Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Passport stolen on day of travel on AA ex-LIM. What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport stolen on day of travel on AA ex-LIM. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Yes...I'm sure the next few days will be busy ones, but please give us an update!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: *wood Marriott P-life, *alliance UA MM, AA MM
If returning straight to US ...

You can get same day "Letter of Transit" if embassy is open. You'll need another ID and three passport photos.

You get three copies of letter which is valid only for return to the US: can only stop in int'l transit lounges, so no leaving "airworld"

1st copy is for local emigration officials, 2nd copy is for airlines, 3rd copy is for US entry (who often let you keep it)

My son and I got ours in 30 min on a Friday afternoon when passports were lost in Buenos Aires. Waiting for a passport would have meant staying until Monday.

Plus you get to feel like you're cast in Casablanca. No guarantee in finding Rick's of course.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by cyberjet
You can get same day "Letter of Transit" if embassy is open. You'll need another ID and three passport photos.
That's what the "travel authorization" was that I was talking about - forgot the actual name. Very simple and painless.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by cyberjet
Plus you get to feel like you're cast in Casablanca. No guarantee in finding Rick's of course.
There's a Rick's Caf in Casablanca, built to look like the one in the film. I had a very pleasant dinner there in January
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Reading this thread has been eye opening for me!

I had allways assumed that if a passport was lost the consulate would be able to help even on holidays/weekends. Never thought it could take days. Good to know. I allways have a copy in paper fromat as well as a photograph of my passports and those of my immediate family with me just incase!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by pandaperth
There's a Rick's Caf in Casablanca, built to look like the one in the film. I had a very pleasant dinner there in January
I agree, my travel companions and I had a great farewell dinner there, super food and super service.

Alas, in Lima they'll have to settle for the world's best ceviche.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
This is why i always only carry a COPY of my passport with me abroad and not my actual passport, this should stay somewhere safe.

Except to/from the way to the airport of course, haha.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:14 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jackal
Glad you have a positive attitude. Once the consulate reopens, it should be a quick process to get the temporary passport printed. I did it in Auckland when my passport was stolen (backpack stolen from car in Christchurch) and I was in and out of the consulate in not much more than an hour.

If your parents have travel insurance, they should even be able to claim reimbursement for the costs of the temporary passport and new permanent passport.

Hopefully AA was cooperative with changing the tickets for them!
That's a nice catchall phrase. There are numerous levels of TI. AA, i.e., sells TI, would that cover lost pps? [It's offered to me at the end of every booking on AA.COM]
One's homeowners insurance might be another place to look for reimbursement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.