Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM, EQS & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

This thread is dedicated to questions, discussion, and answers, requests for calculation verification, assistance, input, etc. about earning
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) for travel as of 1 Jan 2016
  • Award / Redeemable Miles (RDM) for travel as of 1 Aug 2016
  • Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) fof travel as of 1 Jan 2017
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS)

See the relevant threads in the Wikipost for basic and specific information relating to these topics.

/Moderation team

Relevant threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016 ("Just the facts" Q&A, discussion, of new changes)

Link to AAdvantage spreadsheet /spreadsheets & apps available for download

Can I See / Estimate EQD / EQM / RDM After Booking, Before Flying?

No. You can see your estimated EQD - EQM - RDM earnings for AA marketed flights once you have selected flights on AA.com before you book, and you can see all your actual earnings once you have flown and the flights have posted to your AAdvantage account.

If you use a tool to break down your trip so you can see your base fare and carrier imposed fees you can calculate your estimated EQD (for those flights earning EQD using that method, AA marketed flights). For estimated EQM and RDM you can calculate based on flown miles, fare class credit, etc.

For further information, see aa.com:

AAdvantageŽ earning estimates - FAQ
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link

Q. Will I be able to view my expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American and by other airlines online?

A. You will be able to view your expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American Airlines. Trips including flights marketed by other airlines will not display your expected earnings at this time.

Q. Where can I see how many award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits I can expect to earn for my trip on aa.com?

A. This information is displayed on aa.com after you’ve selected your flights, just prior to purchasing your reservation, on the Review and Pay page.

Q. Will promotional bonuses from special offers be included in the AAdvantageŽ earnings displayed?

A. No, promotional bonuses will only be displayed when your flight is posted to your account.

Q. Do I need to include my AAdvantageŽ number in order to view my expected earnings?

A. Yes, you will need to include your AAdvantageŽ number at the time of booking to view your expected earnings.

Q. Can I retrieve my expected earnings after I’ve purchased my trip online or for reservations booked elsewhere that can be viewed online?

A. No, you will only be able to view your expected earnings prior to purchasing your ticket on the Review and Pay page online.

Q. Why are the earnings shown referred to as estimates and expected earnings?

A. Award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits shown could differ from what you actually earn if you change your ticket, your elite status level changes or due to currency fluctuations for purchases not made in USD.

FT: Q. What are the rules governing earning AAdvantage miles etc. on codeshares?

1. AA codeshares earn as if you were flying AA, regardless of which airline operates them.

2. oneworld airline codeshares operated by oneworld airlines earn according to the marketing airline (airline whose flight is being flown, e.g. CX operated by JL earns as CX. oneworld marketed flights (codeshares) operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EI operated by BA, do not earn AAdvantage miles. Other airline-marketed flights operated by AA earn as if you were flying the marketing airline.

3. Exceptions include Qantas/ QF codeshares operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EY, FJ, etc.; many JL flights operated by non-oneworld airlines and some AY flights operated by non-oneworld airlines do earn AAdvantage miles.

4. Where you buy your tickets is irrelevant.

The 2017 thread can be read here.

The 2016 thread can be read here.

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM, EQS & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
You need to look at the specific breakdown of the taxes and fees amount. Although taxes do not count there are some carrier imposed fees that do. This is a possible source of the difference.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA ExP
I found an awesome AA fare published from KTM (Kathmandu) to NYC which allows travel on KA and then AA via DFW. It books into the below buckets for each flight:-

KTM-HKG via KA - I Class
HKG-DFW via AA - R class
DFW -NYC via AA - J class

Now the ticket can be issued on JL or AA stock so If i can find an agent to issue it on JL stock would it post using the "special fare chart" or do they somehow share the fare info to calculate it with the fare method? The EQM difference would be in the of 3k betwen the methods.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by jmAAn
I found an awesome AA fare published from KTM (Kathmandu) to NYC which allows travel on KA and then AA via DFW. It books into the below buckets for each flight:-

KTM-HKG via KA - I Class
HKG-DFW via AA - R class
DFW -NYC via AA - J class

Now the ticket can be issued on JL or AA stock so If i can find an agent to issue it on JL stock would it post using the "special fare chart" or do they somehow share the fare info to calculate it with the fare method? The EQM difference would be in the of 3k betwen the methods.
Ticketing stock generally doesn't matter, marketing carrier does. If this is a normal published fare with KA/AA/AA flight numbers then you will earn miles based on distance for the KTM-HKG segment and fare for HKG-DFW-NYC.

