Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM, EQS & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

This thread is dedicated to questions, discussion, and answers, requests for calculation verification, assistance, input, etc. about earning
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) for travel as of 1 Jan 2016
  • Award / Redeemable Miles (RDM) for travel as of 1 Aug 2016
  • Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) fof travel as of 1 Jan 2017
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS)

See the relevant threads in the Wikipost for basic and specific information relating to these topics.

/Moderation team

Relevant threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016 ("Just the facts" Q&A, discussion, of new changes)

Link to AAdvantage spreadsheet /spreadsheets & apps available for download

Can I See / Estimate EQD / EQM / RDM After Booking, Before Flying?

No. You can see your estimated EQD - EQM - RDM earnings for AA marketed flights once you have selected flights on AA.com before you book, and you can see all your actual earnings once you have flown and the flights have posted to your AAdvantage account.

If you use a tool to break down your trip so you can see your base fare and carrier imposed fees you can calculate your estimated EQD (for those flights earning EQD using that method, AA marketed flights). For estimated EQM and RDM you can calculate based on flown miles, fare class credit, etc.

For further information, see aa.com:

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link

Q. Will I be able to view my expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American and by other airlines online?

A. You will be able to view your expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American Airlines. Trips including flights marketed by other airlines will not display your expected earnings at this time.

Q. Where can I see how many award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits I can expect to earn for my trip on aa.com?

A. This information is displayed on aa.com after you’ve selected your flights, just prior to purchasing your reservation, on the Review and Pay page.

Q. Will promotional bonuses from special offers be included in the AAdvantage® earnings displayed?

A. No, promotional bonuses will only be displayed when your flight is posted to your account.

Q. Do I need to include my AAdvantage® number in order to view my expected earnings?

A. Yes, you will need to include your AAdvantage® number at the time of booking to view your expected earnings.

Q. Can I retrieve my expected earnings after I’ve purchased my trip online or for reservations booked elsewhere that can be viewed online?

A. No, you will only be able to view your expected earnings prior to purchasing your ticket on the Review and Pay page online.

Q. Why are the earnings shown referred to as estimates and expected earnings?

A. Award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits shown could differ from what you actually earn if you change your ticket, your elite status level changes or due to currency fluctuations for purchases not made in USD.

FT: Q. What are the rules governing earning AAdvantage miles etc. on codeshares?

1. AA codeshares earn as if you were flying AA, regardless of which airline operates them.

2. oneworld airline codeshares operated by oneworld airlines earn according to the marketing airline (airline whose flight is being flown, e.g. CX operated by JL earns as CX. oneworld marketed flights (codeshares) operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EI operated by BA, do not earn AAdvantage miles. Other airline-marketed flights operated by AA earn as if you were flying the marketing airline.

3. Exceptions include Qantas/ QF codeshares operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EY, FJ, etc.; many JL flights operated by non-oneworld airlines and some AY flights operated by non-oneworld airlines do earn AAdvantage miles.

4. Where you buy your tickets is irrelevant.

The 2017 thread can be read here.

The 2016 thread can be read here.

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM, EQS & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA-PS, SkyMiles, Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
How to know EQD, EQM and EQS on existing resv

I know that when you book, there is a screen that displays the EQD, EQM and EQS for the reservation that is about to be booked.

However, once booked, there is, seemingly, no way to view those values. When one is trying to govern status, by year end, it would be nice to know, to a level of precision, what is upcoming and how much is still needed. This is especially true for EQD, as that is not otherwise easily calculated.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by POSHtravelier
I know that when you book, there is a screen that displays the EQD, EQM and EQS for the reservation that is about to be booked.

However, once booked, there is, seemingly, no way to view those values. When one is trying to govern status, by year end, it would be nice to know, to a level of precision, what is upcoming and how much is still needed. This is especially true for EQD, as that is not otherwise easily calculated.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EP
3 options:

1. call AA
2. do the math yourself
3. book the same itinerary (different days) at the same fare and when u get to the hold screen it should show if you are logged in. And then write it down.
Antarius likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: AA-EXP, UA-PS, SkyMiles, Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Thanks

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
3 options:

1. call AA
2. do the math yourself
3. book the same itinerary (different days) at the same fare and when u get to the hold screen it should show if you are logged in. And then write it down.

