Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Passport stolen on day of travel on AA ex-LIM. What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold

Team,

I'm usually in the DL forum but need to hop on over to ask a favor and question. My parents are due to fly out of Peru this evening en route back to the USA and at breakfast this AM, my mother's purse was stolen. Of course, inside of it was her Passport. And it turns out today is a national holiday in Peru, so consulate and Embassy are closed. She does have a photocopy of the Passport so hopefully creation of a new one is not a hugely exhaustive process.

I'm curious if a) anyone has had experience with a similar situation and b) what can be done to either board as scheduled (though I don't think its doable) or have AA push her ticket back one or two days. I have called the AA 1-800 number twice, only to be referred both times to the State Department's travel site.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Many thanks in advance!
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. The Peru embassy/consulate should have a 24/7 number, although this might be just for emergencies, such as a USA citizen being arrested abroad. I don't know whether a stolen passport is considered an emergency.

2. General anecdotal evidence suggests that a passport can be replaced abroad in 1-2 business days, which would mean traveling back to the USA tomorrow or the following day, assuming that the embassy/consulate isn't closed for a long holiday weekend. Parents should plan to go together to the embassy/consulate first thing in the morning, with or without an appointment, but try to make an appointment if possible. Bring copy of passport, spouse or someone else (USA citizen) who can swear to identity and citizenship, proof of immediate travel, probably passport pictures if possible, proof of immediate travel, cash and credit cards, any identity cards that weren't stolen, etc.

3. It's better to call AA before the flight tonight departs to avoid being a no show. That might make the ticket worthless, depending on the fare rules and AA polices. With luck, AA will change the ticket without penalty, but the parents might have to pay change fees and and fare difference. You might want to check availability, schedules, and prices before calling in order to be able to suggest alternatives that might be cheaper or quicker.

4. Don't forget to ask hotel about extending the stay at a reasonable price. Cancel/rebook any airport transportation, etc.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
This has happened to me, and I ended up waiting in Chile until I could get a "travel authorization" from the consulate, which only took a day (in 2007). CBP generally admits citizens in this situation after a lengthy review, but the airline's document policies are what determines if she can get on the plane in the first place to reach the US. Then, of course, there's airport security, which is out of AA's control. I wouldn't be too optimistic on that front.

Since the airline isn't responsible for a pax without proper documentation, there will probably be fees involved - ticket change and fare difference - if she's not allowed to board.

There's no harm in going to the airport early (there's usually a long line by the time the AA counters open); since it's a holiday the AA ticket office in Miraflores is closed so that would be the only option. AA.com says the ticket counter is open from 18:30 to 23:00. Definitely don't no-show, as the ticket would probably be worthless in that case and a one-way would be very expensive.

Best of luck!

Last edited by zpaul; Jul 27, 2016 at 12:51 pm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Y'all are great, thanks so much. Looks like their vacation is turning into a bit of an adventure and they've got more time to enjoy Peru I'd imagine there are worse places in the world to be stuck!
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by CGNC
Y'all are great, thanks so much. Looks like their vacation is turning into a bit of an adventure and they've got more time to enjoy Peru I'd imagine there are worse places in the world to be stuck!
Now THAT'S the right attitude! Hope your parents share it!
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:59 pm

I know at least one person who has been able to talk his way onto a plane in this scenario. As zpaul points out, the CBP should let a citizen in without a passport even though they'll probably put you through the wringer to verify that you are in fact a citizen.

