Wiki Posts
Search

AA's atrocious mobile app

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: OZ Diamond+ Lifetime, JL Diamond
Originally Posted by alphaod
It's better than the CX app.
Indeed it is, although that bar is quite low.

JL has the most useless mobile app for me personally, primarily because the interface is entirely in Japanese, which I can't read.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
As a recent new AA flyer (horribly unsatisfied 1K) I was amazed how crappy the AA app is. I am no UA apologist but one thing they did get right was their app.

No award search? No search by non stop? No seat maps? No SDC?
cuthroat likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
I wish I could use the app and electronic boarding pass.

Our accounting department, still living in the 19th century, requires us to turn in boarding passes, so I have to print all of mine. Major pain.

I don't use the app that often except to check in, but I haven't had any problem. Then again, I have to admit that I used my iPad Mini once when the printers were down, and it worked like a charm. Awkward, but it worked.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
While I agree that the AA app is pretty bad, one thing that has been mentioned in a few posts here is that you can't change seats within the app. With the latest release, you now can change seats within the native app. (at least on Android)
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by pharmalady
I wish I could use the app and electronic boarding pass.

Our accounting department, still living in the 19th century, requires us to turn in boarding passes, so I have to print all of mine. Major pain.

I don't use the app that often except to check in, but I haven't had any problem. Then again, I have to admit that I used my iPad Mini once when the printers were down, and it worked like a charm. Awkward, but it worked.
Um...you know you can get printouts of boarding passes and still use the mobile boarding pass, right?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:44 am

Well, I am aware that the OP isn't using a Windows Phone as AA removed their app several months ago. Based on the comments, there's isn't much being missed until the newer iOS releases.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by reeg2
Let's be honest, all of AA's IT infrastructure is due an upgrade.
I'll take Sabre over SHARES any day of the week.

That said, AA's app is lacking compared to UA's, but it is improving. I'm sure some of this has to do with the fact that this probably wasn't a high priority while the major IT systems were being merged. US's app improved a good bit and I'd hope that they'd take the best of both of those apps to improve AA's.

Also keep in mind that UA's systems have been merged for 4 years now, so they've had more time to focus on the mobile app. UA's website is also more usable than it was back in the day too (though many still refer to it as .bomb).

I get annoyed as well that I get booted out to the web version to do things like book tickets and stuff. However, the app's also come a long way since then, and app updates (at least on Android) have been happening about once a month.

To the OP's other comments:

Of the many inferior things about AA compared to UA (like the lack of Main Extra seats on all the old US Scare Airbuses), the absolute worst is the atrocious moble app. The United app is so good, I can almost instantly tell seat loading, status of incoming flights, you name it. The AA app is so bad, the formatting doesn't even work, the info is almost always wrong, it is slow to load, you cannot tell anything about upgrade situation, etc. How can two competing companies have such a gap? The AA website is also pretty bad too, but not as horrible as the mobile app.
The US A319s are being refitted. That takes time. Also remember that it was quite awhile before E+ showed up on the PMCO planes.

I can't say I've ever had formatting problems. This may the platform you're using, and can be affected by how the phone scales the resolution. Some phones are better than others.

However, the worst is the problem I have seen twice in the last week. Get all the way up to the TSA Precheck desk, and the TSA scanner wont read the bar code. I get the three beeps, so it recognizes me as eligible for Precheck, but won't recognize the bar code. I have to then go back and get a paper ticket. (for grins, I boarded that flight with the mobile app, so the problem seems to be between AA and the TSA, not the barcode itself)
As others have mentioned, this can be affected by the screen's brightness, and isn't necessarily a fault of the app itself. I haven't had any problems with AA BPs on my phone. However, I often have problems with scanning a local convenience store chain's coupon barcodes on my phone at least 50% of the time at normal brightness. Cranking up the brightness temporarily has always resolved the issue for me.

So today I call the AA help desk, the nice lady says this is a widespread problem and they are working on it. She advise me to NOT use the mobile app for now, to print all tickets for now. She also said they have a huge number of complaints with the sorry state of both the mobile app and the website, and are trying their hardest to catch up to United.
While I don't doubt she said that, AA agents aren't always the most knowledgeable, with varying degrees of knowledge and truth depending on who you get (this is true at UA as well). Unless that actually came from someone at the web department, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

The good news on Android anyway, most of the time I can accomplish what I need thru the widget so I don't have to go all the way in to the app a lot of times.

