FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Winter Storm Jonas 22-24 Jan: Cancellations at CLT, DCA, BWI, IAD, PHL, JFK, LGA, EWR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1740810-winter-storm-jonas-22-24-jan-cancellations-clt-dca-bwi-iad-phl-jfk-lga-ewr.html)

JDiver Jan 24, 2016 7:20 am

Originally Posted by thegrailer (Post 26070280)
I jumped from UA because of the dead grass but was hoping for something better with AA. AA twitter stepped up but it was still a 5 hr adventure. Add that to the 29 hours in FL to beat the storm and AA owes me close to a day and a half of my life back (yea I know so no need to reply to the previous comment :))

You're kidding, right? UA is impervious to OSO / disruptions from massive storm disruptions when three hubs and several focus airports are shut down? :rolleyes:

ysolde Jan 24, 2016 7:28 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 26071473)
There will undoubtedly be some knock on effects, but you will likely be ok. See the wikipost and see what the weather reports are predicting.

One of our members, Tom911, is in NYC right now. He reported high winds and lots of snow yesterday, but last night he had great views of the lit up New Jersey shore from his upper floor hotel room.,

Thanks. I called AA to let them know about the wheelchair (the info was not transferred from one reservation to the other). I asked whether tomorrow's flight was likely to take off. She said it's not clear, as crews are not positioned and they don't know whether the crews will be positioned in places like SJU by tomorrow. If I don't make it out by tomorrow, I have to leave Wednesday, as Tuesday's flights are Fully booked in J.

I waited less than ten minutes for a callback this morning. And I am not ExPlat.

absoluy Jan 24, 2016 7:37 am

40 mins on hold this morning on EXP line.

RogerD408 Jan 24, 2016 7:49 am

If you are calling about imminent travel, why not call the OSO number instead of the EXP line? I would expect they have pulled in staff (probably from the EXP line) to assist with the calls and may get you where you need to be going much quicker.

Geauxtigers Jan 24, 2016 7:50 am

Mr. Vker Jan 24, 2016 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker (Post 26071360)
Well, our PHX-BWI for today was cancelled overnight. (We are in Cabo right now.) Looks like we will be stuck someplace until Wednesday. Holding for AA right now. The automated system got me to someone quickly-but they were not International :mad:

Total hold time about an hour. Very helpful agent. You could tell she was exhausted. We are flying to Phoenix as scheduled today. Back to BWI on Wednesday. All worked out fine. We will work remotely from the JW.

SJC AA Jan 24, 2016 8:28 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 26071473)
There will undoubtedly be some knock on effects, but you will likely be ok. See the wikipost and see what the weather reports are predicting.

One of our members, Tom911, is in NYC right now. He reported high winds and lots of snow yesterday, but last night he had great views of the lit up New Jersey shore from his upper floor hotel room.,

Beautiful clear blue skies in NYC this morning. Tons of snow on the ground tho :)

nyc6035 Jan 24, 2016 8:41 am

Did the call back option on the EXP Line last night at about 645pm est. I was told 2 hours. Call back came at 1140pm...nearly 4 hours later.

I don't for the life of me understand why status customers are not prioritized in weather conditions.

It's a bit confusing why AA cancelled all 3 JFK-LHR flights on the 24th. Equipment appears to be local (for AA100 at least) and crew should be domiciled locally. Comparatively BA appear to be operating a full outbound schedule today from JFK - with 2 cancels on the inbound due to (I believe) excess equipment sitting at JFK.

On the up side I finally get to try out the Concorde Room tonight.

aztimm Jan 24, 2016 9:04 am

My brother was on his way back yesterday, PVG-ORD-PHL and got caught up in this mess. He had an unexpected overnight at ORD.

AA put him on ORD-DAY-PHL for today, and he's currently in DAY.

According to aa.com, AA5056 will leave DAY at 3:54pm.
Nearly every other flight has been cxl.

Anyone want to guess if that flight will actually go?

McFlyPHL Jan 24, 2016 9:23 am

What's the policy for flights on the 25th if the flights go but one can't actually get to the airport?

Oxymore Jan 24, 2016 9:24 am

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL (Post 26071962)
What's the policy for flights on the 25th if the flights go but one can't actually get to the airport?

So far with me it's been: "too bad for you, but you may write to customer service" :td:

aztimm Jan 24, 2016 9:31 am

Originally Posted by aztimm (Post 26071892)
Anyone want to guess if that flight will actually go?

According to my brother, there's 5 AA-painted planes (probably RJ's) at DAY, and one of them is supposed to fly them to PHL.

I chatted with an FA friend who's heard (so reliability could be questionable) that PHL will open for AA flights at 3pm today.

McFlyPHL Jan 24, 2016 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Oxymore (Post 26071966)
So far with me it's been: "too bad for you, but you may write to customer service" :td:

Not surprising, but incredibly short sighted. If I know now that it's unlikely I'll make it, that's a seat that can be used to reaccomodate someone in advance.

Bigshaker Jan 24, 2016 9:38 am

Last nights callback time quoted was 2 hrs. Received callback in 2hr 1 min
However while waiting I called back to the gold line and stayed on hold too. Only took 34 min to get an agent that way. Doesn't sound like the "you won't lose your place in line" was accurate!

Also, for a rant, why is JFK up and running today (Sunday) with an extensive Jet Blue arrival and departure schedule and Delta with a decent arrival and departure schedule and yet AA still canceled everything for today??!!

Boondr Jan 24, 2016 9:48 am

Originally Posted by Bigshaker (Post 26072027)
Last nights callback time quoted was 2 hrs. Received callback in 2hr 1 min
However while waiting I called back to the gold line and stayed on hold too. Only took 34 min to get an agent that way. Doesn't sound like the "you won't lose your place in line" was accurate!

Also, for a rant, why is JFK up and running today (Sunday) with an extensive Jet Blue arrival and departure schedule and Delta with a decent arrival and departure schedule and yet AA still canceled everything for today??!!

Most likely due to how much of AA's east coast were affected by this storm, CLT, DCA, PHL, LGA, JFK all big AA ops affected.