The trick, therefore, is getting AA to let you board the plane. Since AA will be worried about getting fined if your mother is turned away, you could possibly handle this by promising to pay any potential fine. I'd probably show up and see if anything can be worked out--if nothing else, it's more likely AA will be willing to adjust the flight a day or two later without paying a huge fee at the airport than if you call on the phone.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The consulate may well be able to get a temporary passport for her. Some years back I left my passport at the taxi counter at GIG in Brazil. I didn't realize it until I got to the hotel. I made it to the consulate downtown and was processed within a few (very nerve racking) hours. I end up getting my passport back upon my return from GIG, which had my Brazilian Visa in it.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
My friend lost a passport on new year's day in Paris, with a very important business meeting back in the US the next day. We called the 24 hour line at the embassy, the duty officer grilled my friend for 15 minutes, and then said they would communicate to the airline (Air France, i believe) that they felt she should be allowed to board. She got to airport 3 hours early, and made it home.
I think there is a good chance, but no guarantee, it will work out.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If your mother can make it onto the plane, as a US Citizen, she cannot be denied entry for lack of a passport. It may take longer at CBP, but that is all. The copy of the passport will help as it can be used to verify the details.

This leaves AA. I would still head to the airport with the photocopy, a copy of the police report from the theft and whatever else your mother has with her which documents at least her residence, if not her citizenship.

At worst, she is denied boarding, but she has not no showed. At best, she is permitted to board and can then be processed on arrival in the US and can deal with replacing her passport in due course upon return.

If need be, she will be able to obtain a passport replacing document from the Consulate on the first business day.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Our minor son was not allowed to board TG flight to Bali from Bangkok
since his US PP was less than 6 months valid. We moved travel date
by a day and got emergency passport in US consul, Bangkok. They
were very helpful but we had the old passport so identity establishment
was not an issue... (It was an award ticket so united just allowed
us to re-book next day on SQ)

Good luck to your parents..

F.A.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
As Jordyn suggests, it is possible to get back into the U.S. without a passport, as I did it a few years ago.

My passport was taken from me on the plane-- long boring story-- and it wasn't until I was leaving the plane that I noticed it was gone. As was my entire wallet, so no driver's license, no credit cards, nothing. The only form of ID, if you want to call it that, with a photograph was my research library card. The cabin crew was very helpful, even immigration was helpful. They asked some questions, spent quite a bit of time typing away, but in the end it worked out fine. Everyone was quite friendly and helpful, really.

And I now always carry a library card, separate from my other IDs, just in case.

So if your parents can manage to get onto the plane, I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
For reference, here is the emergency contact number:

http://lima.usembassy.gov/emergency_contact.html
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The consulate may well be able to get a temporary passport for her. Some years back I left my passport at the taxi counter at GIG in Brazil. I didn't realize it until I got to the hotel. I made it to the consulate downtown and was processed within a few (very nerve racking) hours. I end up getting my passport back upon my return from GIG, which had my Brazilian Visa in it.
The temporary emergency US passports are but standard US passport blanks with a US visa-like sticker affixed for the biodata page. I have seen them take as little under an hour from my travel party members' arrival at US embassies/consulates, but I've also seen them more frequently take hours, days or even a bit longer than a week in some situations.

For the OP's situation, but depending on time of day/date, I'd consider showing up at the airport and try to see what happens at check-in attempt and go from there. The airlines are likely to want to refuse transport to the US (due in substantial part to the USG's Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative), but nothing ventured nothing gained --especially if no-showing at the airport is going to cause problems with the ticketed booking being changed.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 27, 2016 at 1:50 pm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
My passport fell apart in Italy in 2009. I went to the consulate in Milan and was able to get an emergency temporary passport (good for 90 days) to fly home. Was able to do that in a single day (a couple of hours probably at most). Then had to get a new real passport after getting home.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jordyn
I know at least one person who has been able to talk his way onto a plane in this scenario. As zpaul points out, the CBP should let a citizen in without a passport even though they'll probably put you through the wringer to verify that you are in fact a citizen.

The trick, therefore, is getting AA to let you board the plane. Since AA will be worried about getting fined if your mother is turned away, you could possibly handle this by promising to pay any potential fine. I'd probably show up and see if anything can be worked out--if nothing else, it's more likely AA will be willing to adjust the flight a day or two later without paying a huge fee at the airport than if you call on the phone.
I agree that OP's parents should definitely show up at the airport and explain to AA. Either they will board (ideal) or more likely airport will just rebook without charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.