FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Winter Storm Jonas 22-24 Jan: Cancellations at CLT, DCA, BWI, IAD, PHL, JFK, LGA, EWR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1740810-winter-storm-jonas-22-24-jan-cancellations-clt-dca-bwi-iad-phl-jfk-lga-ewr.html)

Oxymore Jan 24, 2016 9:53 am

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL (Post 26072026)
Not surprising, but incredibly short sighted. If I know now that it's unlikely I'll make it, that's a seat that can be used to reaccomodate someone in advance.

Agreed that it would be much better for everyone to show a little flexibility, as AA will clearly need these seats to accommodate other flyers who may have urgent needs to get to DC or NYC.
But at last the travel policy has been updated to include Monday (hours after UA and DL updated theirs).

george 3 Jan 24, 2016 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Boondr (Post 26072067)
Most likely due to how much of AA's east coast were affected by this storm, CLT, DCA, PHL, LGA, JFK all big AA ops affected.

Beautiful sunny day in NYC but tons of snow to be moved. Just finished clearing my own snow and of note the wind is not bad. Lots of cancellations to be expected today at JFK and LGA though.

Quick check - all JFK flights to and from LAX and LHR are cancelled today except the red eye coming to JFK landing tomorrow morning.

boss315 Jan 24, 2016 10:38 am

Originally Posted by absoluy (Post 26071544)
40 mins on hold this morning on EXP line.

same here...wait on EXP wasn't bad considering the horrible logistics of this! Had a complicated EU itin. (BNA-JFK-LHR-CDG-FCO-AOI-FCO-LHR-LAX-YVR-BNA)and the agent was wonderful. I asked how she was holding up, and she just sighed and said that staying cheerful was what got her through her 12+ hour shift. She got everything moved around (upgrades, too!) and confirmed for next weekend, which was the best for me. I tried to be supportive, got her name and will send AA a compliment for the hour it took to get things moved around and her chipper attitude. When I was at UA, the prevailing mood was surly.....all the time!

McFlyPHL Jan 24, 2016 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Oxymore (Post 26072091)
Agreed that it would be much better for everyone to show a little flexibility, as AA will clearly need these seats to accommodate other flyers who may have urgent needs to get to DC or NYC.
But at last the travel policy has been updated to include Monday (hours after UA and DL updated theirs).

Looks like I'll just have to wait to cancel since rebooking for next week with the same destination doesn't work (have to fly to a different city next Monday and that's already booked). UGH. Oh, well... can't complain about a week at home I guess.

ATWBY2020 Jan 24, 2016 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Boondr (Post 26072067)
Most likely due to how much of AA's east coast were affected by this storm, CLT, DCA, PHL, LGA, JFK all big AA ops affected.

PHL airport website shows , most of the AA flights are cancelled , very few shows as on time , DCA website clearly says all the flights are canceled for today .
I am scheduled for PHL-DCA tomorrow morning , going to call AA and check.

zabes64 Jan 24, 2016 11:24 am

So my wait time was 4h35m last night. 4h10m for a call back and 25m once they picked up.

Asked about flying next week or next month and was told, "No", fly by Wednesday or we will charge a change fee; even though they canceled the flight.

Had no choice but to refund, filed a DOT complaint as well since I should have at least been allowed to make a change and pay the difference.

Of course my systemwides were not put back in my account, I really hate AA.

ysolde Jan 24, 2016 12:10 pm

I don't know whether to hope I can fly home to NYC tomorrow, or whether to hope the flight gets cancelled and I end up flying out Wednesday. What a mess!

AATrout Jan 24, 2016 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 26071300)
Tuesday PM flight into DCA...AA status site shows scheduled, EF shows scheduled, seat map shows plenty of open seats, but AA flight search (for purchase) shows no result - not even "not available", just no listing. Think they are simply holding back the whole flight to accommodate overflow from folks displaced through Monday, or is something weirder going on?

The weird thing is the terrible booking system available to you and me and the terrible EXP desk. I grabbed one of those seats an hour ago on AA154 but it was painful until I had an agent face to face. She was great. I was supposed to get back from DEN via ORD starting this AM at 0700. After 3 robo rebookings, the last thru CLT on Wednesday, and zero from the EXP desk last night I had had enough.

Left the Broomfield REN early today, booked a room at the DEN Gateway Marriott for a night to be on the safe side and just showed up at the AA counter after I dropped the car. A combined cadre of AA and former US agents were on the job. In under 8 minutes, which included a locked terminal for my former US Angel, she booked me,set the upgrades and I am set for Tuesday and - she indicated I would probably be successful if I wanted to try tomorrow, maybe not in F. Wow. At least I have options!

What is extremely hard to digest is starting yesterday for me - the complete inability to do this via (1) the EXP line - never got thru after hours on hold, (2) EXP call-backs [disconnected], and (3) my DM Twitter requests with specific flight legs. Their DM reply this AM said 'sorry' try the EXP desk- they had nothing.

