Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY (master thread July 2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: medellinfein
Booking Award Seats on EY / Etihad Airways Using AA / AAdvantage Miles

Also see: Earning AA Miles EQM / EQD / EQS on EY / Etihad (master thread)

This thread is about how to book Etihad / EY award seats using AA AAdvantage miles, and sharing success stories. This wiki is new, so anyone with 90/90 who wishes to add helpful information is, of course, urged to do so.

NOTE:AA has removed most EY and QR award access from aa.com due to a glitch booking these:

From One Mile at a Time (link)

Bottom Line

For the time being you’ll have to call American if you want to ticket AAdvantage awards on Etihad & Qatar that aren’t for travel to & from the US or Canada. It makes sense that American took these awards “offline,” and now it also makes sense why so many passengers have been having issues with checked bags on awards.
  • You can now search or book awards for travel on EY (Etihad) on www.aa.com.
  • You can search award availability on EY's website. Look only for seats on flights operated by Etihad Airways that are labeled as "GuestSeats". You can also search on ExpertFlyer
    • Note: You may see more availability if you search on EY's website using itineraries that do not originate in the US. In other words, to potentially see more availability on a USA-XYZ segment, search for XYZ-USA-XYZ. Expertflyer does not report this additional availability (if any), and US-based agents probably will not be able to see or book it (but see further below for Fiji).
    • To expand on this point a bit, it seems that even if you only want to fly USA-AUH (or to other foreign destinations, since they route through AUH), due to an EY website quirk you need to search AUH-USA-AUH in order to find available USA-AUH routes.
  • You no longer have to call AA to book them. You may need to request the AA agent to look up the inventory one segment at a time in order to find the inventory in their system. OR:
  • It is often or even typically the case that for first and business class awards US agents cannot see the award space that you see on Etihad's site. Your best bet, then, is to call AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 3 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) (actually South African contractor Mindpearl in Fiji) or Singapore (+65 6349-8444) as an alternative - what you need is the specific call center which is actually in Suva, Fiji (I believe it's our old South African agency friend Mindpearl) or, according to recent reports, in Trinidad (since there have been some reports that the Fiji center has closed). You can put the EY segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward and/or pay the fees in USD through the US call center, or simply buy it through non-US call center if you think you won't be making subsequent routing changes (such as adding AA connecting flights within the USA) that would incur fees. (NOTE: calls may get picked up by the local Brisbane office, or rerouted to Trinidad or the USA. As noted, there are reports that the Fiji call center has closed, but people have still been able to book some of the time, particularly if they reach the Trinidad center since that seems to be the call center that yields the greatest success in late 2017 and 2018 - with the big caveat that there are at least as many failures as successes in calling there, including repeatedly. To increase the chances of success, you may have to call several times, since for some reason a given customer service representative at a given time won't see availability even if it shows at the EY site, but another CSR at the same center may be able to do so even a few minutes later. It's conceivable that this difference is due to some CSRs knowing how to search for award availability better than others do, but that's simply a matter of speculation at this point.)
    • Note: EY award holds only last 72 hours...irrespective of what AA reservation hold email states
  • Booking connections via AUH / Abu Dabhi using one award is now allowed.
  • Get both AA and EY reservation codes/numbers: Upon booking with AA, make sure to get the EY reservation number as well as that of AA from the AA CSR, as without the EY number it will be difficult or impossible to deal with EY, such as for checking or managing your reservation online. And of course, if there is another airline involved in the reservation as well (such as BA), get its reservation number.
  • A handy EY route map is here: http://flights.etihad.com/routemap.
  • The applicable AAdvantage miles award chart is the oneworld and partner airlines award chart.
  • Award routing rules are in the wikipost of this thread.
  • If you find EY inventory from your continent but not your city of choice, as usual you can include any other AAdvantage award airlines in order to complete the itinerary. E.g. LHR-xAUH-DEL-xAUH-CDG on EY connecting to CDG-LHR on BA.
  • WARNING: While this trick is great for new bookings (especially if you have patience to get lucky for call to be routed to Fiji office), modifying booking on partner airlines is always risky especially when an overseas center is involved, Your original seats are immediately released and while new reservation is supposedly confirmed, it may actually not the case until ticket desk actually issues ticket after approval of the partner liaison. Weekend/Holidays/Time-Difference can delay issuance of ticket and if something goes wrong, there is always risk of being SOL. (Mistakes by agents are rare but not unheard of).
  • SEAT ASSIGNMENTS: You cannot choose seats until after ticketing. Even then, the regular web site will not allow seat assignments to be made for AAdvantage award bookings. The mobile site (which can be reached with either a mobile or a desktop browser) may work in some cases. Calling EY to make seat assignments always works, as long as you can give them the EY record locator, and as long as AA has issued the ticket (which can take a few days, you will get e-mail). Call 1-877-690-0767, press 1 for English, then 2 for First/Business, then 2 for existing bookings, then they will tell you the call is ending - but it's not: they have added "press 1 to speak to an agent", so finally, press 1 to continue the call. After this, you should have someone on the line quickly to help you. They will ask you a series of questions such as "What class are you traveling in?" and "Where are you going?" Alternatively, you can choose your seats on the Etihad website and app by using the EY record locator to find your award itinerary.
  • Availability: EY award availability using AA miles can be fairly good, including in business and first class - IF you get past the big, aforementioned challenge of actually booking award seats that the EY site shows as available but that AA agents have trouble finding. But it ebbs and flows quite a bit in at least two respects (in addition to the general rule that the further in advance you seek availability, the better, as well as reports that availability is easier to find from one to three weeks before a flight): 1) availability showing at the EY site and 2) even if availability shows at the EY site, the ability of non-US call centers (especially the "least bad" ones for finding availability, which might have been Fiji and might now be Trinidad) to find that availability. So if the EY site is not showing availability for a given day or week, and if you have flexibility, check other dates. And if availability seems to be particularly constrained across many dates, particularly if you are searching many months in advance, check again periodically to see if this has changed (or arrange an alert via ExpertFlyer, if it provides such a service for EY flights).
  • "Baby-sit" your tickets: Though this advice could apply to many award bookings, EY's systems can be glitchy and the airline apparently is going through some financial challenges. So it makes sense to check online or via phone occasionally with EY to make sure everything remains in order, particularly if there have been even minor changes in things like your flight times. And if there seem to be problems, including with checking in online or other procedures, the EY forum here at FT can be a source of useful advice about whether or not those problems are worth worrying about.
  • Itinerary: You can use https://www.virtuallythere.com/new/login.html to enter your EY record locator and last name to 1)display your complete itinerary 2)save a pdf 3)add to outlook/ical 4)view ticket # and different times the ticket has been reissued
  • AA lounge access: If you book a premium cabin itinerary on EY with domestic connections on AA, you will not be able to access the Admiral's Club during your domestic layovers because EY is not a member of OW.

