FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Winter Storm Jonas 22-24 Jan: Cancellations at CLT, DCA, BWI, IAD, PHL, JFK, LGA, EWR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1740810-winter-storm-jonas-22-24-jan-cancellations-clt-dca-bwi-iad-phl-jfk-lga-ewr.html)

SJC AA Jan 25, 2016 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by ysolde (Post 26079566)
T8 at JFK at 1:30 today was eerily empty. Lots of gates with no flights scheduled at them, as if it were 1:30 in the morning, not 1:30 in the afternoon. It did not feel like a terminal running anywhere near 100%.

That's true every day at 1:30pm. JFK is absolutely dead from about 10am to 3pm.

northernlights1 Jan 25, 2016 9:02 pm

Ultimately this topic would make a GREAT news story for an ambitious reporter. It would be great to trend how each airline is doing over periods of disruption. How they each uniquely handle the challenges and which does the best of moving passengers. Now THAT would be very valuable info. An airline that has data to show they are ready to move heaven and earth to get you from A to B would be a BIG up sell to a lot of people...

nrr Jan 25, 2016 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by SJC AA (Post 26080978)
That's true every day at 1:30pm. JFK is absolutely dead from about 10am to 3pm.

Sometimes (in that time period) tsa shuts pre-check, priority access and lots of other lanes, so the few lanes which ARE open have moderately long lines.:td:

nrr Jan 25, 2016 11:01 pm

FLT CANCELLED, would AA pay for alternate means of transport?

Two hypotheticals:p:
booked XXX-PHL-EWR or XXX-DCA-LGA; if PHL-EWR or DCA-LGA were cancelled and I opted to use GREYHOUND BUS, would AA reimburse me?
Getting from PHL to GREYHOUND (approx. 30 min) + 2 hour to PATH NYC BUS TERMINAL; DCA to UNION STA. (30 min.) + 4 hours to PATH. Might be better than staying overnight for flts. the next day.

annamom Jan 26, 2016 12:01 am

Will AA likely cancelling flight out of LGA?

Hi
I have read about United cancelling flight in EWR and am thinking to book a flight out of LGA on Wednesday. Has AA been cancelling flights from LGA on Monday or Tuesday?
I am closer to EWR, but AA does not have direct flight out of EWR to RIC...

thanks

tom911 Jan 26, 2016 3:54 am

I suspect they'd just refund the cost of the individual segment that is cancelled and might give you some miles at best. They don't have any obligation to cover the costs of alternate transportation in the conditions of carriage - just next available AA flight with seats.

When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats. If the delay or cancellation was caused by events within our control and we do not get you to your final destination on the expected arrival day, we will provide reasonable overnight accommodations, subject to availability.
Of course that accommodation clause doesn't apply when weather is in play.

tom911 Jan 26, 2016 3:57 am

Finally home from NYC with JFK-MIA-SFO that started at 5:15pm Monday. Arrived at SFO at 12:30 Tuesday morning. Upgrades cleared on both segments (with MIA-SFO I was pulled out of coach 7 mins before departure).

arollins Jan 26, 2016 4:59 am

There are tools available for you to do your research and make your decision. AA.com has a flight status part where you can search up to 2 days ahead the flight status. You can also use another site called flightaware and search past flight schedule based on routing. As for what AA will do tomorrow, no one knows. Do keep in mind though that you can not compare UA operation in EWR (UA HUB) vs AA operations at LGA (AA hub????)
For what is worth, they only canceled one flight on Monday AA4501, and no cancellations for today. Me, I will book it, most likely try to book the first flight out AA4501 (10AM), in case it cancels, you can always be accommodated on a latter one AA3749 (12:30pm).

phlwookie Jan 26, 2016 5:44 am

So far today EWR has 234 cancellations versus 27 at LGA as per https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/today

UA appears to be both having operational trouble there still, though other airlines are doing better, and only one runway is open.I don't think AA at LGA will have any undue trouble in the next few days at LGA, though some rain expected later may slow things as it often does.

From NYC, Amtrak can be a viable option to Richmond in the face of mass flight cancellations. Not nearly as many trains go to Richmond as to DC, but enough do to make it a backup option.

ty97 Jan 26, 2016 6:26 am

Following up on my doomed Saturday 1/23 mileage run ex-LGA. I've never, in many years of AA flying, actually needed to requested a refund before, but have seen the "two billing cycles" issue mentioned repeatedly here. Much to my surprise, after submitting my refund request Friday 1/22, the refund posted to my credit card on 1/24.

RogerD408 Jan 26, 2016 6:59 am

Originally Posted by ty97 (Post 26082774)
Following up on my doomed Saturday 1/23 mileage run ex-LGA. I've never, in many years of AA flying, actually needed to requested a refund before, but have seen the "two billing cycles" issue mentioned repeatedly here. Much to my surprise, after submitting my refund request Friday 1/22, the refund posted to my credit card on 1/24.

The "two billing cycles" is a cushion from years past where people did not have online access to their accounts. Also, each bank gets to decide how/when they process refunds. Some will be very quick while others put refunds at the end of their processing cycle (guess what, they get to keep the money longer that way!).

I've done some followup for some of our customers and all I have been able to find out is the refund is in the mix and, as a merchant, have no means to find out how far along it is (and btw, they do reduce our deposit by the refund right away).

Expresswayvisual Jan 26, 2016 8:47 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 26082904)
The "two billing cycles" is a cushion from years past where people did not have online access to their accounts. Also, each bank gets to decide how/when they process refunds. Some will be very quick while others put refunds at the end of their processing cycle (guess what, they get to keep the money longer that way!).

I've done some followup for some of our customers and all I have been able to find out is the refund is in the mix and, as a merchant, have no means to find out how far along it is (and btw, they do reduce our deposit by the refund right away).

I too got my refund two days after I requested it.

Superguy Jan 26, 2016 11:52 am

This was an ugly, ugly, weekend.

My rebooked trip out for Sunday evening cancelled.

BWI appears to be open again as I'm seeing planes flying around.

We ended up rescheduling for two weeks out. Customer wanted me to come this week still, but there was no getting out. Looking online, seats kept disappearing, and there was no book and hold.

Instead of trying to work a screwed up schedule, it made more sense to push it back. Things should be back to normal by then.

RogerD408 Jan 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 26084479)
This was an ugly, ugly, weekend.
Looking online, seats kept disappearing, and there was no book and hold.

Yes, no holds within 7 days of travel any more. :(

Superguy Jan 26, 2016 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 26085518)
Yes, no holds within 7 days of travel any more. :(

That sucks.

Had I been able to hold a seat, the trip might have been saved. Oh well.

On another note, does that mean if I have to book quickly ( < 7 days) and I'm using a voucher, I can't hold it and go to the airport to ticket it? I just have to do it all there?

The TAs were very grateful last time that I had itineraries on hold as it was much easier for them to process then having to do that AND book everything.