Thanks. I texted AA using the chat feature on the smart phone app. ("Contact American" and then "Chat") The agent did confirm that once booked, we can no longer see the values, but he was able to pull it up. He gave values to all three of my upcoming trips, including a split trip (2020/2021), giving me the value that is allocated to 2020. It is on the last point of inquiry that I was encountering a bit of a mystery box, thus making the second approach a bit of a pot shot.

I did find that using the Webflyer site, you nearly always will land on the right EQD, give or take a few miles. EQS is simple. EQD can be calculated from your ticket receipt, more often than not. Total price, minus taxes, plus airline imposed fees. Although, here too, it is not precise, as there remains sometimes are inconsistencies that are mysterious.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Calculating EQD after flying first segment?

I have a ticket where I've flown the outbound leg, and I'm having trouble estimating the remaining EQD I can expect to get for the return. The return flight in mid/late-Dec is likely to put me within +/-15 EQDs of crossing the 9k EQD threshold, so I want to calculate as precisely as possible what I'll earn. (i.e. do I need a MR at some point in the next 2 weeks?)

Ticket Details:
  • Outbound (flown): AA LHR-JFK, booked in Q, upgraded to C with SWU. Basis: QLW4C1M4.
  • Inbound (not flown yet): AA-marketed BA JFK-LHR, booked in I. Basis: ILW4C7S4
  • Total cost: $2172
  • Base fare: 1220GBP = $1606
EQD calcs:
  • My 2020 EQD balance: 7,646
  • EQDs posted for the first segment: 238
  • EQDs remaining to be earned on return flight: ???

If I very simplistically assume that EQD == base fare, then subtracting what's already posted I should expect another 1606-238 = 1368 EQD which would bring my total to 9,014. But is that the right assumption to make with that level of precision? I've looked at my previous tickets and the EQD almost never adds up to exactly the base fare which is concerning / a bit mysterious to me. It seems to be especially hard to reconcile on tickets where there's been a reissue due to SWU being applied (which was the case here too on the outbound leg as well).

I spoke to three AA agents today to ask this question and couldn't get a definitive answer. Chat rep via the AA app had no idea what is going on (thought the whole trip was in Y so told me it'll be the same as on the first leg). EXP desk said their reservation system shows them EQD earnings for unflown tickets but not once part of it has posted -- forwarded me to AAdvantage Customer Service who said it'll be "approximately equal to the base fare, so probably around 1300-1400". That leaves me with a 15 point margin, so I really want to get something more precise than that! Is anyone aware of a better way to calculate this?
Old Dec 3, 2020, 5:58 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by asdf098
I have a ticket where I've flown the outbound leg, and I'm having trouble estimating the remaining EQD I can expect to get for the return. The return flight in mid/late-Dec is likely to put me within +/-15 EQDs of crossing the 9k EQD threshold, so I want to calculate as precisely as possible what I'll earn. (i.e. do I need a MR at some point in the next 2 weeks?)

Ticket Details:
  • Outbound (flown): AA LHR-JFK, booked in Q, upgraded to C with SWU. Basis: QLW4C1M4.
  • Inbound (not flown yet): AA-marketed BA JFK-LHR, booked in I. Basis: ILW4C7S4
  • Total cost: $2172
  • Base fare: 1220GBP = $1606
EQD calcs:
  • My 2020 EQD balance: 7,646
  • EQDs posted for the first segment: 238
  • EQDs remaining to be earned on return flight: ???

If I very simplistically assume that EQD == base fare, then subtracting what's already posted I should expect another 1606-238 = 1368 EQD which would bring my total to 9,014. But is that the right assumption to make with that level of precision? I've looked at my previous tickets and the EQD almost never adds up to exactly the base fare which is concerning / a bit mysterious to me. It seems to be especially hard to reconcile on tickets where there's been a reissue due to SWU being applied (which was the case here too on the outbound leg as well).

