Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Flight Attendant charged with starting a fire in lav on DFW-DTW flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Flight Attendant charged with starting a fire in lav on DFW-DTW flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Didn't have time to do a PDB service. But did have time to start a fire.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Fanjet
"The new American Airlines."
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Actually. That was also the old American Airlines.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Just bizarre and scary. Moreover, just plain sad that this 23 year old man has ruined his life.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Since everyone is safe, it's nice to be able to make jokes about this. However, if this fire had gotten out of control, he could have killed everyone on board, as well as countless other people on the ground for his actions. As far as I'm concerned this should be treated no differently then if someone brought a failed bomb onto the plane and he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Since everyone is safe, it's nice to be able to make jokes about this. However, if this fire had gotten out of control, he could have killed everyone on board, as well as countless other people on the ground for his actions. As far as I'm concerned this should be treated no differently then if someone brought a failed bomb onto the plane and he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
I don't think anyone here is suggesting he not be charged with a federal crime. Even a person who lights up a cigarette in the lavatory is warned of the federal offense-- by this FA during the pre-flight announcements, no less.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Like a phoenix risen from the... ah, forget it.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA, HA
I don't think anyone here is suggesting he not be charged with a federal crime. Even a person who lights up a cigarette in the lavatory is warned of the federal offense-- by this FA during the pre-flight announcements, no less.
Yes to the seriousness, and yes to the prosecution. But no, not the same as an hypothetical bomber. Bomb = intention to destroy. This idiot more likely intended to save the day. Careless/foolish/idiocy does not equal viciousness. To me at least.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Reports on the FT home page are now stating this was a DL incident. So, was this AA, DL, or did both have the same situation on the same route?

FWIW, ABC World News Tonight just stated a fire took place, but didn't state a carrier, but showed AA planes.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:55 pm

Happened a few years back on a Compass / NW ERJ-175 flight, YQR-MSP. The young flight attendant, Eder Rojas, was arrested, bailed out, and skipped back to Mexico.

Guy was pretty young too. Early 20s. It was his 2nd incident of the same before he got caught.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
YThis idiot more likely intended to save the day. Careless/foolish/idiocy does not equal viciousness. To me at least.
Nor to the law. Intent matters a great deal.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Just hope he lands in a non-aviation/public trust position.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Perhaps to serve warm nuts with the PDB.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by joepercussion1
Reports on the FT home page are now stating this was a DL incident. So, was this AA, DL, or did both have the same situation on the same route?

FWIW, ABC World News Tonight just stated a fire took place, but didn't state a carrier, but showed AA planes.
NBC News said it was AA
Old Mar 3, 2016, 6:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This issue is known as "Hero Syndrome" and arson is one of the most common ways used to gain recognition.

In the end, he has been charged with "destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities" and making false statements to authorities.

No heroic acclaim and ward for detecting and successfully extinguishing a fire, no career with AA; certainly likely his next deployment will be "three hots and a cot" and prison job - maybe the laundry or mess hall. Sad.

18 U.S. Code § 32 - Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities... "shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years or both."
He was arrested, charged Federally. As you can see, he might get as much as twenty - likely less, but the charge is very serious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.