Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage & protection issues > 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
oneworld announces alliance airlines no longer required to honor missed connections or interline baggage for those on separate PNRs

NOTE: See AA Protection on separate oneworld tickets / PNR

AA policy: “Through Checked Baggage Policy – Separate Tickets“ - see PDF available attached to post #1.

Background:
Originally Posted by OAG

According to OAG’s most recent report, “Self-Connection: The Rise and Roadblocks of a Growing Travel Booking Strategy,” 40 percent of U.S. travellers are bypassing typical booking practices, such as through an airline, travel agency or OTA, and are beginning to self-connect when they travel.

Self-connecting passengers are defined as those that book separate tickets to fly from City A to City C, via City B.

Already popular in Europe, self-connecting is beginning to increase in popularity in the U.S. market as passengers look to save money. Passengers can mix and match airlines in order to score the best deal or connect through a city they would like to visit on the way to their final destination. But what are some of the roadblocks and challenges to successfully self-connect, and how can airlines or airports make this process easier?
oneworld airlines are not required to provide connecting passenger protection of through checked baggage to passengers on separate PNRs; individual airlines may still choose to do so, but it is not required. AA, BA, QF (9/2016) have modified their policies regarding connection protection and baggage through checking of passengers flying on separate PNRs. Read on. (Yes, it means on separate PNRs AA won't even through check on AA to AA - link to ODF.))

Qatar Airways / QR has verified as of 1 March 2017 they will interline baggage on separate PNRs. They must be the first airline (not one honoring the original oneworld policy) one checks in with, and the connection must meet MCT (usually two hours). See more in post quoted below, and link to Australian Business Traveller article. (26 Feb 2017)

MH / Malaysia Airlines STILL HONOR connection protection and through checking / interlining on separate PNRs.

Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon reversed their policy and through check baggage on separate PNRs as of 1 Jan 2017. See post #1.

JL / Japan Airlines began through checking to oneworld partners again in Oct 2016.

Qatar Airways will through check baggage to oneworld partners if it’s the trip origin airline.

See Wikipost for this thread in oneworld forum for the list of oneworld airlines and known through checking policies.

Link to American Airlines' policy on through checking baggage as of 1 Sep 2016. Notice that different protocols are followed in IROPS / OSO conditions.

As well, “if you book an award ticket and a paid ticket at the same time, there are mixed reports here of well trained agents being able to combine these into a single PNR at the time of booking, which enables bags to be through checked. But this takes a good agent, probably several HUCAs, and can only be done at the time of booking. “ - JJeffrey

Code:
Through Checked Baggage Policy (AA, 1 Sep 2016) (link to PDF)

To align American Airlines (AA) with our oneworld partners and to reduce
baggage mishandlings, we will now only through check customers and
baggage when all the tickets are in the same PNR.

Through check-in will be honored between the following carriers only:
  • Code:
    American Airlines and American Eagle
    • Code:
       oneworld airlines and affiliates

Code:
What if I have separate tickets in the same PNR for itineraries with
American to a non-oneworld carrier?

"Our policy on American to non-oneworld airline tickets has not changed.
We will not through check customers or bags even if the tickets are in
the same PNR."

What would be the bag charges if the customer holds separate tickets
in separate PNRs?

American will not through check a customer’s bag, regardless if it is
a oneworld carrier. The customer will need to collect their bag at
the final destination on the AA ticket. They will pay for the bag on the
second ticket when they recheck it. This may involve exiting the secure
area, then claiming and re-checking the bags. The Minimum Connecting
Time (MCT) will usually not be sufficient when the customer has separate
tickets issued for each airline.

International flights on separate PNRs (or to non-oneworld carriers) will usually require claiming bags, clearing customs and rechecking bags on another carrier to be continued to their next destination.

What will customers be charged if we can through check the bag?

The charges would depend on what tickets the customer holds in the same PNR.

Do Alaska and our other codeshare/interline partners count as affiliate airlines?

No, the oneworld affiliate airlines are generally the regional partners of the other oneworld carriers. If a customer held an AS ticket and an AA ticket in the same PNR we would not through check the bag. They would need to reclaim then recheck their bag with AS.
When issuing separate tickets it is important your customer be informed that American is unable to ‘through-check' bags with 2 separate tickets (PNRs) if they are traveling on American and non-oneworld carriers. This will result in an airport check-in representative collecting the required baggage fees based on each airline's established policies.

Please advise the customer to allow additional time to claim their baggage, present the required travel documents to enter the country, if relevant, and meet check-in requirements for the connecting flight. The Minimum Connecting Time (MCT) will usually not be sufficient when the customer has separate tickets issued for each airline.

Link

(One PNR can be comprised of several tickets - up to 16, if memory serves.)