Last edited by Superguy; Apr 13, 2016 at 11:18 am
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Superguy
UA's website is also more usable than it was back in the day too (though many still refer to it as .bomb).
I don't know about that. Perhaps 4 months ago I would have agreed but they had a major outage last week and even today errors are occurring such as

"We are unable to process your request. Please see the message below for details.

We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request. Please try later or contact united.com Support in the U.S. and Canada at 1-888-491-6573; the U.K., phone 0800 028 5003; elsewhere use the local phone number."

I'll take AA.com over United.com any day and don't really have issues with either mobile app though I generally agree the United one is better.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airb330
I don't know about that. Perhaps 4 months ago I would have agreed but they had a major outage last week and even today errors are occurring such as

"We are unable to process your request. Please see the message below for details.

We’re sorry, but united.com was unable to complete your request. Please try later or contact united.com Support in the U.S. and Canada at 1-888-491-6573; the U.K., phone 0800 028 5003; elsewhere use the local phone number."

I'll take AA.com over United.com any day and don't really have issues with either mobile app though I generally agree the United one is better.
AA's site has its issues - they're just different issues.

The biggest issue I have is selecting a refundable business/first fare only to have the website reprice it as a non-refundable fare without actually telling you that's what it did (had to look in the fare rules to confirm that). They make it look like "hey look! we saved you a few hundred bucks! aren't we nice?"

And calling into AA and actually getting them to understand and ticket it is another story all together. Usually, AA can't find the price and buckets the website originally offered (even if I have all the fare bases ). It's taken a good travel agent to get those fares to ticket.

With that all said, I still think AA has the better underlying infrastructure. UA's site and apps look prettier, but it's largely lipstick on a pig as the underlying tech (SHARES) is complete crap.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
slow app

I agree with the original post. I have been using app (android) for years and have always found it slow to load, especially when pulling up the seat map.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you guys using Sprint by any chance?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
AA's site has its issues - they're just different issues.

The biggest issue I have is selecting a refundable business/first fare only to have the website reprice it as a non-refundable fare without actually telling you that's what it did (had to look in the fare rules to confirm that). They make it look like "hey look! we saved you a few hundred bucks! aren't we nice?"

And calling into AA and actually getting them to understand and ticket it is another story all together. Usually, AA can't find the price and buckets the website originally offered (even if I have all the fare bases ). It's taken a good travel agent to get those fares to ticket.

With that all said, I still think AA has the better underlying infrastructure. UA's site and apps look prettier, but it's largely lipstick on a pig as the underlying tech (SHARES) is complete crap.
All very true, and if there is a web issue sometimes getting AA to waive that phone booking fee is like pulling teeth too. But for now, at least I can book tickets on AA where United still keeps giving me random errors.

Are you guys using Sprint by any chance?
Lol touche. They're all slow in Philadelphia as I switch between the big two when one slows down too much. Sprint shockingly does have good coverage even in rural areas around here though compared to T-Mobile!
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's hard to beat a good, unlocked GSM phone for international travel. That and pretty good coverage all around keep me on AT&T.

Of course, SoftBank's ownership of Sprint makes it a viable alternative for folks that go to Japan a lot.

But back on topic, I can't say I've experienced much slow down either over WiFi or over cell networks with the AA app. Even recently in Korea, I found AA's app to be responsive. I hope we continue to see improvements added over time. It at least makes it easier to put up with the shortcomings if some are addressed each update.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 12:09 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Of the 3 major US legacy carriers, AA's is by far the worst. It's my preferred airline, but the app is inferior. The main thing (for me) is you can't book award tickets on the app. You can on UA and you can on DL. Beyond that, many functions in the app actually open the mobile site rather than working natively.

It has a ways to go to catch up. I keep assuming it's "in progress" ... hope so!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.5mm, *gold, AA - P, Marriot Titanium
Saw it today

Just went thru security, saw this problem happen to a guy right in front of me. Yes, it was a AA BP.

It's not a brightness issue to those that asked. And this is on a Samsung G6 on Verizon, fairly new and powerful on the best network.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.