Please see the archived threads for previous experiences: NOTE: From AUH to the USA you will receive full USCBP Pre-Clearance in Abu Dhabi and will arrive in the USA as a domestic flight. However, AA and at least some other airlines (AS) will still demand International to Domestic MCT be met for ticketing purposes.
Print Wikipost

Booking AA Award travel on Etihad / EY (master thread July 2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2021, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Since the blogs are all saying the A380 is coming back, any conjecture as to when and where? Guess I'll have to keep checking online to see when they load inventory. Booked in to IAD in F but will change that in a heartbeat if the apartment is coming back. I don't even care if they run out of food!
I check JFK every couple of days because I have a J JFK-AUH booking that i'd loooooove to upgrade to F...
saaveraward likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 4:06 pm

Someone smarter than me can answer this. Did they need/use 2 frames to run A380 routes to the US?
Old Dec 30, 2021, 4:41 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I check JFK every couple of days because I have a J JFK-AUH booking that i'd loooooove to upgrade to F...
Why don't you just setup an EF aircraft change alert?
Smiley90 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 8:17 am

What’s the typical timeline for ticketing to go through? I put the award on hold and booked it last night. I haven’t yet received a confirmation email, the points haven’t been deducted and my card hasn’t been charged.

My Qatar reservation was nearly instant meanwhile.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by dwhelan5
What’s the typical timeline for ticketing to go through? I put the award on hold and booked it last night. I haven’t yet received a confirmation email, the points haven’t been deducted and my card hasn’t been charged.

My Qatar reservation was nearly instant meanwhile.
All AA awards with partner flights that are booked with an agent go through a review process. The review can be pretty quick to several days. With the holidays and all, I'd give it until Thursday. If it hasn't ticketed yet, call in and have an agent check it.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:52 pm

Hey all,

I'm looking for some guidance on flying flagship first on an award redemption. I'm looking at the award chart for etihad guest and i'm seeing 25k for Business/First Class and 32500 for premium.