I spoke to three AA agents today to ask this question and couldn't get a definitive answer. Chat rep via the AA app had no idea what is going on (thought the whole trip was in Y so told me it'll be the same as on the first leg). EXP desk said their reservation system shows them EQD earnings for unflown tickets but not once part of it has posted -- forwarded me to AAdvantage Customer Service who said it'll be "approximately equal to the base fare, so probably around 1300-1400". That leaves me with a 15 point margin, so I really want to get something more precise than that! Is anyone aware of a better way to calculate this?
It should be base fare + carrier imposed surcharges, so that might put you over the margin. I calculated the taxes on a similar itinerary to £139, so you may get £1649 worth of EQDs. You likely had to pay additional UK APD when you applied the SWU -- if this was included in the base price it will change.

Another consideration is that, if you paid in pounds, whether AA is using the exchange rate at time of payment or the exchange rate at time of posting. This may cause variability in EQDs.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 5:23 pm
SBT

Earning AAdvantage miles on Partner Airlines

American has partnerships on Alaska and Jet Blue. I am an AAdvantage member but not a Mileage Plan or True Blue Member. If I book a flight for LAX to JFK outbound on Alaska Air and return on Jet Blue will be able to earn AAdvantage miles? Flights are not code shares and will be booked on the corresponding airlines website. (www.alaskaair.com and www.jetblue.com)?
Old Feb 23, 2021, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SBT
American has partnerships on Alaska and Jet Blue. I am an AAdvantage member but not a Mileage Plan or True Blue Member. If I book a flight for LAX to JFK outbound on Alaska Air and return on Jet Blue will be able to earn AAdvantage miles? Flights are not code shares and will be booked on the corresponding airlines website. (www.alaskaair.com and www.jetblue.com)?
All information you need is on the AA web site
Enter you AA freq flyer number during the reservation process.
AA web site link----> AA Partner airlines Earn and redeem miles with our partner airlines
Old Feb 23, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Short Answer is you'll earn nothing on the JetBlue flight and you'll earn EQDs, EQMs, and RDMs based off of your fare code for Alaska flights.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:59 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by freeagent
...and you'll earn EQDs, EQMs, and RDMs based off of your fare code for Alaska flights.
Note that AS are in the process of re-jiggering their fare classes to align with OW and the linked chart reflects the old fare classes. Once the dust settles, this will change.

Cheers.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Apologies if this has been posted but I couldn't find it in here. I have a bunch of recent LHR <-> US trips -- AA metal, upgraded with SWUs -- and it seems like I'm only earning miles/EQD based on the base fare and NOT the carrier surcharge/YQ. This is problematic (I'll barely squeak by the $12k EQD threshold assuming everything posts properly) and also annoying. Anyone else had this issue? Am I stuck just calling AAdv customer service each time to get this fixed? Virtually all of my AA metal itineraries are long-haul (LHR to various US destinations)...
Old Dec 15, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Hi so I am totally unexperienced on this but I think I am close to Platinum and was just wanting to confirm I only have until Dec 31 to achieve? I only recently got Gold and it says the Gold doesnt expire until Jan 2023 so does that mean if I hit Plat it would also expire Jan 2023? But I only have 2 more weeks to get it?

I have 4485 for Dollars (EQD's) and 37850 Miles (EQM's).. I am nowhere close on Segments.. Are the Dollars I need just actual dollars so a $15 ticket and I have half of what I need lol. What about the Miles I am 2150 short are those just the normal calculated miles you get after a trip so basically a mid Transcon and I have it? Dont have a trip set for between now and 12/31 though but maybe it is worth it. Plat seems a a whole level better than Gold. With Gold you get nothing really cause everything is gone by the time it gets to Gold.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
You actually have until 28Feb to earn for this current year. So don't stress about finding something in the next 2 weeks, you actually have about 11 weeks to go.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
For an AS (I) Fare flight can someone double check my math. Just want to make sure I'm getting this right since I'm only doing this flight to clear PPro by the bare minimum.

10178 Miles Flown
=3053.4 EQD
=15267 EQM

Thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 3:28 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hawkfan7314
For an AS (I) Fare flight can someone double check my math. Just want to make sure I'm getting this right since I'm only doing this flight to clear PPro by the bare minimum.

10178 Miles Flown
=3053.4 EQD
=15267 EQM

Thanks.
All good.

Cheers.
hawkfan7314 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.