Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM, EQS & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

This thread is dedicated to questions, discussion, and answers, requests for calculation verification, assistance, input, etc. about earning
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) for travel as of 1 Jan 2016
  • Award / Redeemable Miles (RDM) for travel as of 1 Aug 2016
  • Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) fof travel as of 1 Jan 2017
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS)

See the relevant threads in the Wikipost for basic and specific information relating to these topics.

/Moderation team

Relevant threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016 ("Just the facts" Q&A, discussion, of new changes)

Link to AAdvantage spreadsheet /spreadsheets & apps available for download

Can I See / Estimate EQD / EQM / RDM After Booking, Before Flying?

No. You can see your estimated EQD - EQM - RDM earnings for AA marketed flights once you have selected flights on AA.com before you book, and you can see all your actual earnings once you have flown and the flights have posted to your AAdvantage account.

If you use a tool to break down your trip so you can see your base fare and carrier imposed fees you can calculate your estimated EQD (for those flights earning EQD using that method, AA marketed flights). For estimated EQM and RDM you can calculate based on flown miles, fare class credit, etc.

For further information, see aa.com:

AAdvantage earning estimates - FAQ
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link

Q. Will I be able to view my expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American and by other airlines online?

A. You will be able to view your expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American Airlines. Trips including flights marketed by other airlines will not display your expected earnings at this time.

Q. Where can I see how many award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits I can expect to earn for my trip on aa.com?

A. This information is displayed on aa.com after youve selected your flights, just prior to purchasing your reservation, on the Review and Pay page.

Q. Will promotional bonuses from special offers be included in the AAdvantage earnings displayed?

A. No, promotional bonuses will only be displayed when your flight is posted to your account.

Q. Do I need to include my AAdvantage number in order to view my expected earnings?

A. Yes, you will need to include your AAdvantage number at the time of booking to view your expected earnings.

Q. Can I retrieve my expected earnings after Ive purchased my trip online or for reservations booked elsewhere that can be viewed online?

A. No, you will only be able to view your expected earnings prior to purchasing your ticket on the Review and Pay page online.

Q. Why are the earnings shown referred to as estimates and expected earnings?

A. Award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits shown could differ from what you actually earn if you change your ticket, your elite status level changes or due to currency fluctuations for purchases not made in USD.

FT: Q. What are the rules governing earning AAdvantage miles etc. on codeshares?

1. AA codeshares earn as if you were flying AA, regardless of which airline operates them.

2. oneworld airline codeshares operated by oneworld airlines earn according to the marketing airline (airline whose flight is being flown, e.g. CX operated by JL earns as CX. oneworld marketed flights (codeshares) operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EI operated by BA, do not earn AAdvantage miles. Other airline-marketed flights operated by AA earn as if you were flying the marketing airline.

3. Exceptions include Qantas/ QF codeshares operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EY, FJ, etc.; many JL flights operated by non-oneworld airlines and some AY flights operated by non-oneworld airlines do earn AAdvantage miles.

4. Where you buy your tickets is irrelevant.

The 2017 thread can be read here.

The 2016 thread can be read here.

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis

This new thread is dedicated to questions, discussion, and answers, requests for calculation verification, assistance, input, etc. about earning
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) for travel as of 1 Jan 2016

• Award / Redeemable Miles (RDM) for travel as of 1 Aug 2016

• Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) fof travel as of 1 Jan 2017
See the relevant threads in the Wikipost for basic and specific information relating to these topics.

If you can not see the wikipost:
  • Wikiposts currently can not be seen with the mobile skin

• You can go to the "wikipost" blue menu bar at the top of a thread page and click on the "-" sign at the right end of the bar, which minimizes all wikis. You can turn wiki posts "on" by clicking the "+" in the same menu bar when you wish.)

• You may have Wikiposts turned off in your settings

If so, in "My FlyerTalk - Your Control Panel - Edit Options - Miscellaneous options" see

Wikipost Hide All

Hide all Wiki Posts in Threads
[] Hide all wikiposts

and reset as needed.
/Moderation team

Some examples

Example using AS / Alaska Airlines, P class:
OAK-KOA (2,380 miles distance)
EQM: 3,570
EQS: 1 EQD: 714
BASE AWD.: 2,380
BONUS AWD: 4,046
TOTAL AWARD MILES: 6,426

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 29, 2017 at 10:24 pm Reason: Update for use
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: AA EXP.
I just did a fare change to higher class Y to P and they collected $311 would that be included in EQD?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does AA include QR fuel surcharge in its EQD calculation?

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Mar 1, 2018 at 9:11 pm
Old Mar 2, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: AA EP
If it is a QR fuel surcharge and not an AA codeshare fuel surcharge, it is a QR marketed flight so the QR fuel surcharge shouldnt come into play as all QR marketed flights will post by the distance method.

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does AA include QR fuel surcharge in its EQD calculation?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:59 am
SCS

AAdvantage credit for AY-marketed flight from Asia to Australia?