Does FF count as Premium? I can't think of anything else that would, but all of the things I'm reading that talk about booking FF talks about it being 25k. So what would one book on EY that would qualify as 32.5k?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 4, 2022, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 6r1nch
Hey all,

I'm looking for some guidance on flying flagship first on an award redemption. I'm looking at the award chart for etihad guest and i'm seeing 25k for Business/First Class and 32500 for premium.

Does FF count as Premium? I can't think of anything else that would, but all of the things I'm reading that talk about booking FF talks about it being 25k. So what would one book on EY that would qualify as 32.5k?

Thanks in advance
Are you looking to use AA miles to book on Etihad or to use Etihad points to book on AA?

If using AA miles to book on Etihad, then Flagship First is a marketing term by AA for its product only. For 1st class on Etihad, it is the Premium rate that is applicable for 1st class on Etihad.

If using EY points to book on AA, then the EY forum would probably be best place to check, but 1st class on a flight where business class is also offered, then the higher rate would apply

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jan 4, 2022 at 3:57 pm
Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Are you looking to use AA miles to book on Etihad or to use Etihad points to book on AA?

If using AA miles to book on Etihad, then Flagship First is a marketing term by AA for its product only. For 1st class on Etihad, it is the Premium rate that is applicable for 1st class on Etihad.

If using EY points to book on AA, then the EY forum would probably be best place to check, but 1st class on a flight where business class is also offered, then the higher rate would apply

Ohhh ok. Yeah, it's EY Guest points redeeming for AA Metal. I rolled the dice and called them to book the flight and it ended up being 25k a seat for First. The weird thing was the rep booked the ticket and then deducts the points separately. Like, I had the confirmation in my email, he made sure I had the ticket, and then he submitted the deduction of points and I got a separate email about the points being redeemed. In comparison to paying for an item on amazon and immediately you have a notification that your credit card has been charged. I wonder if there's discretion on their end with regard for how many points to deduct.

I asked the rep about what "P" class was and he said he didn't know, he was confused as well. I'm happy either way.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by 6r1nch
Ohhh ok. Yeah, it's EY Guest points redeeming for AA Metal. I rolled the dice and called them to book the flight and it ended up being 25k a seat for First. The weird thing was the rep booked the ticket and then deducts the points separately. Like, I had the confirmation in my email, he made sure I had the ticket, and then he submitted the deduction of points and I got a separate email about the points being redeemed. In comparison to paying for an item on amazon and immediately you have a notification that your credit card has been charged. I wonder if there's discretion on their end with regard for how many points to deduct.

I asked the rep about what "P" class was and he said he didn't know, he was confused as well. I'm happy either way.
What is the route being booked? does it have a premium 1st class ? The booking class for 1st class on flights where there is no business class is 'U' and on those with a business class is 'Z" . The amount charged will be based on booking class
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat

Welcome back Dave, long time no see...

Regards
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA PPro
I just put a hold on an Etihad flight via the Singapore call center. For some reason even though Aeroplan showed first class availability (130 points F, 100 points J), Etihad's website didn't show "guest first" availability (but did have guest business availability), so all I could get the agent to find was J seats on EY after giving up on calling two other call centers and asking to find the F space.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by HiAperture
I just put a hold on an Etihad flight via the Singapore call center. For some reason even though Aeroplan showed first class availability (130 points F, 100 points J), Etihad's website didn't show "guest first" availability (but did have guest business availability), so all I could get the agent to find was J seats on EY after giving up on calling two other call centers and asking to find the F space.
Does the route you're interested in HAVE F? Because EY isn't operating that many F-flights, there might be some inventory issues (and I trust EY more than Aeroplan's IT...)
Old Jan 6, 2022, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Does the route you're interested in HAVE F? Because EY isn't operating that many F-flights, there might be some inventory issues (and I trust EY more than Aeroplan's IT...)
Yes, AUH-IAD. EY's website shows F availability for like 1.9 million miles, Aeroplan has it for 130k on the same dates (and the F availability stayed after I took the J seats out of play).
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by HiAperture
Yes, AUH-IAD. EY's website shows F availability for like 1.9 million miles, Aeroplan has it for 130k on the same dates (and the F availability stayed after I took the J seats out of play).
What is the route and the airline?
Old Jan 8, 2022, 5:38 am

What is the route and the airline?
MLE-AUH-IAD
EY 261 on 8/21
connecting to
EY 131 on 8/22

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.