EF isn't always accurate but it showed availability on both Tuesday and to a lesser extent, Monday - for every leg I proposed via DM whether via ORD or CLT to @AmericanAir. An hour after the last 'sorry' DM reply, I had multiple options with a fantastic agent at the DEN counter - one that was rather new to the AA systems. And she did this in 8 minutes.

So yes, AA is totally hosed up with their byzantine and useless EXP line and @AmericanAir is equally worthless in a situation like this.

arlflyer Jan 24, 2016 12:41 pm

Sounds like fun! In my case, this is actually my original routing - just a little weirded out by the fact that the flight isn't showing anywhere on AA.com flight searches. All other signs point that it's going out, so I'm hopeful that they're flying it but just not selling seats.

Generally speaking, I'm somewhat willing to cut AA some slack here. I know that I'll probably be in the minority, but this storm is a 10/50/100-year event depending on who you ask (could be all-time record for DC but they're arguing about yardsticks :D), and building/staffing systems to accommodate that kind of need is untenable for the 99.99% of time when that level isn't needed.

newbiztraveler Jan 24, 2016 12:49 pm

Had my JFK-PHX-BUR flight cancelled on Saturday, so I called in, waited 2 hours for a callback, and finally got an agent on the phone. They told me they would put me on a JFK-LAX non-stop flight for Monday night.

I just looked at my reservation and saw that they booked a flight for Tuesday night, instead of Monday. I'm flying home Wednesday morning, so it makes zero sense that I would fly to LA, sleep for 8 hours, and then fly back to NYC. Currently waiting 2hrs for another callback. Tried Twitter and they just told me to call reservations... ugh.

ThreeJulietTango Jan 24, 2016 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by zabes64 (Post 26072460)
So my wait time was 4h35m last night. 4h10m for a call back and 25m once they picked up.

Asked about flying next week or next month and was told, "No", fly by Wednesday or we will charge a change fee; even though they canceled the flight.

Had no choice but to refund, filed a DOT complaint as well since I should have at least been allowed to make a change and pay the difference.

I made a similar request to change the flights to a later date and pay the fare difference but was also denied. I don't know why AA prefers to have me request a refund (1 to 2 billing cycles to post!) and buy another ticket when I could've had the other one reissued in minutes and not had the value of two tickets tied up.

AATrout Jan 24, 2016 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 26072888)
Sounds like fun! In my case, this is actually my original routing - just a little weirded out by the fact that the flight isn't showing anywhere on AA.com flight searches. All other signs point that it's going out, so I'm hopeful that they're flying it but just not selling seats.

Generally speaking, I'm somewhat willing to cut AA some slack here. I know that I'll probably be in the minority, but this storm is a 10/50/100-year event depending on who you ask (could be all-time record for DC but they're arguing about yardsticks :D), and building/staffing systems to accommodate that kind of need is untenable for the 99.99% of time when that level isn't needed.

Well AA at DCA gets some slack because WMATA is dysfunctional w/metro, and it has an uneven record at DCA with any WX challenges, even if they are not local. The footprint is small, piers are crowded, and there's no way to disperse many aircraft. Yet on those rough days where it's just a delay not a closure, I've seen B6 and DL happliy and efficiently keep things moving while we are parked.

DEN->ORD->DCA was my original routing too so I was pissed when the robo rebook had me going thru CLT a day later than what was available on my original route.

It's a great facility and a perfect size to get in and out of, bad when WX gets ugly for everyone but AA always seems to flail around longer than the other carriers. I guess I would be interested in how UA and B6 do in and out of DCA starting tomorrow.

jfinsocal Jan 24, 2016 1:09 pm

I am flying PHX-CLT-MCO on AA 1976/747 Tuesday 26 Jan. PHX-CLT was F7 A7 last night; checked this morning and it was F1 A1. Used EXP callback feature and was called back in 50 minutes exactly as quoted. Got the last F seat using expiring SWU.

AA 747 CLT-MCO on a 332 - I was the only person in F when I was upgraded at 4 days - now there are 19 out of 20 seats occupied.

Flights are jam packed the next couple of days but inventory will be very fluid. Expert Flyer sub is highly valuable in these cases.

the phoenix Jan 24, 2016 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by jfinsocal (Post 26073026)
Expert Flyer sub is highly valuable in these cases.

Is it though? I'd asked a long back in this thread, when I called aa (no status) on Friday night at 1825, seconds after cancelling my JFK bound flight, I had my EF flight info handy... I asked about flight on Sunday and Monday and EF showed seats but the AAgent said it was all booked and the first flight out was Tuesday. So does EF give all time info? It's truly my first time using it during a time. Of systemwide disruption and. Not sure what I should expect of it.

aztimm Jan 24, 2016 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 26071892)
According to aa.com, AA5056 will leave DAY at 3:54pm.
Nearly every other flight has been cxl.

Anyone want to guess if that flight will actually go?

His flight left at that revised time and is in the final descent to PHL ^

(making it from PHL to his house is another story)