Special fares come into play with vacation packages, bulk and consolidator fares, etc., just booking on another carrier's stock will not typically trigger a special fare (AA will definitely have visibility to the fare info).
jmAAn likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: AA PPro
Hmm, waiting for this flight to post and had to call AAadvantage and the person on the end of the line said that "I" class earns 14% of "base" miles (which are 70% of miles flown) rather than total miles flown. Was the person wrong? EXP status on the line.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tfizzle
Hmm, waiting for this flight to post and had to call AAadvantage and the person on the end of the line said that "I" class earns 14% of "base" miles (which are 70% of miles flown) rather than total miles flown. Was the person wrong? EXP status on the line.
Which flight on which airline and what is it you are asking about ? award miles, qualifying miles or qualifying dollars?

EQM and EQD are based on percentage of flown miles, not percentage of award miles

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 21, 2018 at 12:49 pm
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:09 pm

JAL 802 and JAL 18 . TPE-NRT-YVR . 6029 miles flown, but only 70% base miles for RDM. I need at least $800 EQD and 70% base would only yield $590
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tfizzle
JAL 802 and JAL 18 . TPE-NRT-YVR . 6029 miles flown, but only 70% base miles for RDM. I need at least $800 EQD and 70% base would only yield $590
It is based on the flown miles, not based on the 70% award miles - exactly as it says on the JL earning page
tfizzle likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum. Delta Platinum.
Flying Cathay but crediting to AAdvantage please check my EQM/EQD Calculations

I'm an AA Exec Plat and rarely fly partner airlines. My client booked me on Cathay Pacific via the Cathay website (LHR-HKG-PER Round-Trip in Business Class - Fare Code I) and its crediting to my AAdvantage account. My flight leaves in 2 days and I'll be back in London before the end of the year so the calculations are based on 2018 AAdvantage/ Cathay Earnings.

Would someone be kind enough to check my math on EQM / EQD for AAdvantage.

LHR-HKG 5,994 mi
HKG-PER 3,733 mi
PER-HKG 3,733 mi
HKG-LHR 5,994 mi
TOTAL 19,454 miles distance per Great Circle Map

EQM = 19,454 x 1.5 = 29,181 EQM into AAdvantage Account

EQD = 19,454 x 0.25 = $4,863.50 EQD into AAdvantage Account.

Would anyone be kind enough to check my calculations. If my calculations are correct it will requalify me for Exec Plat status. But my math is wrong I'd love to know so that I can plan a small mileage run to make sure I requalify.

Huge Thanks in advance for any assistance
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:02 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Your math is correct - have a good trip to PER
JDiver and fx1099 like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:43 am

Thanks to the FT group for expert Advice and better than the folks at AA who game me incorrect information about partner flights. . Just requalified with 12030 EQD and 123000 EQM.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:37 am

AA platinum earning for JAL/JL - AS / Alaska flights

I status challenge for AA platinum (with temp status). It’s not difficult to get the status but just want to make sure I get the EQD for the whole year to remain Plat for 2020.

Anyways I was planning SIN-ABQ, ABQ-SCE, SCE-SIN
(have attached tentative booking)

My understanding is that SIN-NRT-SEA-ABQ route will be JAL and Alaska.
So should JAL earn as 10%, and no EQD for the Alaska portion?

And the rest of my itinerary (ABQ-SCE, SCE-SIN) will earn the EGD per AA quidelines? Also, for this itinerary, I’m farley flexible for most of my flights.

PS: I’ll be flying to Asia and back pretty often, any recs for ways to make sure I can increase EGD? Or any preferences from you Gurus? Thanks

Last edited by koovoodoo; Apr 10, 2019 at 6:43 am
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:45 am

And...sorry looks like I wasn’t able to attach photo?

Basically flight is
SIN-NRT-SEA-ABQ (JAL/Alaska)
ABQ-ORD-SCE (AA)
SCE-ORD-NRT-SIN (AA/JAL)
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
JAL has very attractive PEY fares KUL-NRT-ORD....
PEY apparently generates very attractive EQD when crediting to AA (when compared to original cost) Works better than plain Y in most other programs as well.

When AA changed its million miler program, I sought other pastures.

Just wandering
Fred
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:55 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Moving this to the AA board.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
The AS SEA-ABQ flight will earn zippo if it is marketed as an AS flight. However, if it's marketed as a JL flight, I believe it will earn miles. For most oneworld partners, a flight has to be operated by a oneworld carrier. JL does not appear to have that restriction (emphasis added):
To earn AAdvantageŽ miles when you fly on Japan Airlines marketed and operated flights as well as Japan Airlines codeshare flights operated by other carriers including oneworldŽ carriers and affiliates
I know that Qantas has similar language and there is no requirement that a QF-marketed flight be operated by a oneworld carrier. If SEA-ABQ is marketed as an AA flight (unlikely), it will earn EQMs according to the AA chart and EQDs as a fraction of the total fare paid (which is difficult or impossible to parse in advance).

Anyway, what matters is the marketing carrier for each of your flights. That could be any of JL, AS, and AA for the flights you listed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.