Australian Business Traveller (in part): “Despite the two airlines' (AA and QF) joint venture across the Pacific, check-in staff are no longer obliged to tag your baggage through to your final destination from September 1 2016 if your flights are booked separately (separate ONRs) rather than under the one reservation.”

Instead, those bags will only be tagged as far as the destination shown on each individual booking – not where you’re actually headed at the end of the trip. Both Qantas and American Airlines have confirmed the new arrangements to Australian Business Traveller.
Those also announcing they will NOT HONOR connection protection and through checking / interlining on separate PNRs, even on oneworld airline partners. (AA still honors connection protection if your next flight is on AA.)

E.g. CX new policy in line with above:

"+ oneworld Ticketing and Disruption Policy 01 Jun 2016

Separate Ticket Policy - Revised Through Check in Handling

With effect from 01 Jun 2016, all oneworld carriers have agreed that through* check-in will apply ONLY to passengers travelling on an oneworld itinerary ticketed on a single ticket or where segments are ticketed separately but in the same PNR.

*=Through services are defined as the customer and their baggage being through checked to their final destinations.

To align with the change, disruption policy will also be revised to exclude protection for passengers holding separate tickets that is not booked under the same PNR."
NOTE: CX will still offer protection and baggage interlining between Cathay Pacific and Cathay Dragon.

Oneworld (sic) communications chief Michael Blunt tells Australian Business Traveller that “individual member airlines are free to offer service above and beyond the (Oneworld) alliance minimum standard if they so choose, so some may continue to offer through check-in for customers travelling on separate bookings.”

"All our member airlines will be delighted to continue to check them and their baggage through to any of the 1,000 plus destinations on the alliance network, on multiple sectors,” Blunt says, “provided the itinerary is all on one booking so we are aware of where they and their baggage want to end up and we can plan accordingly and ensure the best possible customer service delivery throughout the journey.”

M. Blunt, as quoted in Australian Business Traveller
Gary Leff, View from the Wing, 16 Aug 2016: reached out to American and learned this new policy goes into effect September 1 although I’m not sure how they can retroactively apply it to tickets purchased before the new policy was implemented.

There’s one small saving grace. Customers traveling on separate tickets where one segment is an award ticket and another has been purchased can through-check bags. Travel must be on American or oneworld partners, and not on partners outside the oneworld alliance (like Etihad or Air Tahiti Nui). Tickets much be in the same reservation. Link
"
  • If you’re booked on two separate PNRs on oneworld carriers, you’ve previously been able to check your bags through to your final destination
  • If you’re booked on two separate tickets on oneworld carriers, you’ve been protected in the event of a misconnect or cancelation

As of June 1, 2016, the oneworld alliance has eliminated these benefits for passengers booked on separate tickets. Oneworld carriers no longer have to check your bags through to other oneworld carriers if booked on a separate ticket, and no longer have to protect you in the event of a misconnect when on separate tickets."

Link to full article in Boarding Area
"In a move which could cause connection chaos for many travellers, airlines belonging to the Oneworld (sic) alliance ... are no longer required to check passengers and their baggage through to their final destination on some connecting flights.

"The new scheme, which came into effect from June 1st (2016), impacts passengers whose journey involves flights on more than one airline where their travel encompasses more than one booking, rather than all flights being listed under a single booking reference. "

But, good news for those flying Qatar Airways:

Originally Posted by JDiver
Important change! Qatar Airways has announced they will no longer adhere to oneworld's draconian baggage transfer policy when flights are booked on separate PNRs.

As long as MCT / minimum connection times are met, QR will interline baggage on separate oneworld PNRs as of 1 March 2017.

Australian Business Traveller found the change in the QR ground services manual issued 23 Feb 2017, verified by a QR spokesperson.

NOTE: If one is beginning travel with a one world airline adhering to the oneworld policy and continuing on Qatar, one flying on separate PNRs is still going to have to collect baggage and recheck with QR.

E.g. SFO-LAX on AA, LAX-DOH-CMB on QR, two PNRs - the first sector on AA, remainder on QR, AA will not respect QR ground handling rules so one will have to recover baggage at LAX and transfer it to the QR checkin counter.

(Added to Wikipost 26 Feb 2017)

Link to full article on Australian Business Traveller
Link to update of Aus BT article with airline announcements of their positions

On FT: oneworld no longer interlining between separate tickets / PNRs?

