Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW-LGA Schedule Oddity - 2 am flights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

DFW-LGA Schedule Oddity - 2 am flights?

AA2224 appears on the schedule for just March 14 and March 21, departing DFW 2:00am, arriving LGA 6:10am.
AA490 to BOS, AA2377 to DCA, and AA2587 to PHL, all departing DFW just before midnight March 13 and 20, arriving at their destinations ~4am.

Any idea why the unusual times (at least by U.S. standards, since this is pretty usual down in South America)? I thought maybe some one-off positioning flight but it's showing up two weeks in a row to multiple destinations.

Last edited by pfieldston; Feb 23, 2016 at 9:16 pm
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pfieldston
AA2224 appears on the schedule for just March 14 and March 21, departing DFW 2:00am, arriving LGA 6:10am.
AA490 to BOS, AA2377 to DCA, and AA2587 to PHL, all departing DFW just before midnight March 13 and 20, arriving at their destinations ~4am.

Any idea why the unusual times (at least by U.S. standards, since this is pretty usual down in South America)? I thought maybe some one-off positioning flight but it's showing up two weeks in a row to multiple destinations.

Probably equipment positioning after MX work on the birds. I guess HQ decided to run them at revenue flights instead of non-published AA 9xxx flight numbers. Might pick up a few misconnects and other pax willing to fly at that hour. At minimum, they could sell seats for rock-bottom fares to recoup some of the expenses of moving the aircraft.

Looks like AA 2224 is currently a MSP-ORD mid-morning flight.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty likely just extra sections for all the spring-breakers returning from southern climes. I noticed that UA had a few odd-ball red-eye's back around the holidays on IAH-DTW that departed around 2:00AM.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by pfieldston

It's Easter week. We saw extra sections like this around Thanksgiving and Christmas as well. The pmUS management was known for doing things like this.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:44 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet
It's Easter week. We saw extra sections like this around Thanksgiving and Christmas as well. The pmUS management was known for doing things like this.
Easter is Sunday is March 27. BUT these are all about spring break and the peak travel demand that brings to the network, which is what you were alluding to.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:25 am

For us LAA folks, they're odd flights, but PMUS used to run these weird flights more often on peak days. Sure enough, New AA does it as well.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: Free Agent
AS mentioned, pmUS traditionally runs some late banks around Thanksgiving and spring break. PHX-FLL usually picks up a redeye, and this year there's an awful-on-both-ends DWF-FLL redeye that departs 11:59 PM and arrives 3:37 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Probably equipment positioning after MX work on the birds. I guess HQ decided to run them at revenue flights instead of non-published AA 9xxx flight numbers. Might pick up a few misconnects and other pax willing to fly at that hour. At minimum, they could sell seats for rock-bottom fares to recoup some of the expenses of moving the aircraft.

Looks like AA 2224 is currently a MSP-ORD mid-morning flight.
I'm going to disagree with you and agree with those who gave the more likely correct answer of "spring break."

How do I know? Because old AA performed "MX work" on its birds yet never (not in the Carty/Arpey/Horton era) scheduled 2 am redeye DFW departures to LGA.

These are spring break flights, just like the odd-timed late evening/overnight Thanksgiving eve and Christmas season flights we saw late last year. IIRC, there were also similar odd flights around the Memorial Day and Labor Day holidays.

Of the Parker/Kirby changes, I agree completely with these. With hub airports open 24/7, there's no need for AA to operate its domestic schedule solely between 0600 and 2200 when there are passengers willing to fly overnight.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Of the Parker/Kirby changes, I agree completely with these. With hub airports open 24/7, there's no need for AA to operate its domestic schedule solely between 0600 and 2200 when there are passengers willing to fly overnight.
Makes perfect sense too...gives AA a full day to gather all the stragglers coming in from the beaches in Mexico, etc., sort them out, and then ship them off to The City. Who knows, this whole plane could be loaded with just people who missed their earlier flights due to hangovers.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: AA PLAT; SPG PLAT100; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Avis Pres. Circle
Long time lurker and decided I need to start contributing.

These are likely additional flights due to the time of the year but also LGA has a curfew from midnight-6am. That is most likely why the flights don't leave DFW with the others before midnight.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Its a good way to avoid massive oversells. However, what a horrible red eye to take. IIRC the DFW ACs close around 10PM.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Its a good way to avoid massive oversells. However, what a horrible red eye to take. IIRC the DFW ACs close around 10PM.
Doubt the spring break crowd includes many AC members.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by SJC AA
I'm not sure where they come from and how but the MIA ACs in March and early April are only missing the keg of beer, the bong, and the girls running around in string bikinis. I'm really looking forward to seeing people stretch out passed out on the couches.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by FWAAA
And more importantly, when they are also willing to pay more for their tickets.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I'm not sure where they come from and how but the MIA ACs in March and early April are only missing the keg of beer, the bong, and the girls running around in string bikinis. I'm really looking forward to seeing people stretch out passed out on the couches.
Now college kids don't even need to buy the $50 day pass... just need Mommy or Daddy to add them as an authorized user on the Citi AA World Elite MC!

As of 12/2015:
Admirals Club Membership and authorized user access:

Only Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite™ MasterCard primary cardmembers who are eighteen (18) years of age or older will receive full membership access privileges to Admirals Club lounges. An Authorized User of the Citi / AAdvantage Executive World Elite™ MasterCard who is eighteen (18) years of age or older will receive access privileges to American Airlines Admirals Club lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.