I'm looking at business class itineraries from Europe to Australia marketed by AY, in which AY flies the Europe-Asia segments and CX or QF fly the Asia-Australia segments (e.g., AY 5013 from SIN to MEL, operated by QF). Fare class is D or I. The D fares are especially appealing because AY D fares earn EQDs at 40% of miles flown, and yet the cost is quite reasonable.

My question is whether AA will give credit for segments between Asia and Australia, given that South Pacific is not listed among the regions on the Finnair page in the Partner Airlines section of the AA site. An obvious explanation for that omission is that AY metal does not fly to South Pacific. But I'm concerned that AA could deny credit on the basis that South Pacific is not a valid region. I would greatly appreciate insight from anyone who may have experience with this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SCS
I'm looking at business class itineraries from Europe to Australia marketed by AY, in which AY flies the Europe-Asia segments and CX or QF fly the Asia-Australia segments (e.g., AY 5013 from SIN to MEL, operated by QF). Fare class is D or I. The D fares are especially appealing because AY D fares earn EQDs at 40% of miles flown, and yet the cost is quite reasonable.

My question is whether AA will give credit for segments between Asia and Australia, given that South Pacific is not listed among the regions on the Finnair page in the Partner Airlines section of the AA site. An obvious explanation for that omission is that AY metal does not fly to South Pacific. But I'm concerned that AA could deny credit on the basis that South Pacific is not a valid region. I would greatly appreciate insight from anyone who may have experience with this.
You will earn miles for it. The "Earn and Redeem Miles with..." section is only meant as a rough guide to where each partner carrier flies their own metal, not as a comprehensive list of what flights will or will not earn credit. Any flights that won't earn will be specifically called out under the "Exceptions" area at each partner page.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 12:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
As long as it is AY marketed and operated by a oneworld airline youll earn in accordance with the AY chart on aa.com.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton HHonors Gold
EQD/EQM earning rates on BA Codeshare/AA Metal

I have an upcoming booking with BA for ORD-LHR and LHR-ORD, both operated by AA as a BA Codeshare, and have inserted my AAdvantage number for earning, however I was unsure of whether I will earn according to AAdvantage's BA class rules or AA's, as there's a difference. When I open the booking on the AA website, it shows up with AA flight numbers, not BAs, which is where my confusion comes from, does AAdvantage see AA operated flights and credit as such? Or will it still credit through the BA rates? I haven't been on codeshares like this before with AAdvantage/AA metal and just wanted to check as I couldn't find anything online. Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by alancostello
I have an upcoming booking with BA for ORD-LHR and LHR-ORD, both operated by AA as a BA Codeshare, and have inserted my AAdvantage number for earning, however I was unsure of whether I will earn according to AAdvantage's BA class rules or AA's, as there's a difference. When I open the booking on the AA website, it shows up with AA flight numbers, not BAs, which is where my confusion comes from, does AAdvantage see AA operated flights and credit as such? Or will it still credit through the BA rates? I haven't been on codeshares like this before with AAdvantage/AA metal and just wanted to check as I couldn't find anything online. Thanks!
If you booked the BA flight numbers then it will credit according to the BA earning chart, regardless of what flight numbers aa.com may display after booking.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If you booked the BA flight numbers then it will credit according to the BA earning chart, regardless of what flight numbers aa.com may display after booking.
Great! Thanks for the clarification, just wanted to be sure so I know where I'll stand with status progress!
Old May 25, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG LT Gold, HHonors Silver
Earning AA miles on Royal Jordanian flights (to merge)

Hello all-

I am trying to book a trip for later this year, LAX-DXB.in paid First or Business. The only choices the AA website gives me are AA or BA flights, even when I choose the All Airlines option. I would prefer to avoid BA. I found some decently scheduled flights on the RJ website and am wondering if I can earn AA miles if I book RJ flights on the RJ website. Or can I only earn AA miles when booking on the AA website?
TIA!
Old May 25, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
aa.com is your friend: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...-jordanian.jsp

Last edited by JDiver; May 25, 2018 at 7:44 am Reason: Add underscore
Old May 25, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG LT Gold, HHonors Silver
<redacted> The information on AA.com does not make it clear if I still earn AA miles when booking flights on the ROYAL JORDANIAN WEBSITE as opposed to the AMERICAN AIRLINES WEBSITE. That's all I am trying to find out. Thank you.

Last edited by JDiver; May 25, 2018 at 7:45 am Reason: Redacted unfriendly supposition
Old May 25, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by linire
<redacted> The information on AA.com does not make it clear if I still earn AA miles when booking flights on the ROYAL JORDANIAN WEBSITE as opposed to the AMERICAN AIRLINES WEBSITE. That's all I am trying to find out. Thank you.
The AA page to which you were referred says "Royal Jordanian marketed and operated", i.e. purchased from them. It's also a basic feature of all alliances

Last edited by JDiver; May 25, 2018 at 7:46 am Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old May 25, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by linire
Why would it matter where you bought the ticket? You could buy it from expedia, priceline, the chase portal, a travel agent, etc, it doesn't matter. What matters is the airline and booking code. I didn't realize this needed to be specifically stated.
FlytheTail and KBMIFlyer like this.

Last edited by JDiver; May 25, 2018 at 7:46 am Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.