On FT: BA no longer interlining baggage with separate tickets

On FT: CX will not interline to other oneworld airlines if travelling on separate PNRs

On FT: JAL will continue to interline to other oneworld carriers on separate PNRs (4 Oct 2016)

On FT: Qantas - no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep (2016) [some exceptions]

Archived previous thread: ARCHIVE: Change to through-checking Oct 2014 (interlining) baggage on separate tickets

Updated 26 Feb 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Separate ticketing / PNR: AA, oneworld, through baggage & protection issues > 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:46 pm
HAF

Thumbs down

I just realized that I won't be able to interline from AA to LATAM at LAX - (my ticket LAX-LIM-LAX was ticketed a while ago as part of a package tour) and I thought since both airlines are oneworld i thought i should be able to check my luggage through SFO-LAX_LIM-LAX-SFO AA/LA; however per this thread seems I will not (AA confirmed on the phone as well) even though there seems to be some protection for rebooking in case of IRROPS.

Since Alaska/Virgin interline with LATAM (shame on oneworld!) - i am planning to book the outbound through them - so I do not have to deal with schlepping luggage through LAX - however what is your advice on the return? Since I will have to pick up and get through custom's is it relatively easy to drop off at AA after customs, same as when on same ticket? Or would I have to go out and back to the domestic terminal to drop my luggage at the domestic counter? Or should I just also do Alaska/Virgin on the return?

Why would even Oneworld be called an Alliance if they can not check luggage through each other?

-HAF
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:49 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Was this correct? Agent refused to check bags through two AA reservations

I am flying DEN PHL LGA ... LGA PHL BUF

Originally had a 10 hour layover in LGA, which was changed to 45 minutes layover in LGA due to hurricane Jose.

check in counter associate named <removed by moderator> in Denver told me that she will not check my bags thru to Buffalo because people "frequently book tickets like this to save money". I said, I have a 45 minute layover in LGA. I will miss my connection if I have to re check my bags. She said nothing she will do- I asked to speak to her supervisor, "she will tell you the same thing"

mgr comes over I say, as a oneworld sapphire I was rebooked like this due to the HURRICANE you are absolutely going to make me miss my connection if you can't check it through. She tells me to speak to somebody in LGA to get rebooked because she won't do anything

I did not think this was a big task, but also <name removed by moderator> said I booked this to save money, calling me cheap! Any customer this is a huge insult, but I am also oneworld sapphire. When the mgr came over I called <name removed by moderator> out on this she said she didn't say it.

were they right about being unable to check my bags through to buffalo? sending a complaint into AA primarily about this agent questioning my motives for booking these two reservations, months apart, because that's just how my schedule dictated it

Last edited by JY1024; Sep 20, 2017 at 9:10 am Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#privacy
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:16 am

They were correct. AA doesn't through-check luggage on separate reservations.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Djokison
They were correct. AA doesn't through-check luggage on separate reservations.
thank you. Though I did have this happen once with AA but I guess it was us air.. lga phl buf - two separate reservations .. towards the end of their merger they checked it all the way through even though I had booked points / cash reservation. guess US Air was more flexible with their customers
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Yes, AA policy is not to check bags through if you are on two separate reservations... even if both were on AA. Even if you're a Oneworld Sapphire. This unfriendly change occurred about a year ago.

How did you end up with the shorter connection though? Did you encounter flight cancellations, or did you preemptively rebook under a waiver? If you were rebooked due to cancelled flights, I wouldn't find it unreasonable to think an agent might waive this rule as part of service recovery. Though I don't know how empowered the agents really are...
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
Yes, AA policy is not to check bags through if you are on two separate reservations... even if both were on AA. Even if you're a Oneworld Sapphire. This unfriendly change occurred about a year ago.

How did you end up with the shorter connection though? Did you encounter flight cancellations, or did you preemptively rebook under a waiver? If you were rebooked due to cancelled flights, I wouldn't find it unreasonable to think an agent might waive this rule as part of service recovery. Though I don't know how empowered the agents really are...
after looking over my reservations today I realized I had a such a long layover in LGA and no longer needed to be in New York. When I checked in it said there was a travel waiver so I was just checking to see if I could have a shorter connection in LGA .. the website said I could change it to just 45 minutes! For $0 so of course I change it. I wasn't originally going through Philadelphia twice - but that just was the option offered. Of course when <name removed by moderator> saw that towards the end of the confrontation she said "hmmmm... you're going through PHL twice? Hmmmmmmmmmmm ok!" clearly trying to accuse me of something else.

I would think a customer clearly missing his connection due to this would be cause enough to make this great exception but what do I know

Last edited by JY1024; Sep 20, 2017 at 9:10 am Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#privacy
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:17 am

Landed in Philadelphia explained that I would miss my connection if the bag wasn't checked all the way through she typed a few things on her computer told me to pick my bags up in Buffalo. Thank you PHL!

what miserable employees they have in Denver
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; AC 100K
To be fair, they have miserable employees at most hubs... and outstations... and airports they fly to...

Race to the bottom.

