noncompetes are unenforceable in many states (not sure about Texas, and not sure if Texas or Illinois law would ultimately matter).

The termination agreement does contain standard confidentiality clauses, and it does have a non-solicitation (but he can hire anybody that AA fires).

I also have a feeling--although we're venturing into speculation --that Kirby knew he was getting the boot, reached out to UA confidentially (i.e., AA didn't know about it), negotiated his severance with AA, and then just before he signed the agreement yesterday and just before his departure was made public (or was it immediately thereafter?), dropped the news about UA.
Been trying to figure things out but this makes very good sense.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by JonNYC
That Starbucks branch manager (as in, just any random one) would likely have equal ->better insights into this/ the airline business in general than most of those being posted in this thread.
I dont know... I think there are a couple posters in this thread who know something about airline management

Certainly more than a Starbucks manager... at least the Starbucks near me.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Kirby is Operations (as COO and President) and clearly Operations seems to have an issue, evidenced that AA was in dead last in on time arrivals for the previous month-behind Spirit.

COO was/is Isom. Kirby never had an operations background. Isom was brought from in from NW to handle operations at US in 2007.

So let's review, the guy responsible for last in ontime stats just got a promotion
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Why would he go and "turn UA into an operational disaster"? Clearly you have some emotional dislike for him and the USAIR management. I'm not a fan of their style either, but no one can deny they have a deep understanding of this industry and have produced results with the hand they've been dealt. Aside from the town halls (take place at hubs/major employment centers of the company and are broadcast on JetNet) he tends to keep to himself and away from the rank and file. Doug is the face of the C-suite for many of them.

Seems UA has a well rounded management team, transitions are never easy but many believe they have a lot of upside. Will be interesting to see what network, fleet, JV/alliance changes he implements over time.
I guess bad results qualify as results too. And the hand they've been dealt? You mean the hand they created through their merger?

This.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Duplicate post.. deleted. Mods feel free to delete.

Last edited by bchandler02; Aug 30, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:10 pm

It's very clear one of Munoz's primary mandates was to clean house and separate itself from it's "subsidiary" [CO] mindset. Thankfully, the truth about the Continental leadership has come to light, and is now accepted mainstream thought.

Love this from Brian Summers:

Originally Posted by Skift
Some inside the industry had criticized United’s former leadership, saying it took former Continental executives too long to embrace what it meant to operate a truly global airline. Continental had only two international hubs — Houston and Newark —and, while the airline was successful on routes to Europe and Latin America, it did not operate on the same worldwide scale as pre-merger United, which had more hubs and more international routes, flying to cities as far away as Dubai, Singapore, and Ho Chi Minh City.
https://skift.com/2016/08/29/united-...t-scott-kirby/

At least Kirby spent some time at a true global flag carrier before coming to UAL.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flyingcat
So let's review, the guy responsible for last in ontime stats just got a promotion
Don't forget the eight-figure severance.

Sure wish I could fail at my job like that.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by tuolumne
It's very clear one of Munoz's primary mandates was to clean house and separate itself from it's "subsidiary" [CO] mindset. Thankfully, the truth about the Continental leadership has come to light, and is now accepted mainstream thought.

Love this from Brian Summers:
Originally Posted by Skift
Some inside the industry had criticized United’s former leadership, saying it took former Continental executives too long to embrace what it meant to operate a truly global airline. Continental had only two international hubs — Houston and Newark —and, while the airline was successful on routes to Europe and Latin America, it did not operate on the same worldwide scale as pre-merger United, which had more hubs and more international routes, flying to cities as far away as Dubai, Singapore, and Ho Chi Minh City.

https://skift.com/2016/08/29/united-...t-scott-kirby/

At least Kirby spent some time at a true global flag carrier before coming to UAL.
And CO flew to India, TLV, almost anywhere in Latin America you can throw a dart to from IAH, a multitude of European destinations from Newark so it's not like they were some Mom & Pop regional carrier flying only domestically. Did UA fly to any of those places? Oh wait...

Originally Posted by bchandler02
I guess bad results qualify as results too. And the hand they've been dealt? You mean the hand they created through their merger?
I'm referring to the situation at US Airways 2006-2013. They arguably had many strategic limitations and challenges with respect to their network, fleet, and situation with labor. Many ill-informed observers here (and elsewhere) would cite the Nicolau award, subsequent litigation and creation of USAPA, but that was entirely beyond their control. I'm no fan of the current management team but the emotional hatred some display here is outrageous and really speaks more to the posters here than the C-level executives making 10s of millions each and every year and who have a working understanding the airline industry above and beyond anyone here.

Last edited by AAerSTL; Aug 30, 2016 at 6:28 pm
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I'm referring to the situation at US Airways 2006-2013.
The situation in which the management team in question stripped out IFE and power (or in some cases never had it to begin with), charged customers for water, sold elite status as a product, and flew a fleet of newish planes which were generally in awful condition from secondary hubs across a relatively limited network?

Yeah, at least back then the flights were on time and the airline was operationally somewhat reliable, but that's really all that can be said of pre-merger US Airways, and the reality is that this one positive attribute was not carried over to the combined airline by this management group.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
My AA wisdom is dated and all of this is nothing but my unsolicited opinion, but I'm pretty certain of a few things. One of those is the clear line of demarcation between "ops" and "marketing". Another is the constant battle between the two. I think the ops people have finally gotten the upper hand because the operational meltdown at AA has gotten bad enough that the right people are noticing and the right customers may be screaming loud enough. There is an employee relations component to the meltdown that current management is only now coming to grips with that will take time too. While I think "fired" may be a bit of an overstatement when it comes to Scott, it's apparent that no one was blocking the door on his way out. I really do think AA will get well, and this is just one dose of bitter medicine to get things going. And for the record, I think Scott may be just the right guy for UA at the right time too.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

The situation in which the management team in question stripped out IFE and power (or in some cases never had it to begin with), charged customers for water, sold elite status as a product, and flew a fleet of newish planes which were generally in awful condition from secondary hubs across a relatively limited network?

Yeah, at least back then the flights were on time and the airline was operationally somewhat reliable, but that's really all that can be said of pre-merger US Airways, and the reality is that this one positive attribute was not carried over to the combined airline by this management group.
I don't know what more there is to discuss, but your view as a discretionary passenger wanting to be showered with elite benefits, flying on well appointed new planes with large premium cabins for slam dunk upgrades, being well fed & served top shelf booze and redeeming miles for A380 suites on EY/QR to a concrete jungle differs from theirs. They have led airlines and balance the interest of stakeholders involved, including their large institutional shareholders who they primary work on behalf of to maximize value. The consensus across Wall Street has been favorable. I don't like the US merger or many of the changes they've implemented at AA, but to come on here and say they're unfit to run an airline speaks more about you than them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.