Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Leadership Shake Up; Kirby to United, Isom named President 29 Aug 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leadership Shake Up; Kirby to United, Isom named President 29 Aug 2016

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:45 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My guess is that Kirby realized that he wasn't going to advance at AA any time soon and negotiated with UA. Once he agreed in principle to going to UA and AA found out, AA asked him to leave immediately precisely because of the conflict of interest.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm... and this has to do with Kirby moving from AA to UA, what exactly?
Because waiting on the tarmac for 15 minutes obviously indicates the airline is a complete failure and senior executives must have been fired because of it!!!!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I'm not sure I understand the thinking at United here. They hired a great guy as CEO who's finally turning around what was a complete mess of an airline ever since the merger with CO, and then they go and bring on an idiot like Kirby? Clearly they still haven't learned their lesson from the Smisek era.

This is likely 100% a good thing for AA. One down, one to go, though it's going to be a tough one.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
I'm not sure I understand the thinking at United here. They hired a great guy as CEO who's finally turning around what was a complete mess of an airline ever since the merger with CO, and then they go and bring on an idiot like Kirby? Clearly they still haven't learned their lesson from the Smisek era.

This is likely 100% a good thing for AA. One down, one to go, though it's going to be a tough one.
Hey on the bright side - think about how in shape all the UA folks will be once they get used to running from C30 to F27 in 35 minutes on a biweekly basis. Hope they're going to spray Terminals 1-2 with some powerful deodorant!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CPRich
Because waiting on the tarmac for 15 minutes obviously indicates the airline is a complete failure and senior executives must have been fired because of it!!!!
Hyperbole aside, falling to dead last in on-time rankings (after months of systemic, uncorrected operational failures) seems like a perfectly legitimate reason to clean house.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:43 am
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rjw242
Hyperbole aside, falling to dead last in on-time rankings (after months of systemic, uncorrected operational failures) seems like a perfectly legitimate reason to clean house.
I agree 100%
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Alex_I
According to WSJ, "Like other top executives of American, Mr. Kirby doesn’t have an employment contract or a noncompete agreement."

This means that Mr. Parker and, perhaps, a few others, could jump the ship the same way any moment
I feel Mr. Parker, and his merry crew, have a "track record" similar to that of any middle and senior "leaders" * in the financial services industry (Merrill, Morgan, Goldman, et al.) where I have spent the last 40 years.

They have perfected the fine arts of consistantly delivering failure or mediocre success-coupled with a Machievellian skill at eliminating all those with any talent, skill, and expertise who stand in the way of their march to the Corporate Suite. I bear no animus towards Mr. Parker, but I feel he is no better or worse than anyone else.

Gordon Bethune, C. R. Smith, etc., where are you now?

* Exceptions- Larry Fink at BlackRock, John Bogle at Vanguard, and perhaps 1 or two others who don't immeadiately come to mind.)
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Just saw this

"What If American Was Telling the Truth in Their Press Release Firing Scott Kirby?"

by Gary Leff on August 30, 2016

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....g-scott-kirby/
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An employment lawyer can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it would be unusual to put a noncompete in a termination (or employment) agreement if the employee ends up being involuntarily terminated, which, as far as we can tell, is what happened here. Certainly not without even more extraordinary compensation. And that's besides the fact that noncompetes are unenforceable in many states (not sure about Texas, and not sure if Texas or Illinois law would ultimately matter).

The termination agreement does contain standard confidentiality clauses, and it does have a non-solicitation (but he can hire anybody that AA fires).

I also have a feeling--although we're venturing into speculation --that Kirby knew he was getting the boot, reached out to UA confidentially (i.e., AA didn't know about it), negotiated his severance with AA, and then just before he signed the agreement yesterday and just before his departure was made public (or was it immediately thereafter?), dropped the news about UA.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond

Idiot? Put your emotional dislike for the individual aside, he is laughing his way to the bank. You or I could only dream of getting such an opportunity and a financial windfall to separate from a job and immediately land in the #2 role at a competitor. UA in a way has much of the same issues AA had five years or so ago their costs are uncompetitively high and they aren't enjoying the revenue premium they've historically been able to receive. I'm not saying he is some airline genius whiz guy, often times executives like this get where they are simply by nature of good luck, people they know and being in the right place at the right time. No doubt there are probably dozens of other qualified individuals they could tap who could do an equally good job, but this is the way the world and corporate America works.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by ijgordon
An employment lawyer can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it would be unusual to put a noncompete in a termination (or employment) agreement if the employee ends up being involuntarily terminated, which, as far as we can tell, is what happened here. Certainly not without even more extraordinary compensation. And that's besides the fact that noncompetes are unenforceable in many states (not sure about Texas, and not sure if Texas or Illinois law would ultimately matter).
Be careful on urban legends ... noncompetes are very typical in high end severance agreements. With the exception of California and North Dakota (and a couple of other states with unique twists), properly drafted non-competes are regularly enforced.

Not familiar, of course, with Kirby's situation.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: Alaska FF
Originally Posted by rjw242
That's not the only thing he bungled. He was outsmarted by Delta at LAX.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Idiot? Put your emotional dislike for the individual aside, he is laughing his way to the bank. You or I could only dream of getting such an opportunity and a financial windfall to separate from a job and immediately land in the #2 role at a competitor.
I couldn't care less about his personal achievements, I wouldn't personally even let him run a Starbucks branch.That isn't the point. The problem here is that United is actually on a positive trend at the moment and Kirby will immediately find a way to end that and turn it into a complete operational disaster as he and Doug have successfully done with AA.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:04 am
Suspended

I couldn't care less about his personal achievements, I wouldn't personally even let him run a Starbucks branch.
That Starbucks branch manager (as in, just any random one) would likely have equal ->better insights into this/ the airline business in general than most of those being posted in this thread.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
That Starbucks branch manager (as in, just any random one) would likely have equal ->better insights into this/ the airline business in general than most of those being posted in this thread.
Or anyone running AA for that matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.