I mean, going for great.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The PHL agent risks being disciplined if your bag goes missing and AA winds up paying out to you. So, thank them all you want, but an employee has put herself at personal risk. Would you do that for her?

The fist agent was correct. AA follows the OW policy which is not to check bags across tickets. Period.

The first agent should not have given you a policy argument. It is irrelevant whether AA did this out of spite, to make multiple ticketing less attractive or for the stated reason.

The ironic thing is that had you claimed your bag at LGA, checked back in and missed your onwards flight, AA's rebooking policy would have covered you because AA, unlike other carriers, rebooks across its own and OW tickets in IRROPS.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1
The fist agent was correct. AA follows the OW policy which is not to check bags across SEPARATE tickets. Period.
A slight edit needed to avoid confusion.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Often1
The fist agent was correct. AA follows the OW policy which is not to check bags across tickets. Period.
No, let's be clear: OW does not have a policy on this. OW used to have a policy requiring member airlines to through check bags, but dropped that policy. That does not mean OW forbids it... AA is perfectly free to check bags through if they desire, particularly on their own metal. Just like OW no longer requires rebooking through final destination in the event of IROPS spanning multiple reservations, but AA still does anyway.
JonNYC and Assimilated Cajun like this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

Originally had a 10 hour layover in LGA, which was changed to 45 minutes layover in LGA due to hurricane Jose.

check in counter associate named <removed by moderator> in Denver told me that she will not check my bags thru to Buffalo because people "frequently book tickets like this to save money". I said, I have a 45 minute layover in LGA. I will miss my connection if I have to re check my bags. She said nothing she will do- I asked to speak to her supervisor, "she will tell you the same thing"

mgr comes over I say, as a oneworld sapphire I was rebooked like this due to the HURRICANE you are absolutely going to make me miss my connection if you can't check it through. She tells me to speak to somebody in LGA to get rebooked because she won't do anything

I did not think this was a big task, but also <name removed by moderator> said I booked this to save money, calling me cheap! Any customer this is a huge insult, but I am also oneworld sapphire. When the mgr came over I called <name removed by moderator> out on this she said she didn't say it.

were they right about being unable to check my bags through to buffalo? sending a complaint into AA primarily about this agent questioning my motives for booking these two reservations, months apart, because that's just how my schedule dictated it
First, I see no reason to name names here. The agent was following policy, which has been announced on this site in the past. Additionally, by your own statement the agent didn't say you booked it this way to save money, you indicated "people frequently" did this. That is NOT a false statement. People do that to save money. She was giving a possible explanation for the policy, not telling you this is why you did it. The problem is NOT with the agents at that location, as they are following the policy of AA. I do not condemn employees for following company policies. If you have a complaint about the policy, complain to the corporate headquarters.

Last edited by JY1024; Sep 20, 2017 at 9:11 am Reason: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#privacy
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Even if you hadn't been caught by the unfortunate "no through check on separate reservations" policy, the agent in DEN still wouldn't have been able to check your bags all the way through to BUF due to transiting PHL twice.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

after looking over my reservations today I realized I had a such a long layover in LGA and no longer needed to be in New York. When I checked in it said there was a travel waiver so I was just checking to see if I could have a shorter connection in LGA .. the website said I could change it to just 45 minutes! For $0 so of course I change it.
Let's be fair here.

At first you said the schedule was changed due to the hurricane, then later you said you changed it because you no longer needed to be in New York for 10 hours.

The Denver agent was following policy. They do not check through bags on separate tickets. Originally, you were OK with that as you must have needed your bags while in New York. Now after you decided to make a change to a 45 minute layover, you are upset because that did not give you enough time to collect and re-check your bags.

A smarter alternative would have been to reschedule to include a longer connection, knowing that you need time to claim and re-check your bags.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Let's be fair here.

At first you said the schedule was changed due to the hurricane, then later you said you changed it because you no longer needed to be in New York for 10 hours.

The Denver agent was following policy. They do not check through bags on separate tickets. Originally, you were OK with that as you must have needed your bags while in New York. Now after you decided to make a change to a 45 minute layover, you are upset because that did not give you enough time to collect and re-check your bags.

A smarter alternative would have been to reschedule to include a longer connection, knowing that you need time to claim and re-check your bags.
the travel waiver was in place because of the hurricane .. so I changed my reservation due to the hurricane .. I didn't say I was directly impacted by it.

I did not know I needed to claim and re check my bags. In fact I did not even consider that it would be an issue. My
only point of reference for merging reservations was a few years ago on US Air/AA and they did it no questions asked. Sure ignorance of the rules is no excuse and now I know for future reference. But as I thought, and experienced in PHL just an hour ago, it is actually quite simple to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.