Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

B fares being phased out in 2016 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I think one will find that AA no longer has B-fares on some/most markets going forward (if not already for many/most.)

One assumes that -B- will now be repurposed-- be it for Prem Economy and/or other.

As noted recently B was removed from business extra as eligible upgrade clases:
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....5/12/30/43253/

One segment domestic upgrade: added ‘B’ fares to the list of exclusions, so these certificates are now valid on all fares except for B, N, O, Q and S.

One-way international upgrade (full fares): removed B from the allowable fares, so the upgrades only now are valid for J and Y (true full fare) fares.

One-way international upgrade (discount fares): added B, N, and Q fares to the list of exclusions, so these certificates are not valid on all fares except for B, N, O, Q, and S. [I believe Q, W, and V fares were also already excluded.]
Could be considered somewhat good news for upgrades in the short term as Y/B go to top of list within elite tier and B was usually much more affordable than Y.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 3, 2016 at 11:32 am
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
It is interesting and I wonder if AA will reconfigure Y as a full fare Coach with multiple levels to better position their full fare coach pricing?

I suspect that AA will move B under the "W" umbrella of Premium Economy. My suspicion is that AA will have 2-3 Premium Economy fares.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 12:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
It's interesting that B fares now have apparently been excluded for upgrades using BXP- upgrade certificates, as well.

This would be interesting, if B is repurposed to PE+, as it would tend to indicate a discounted fare ineligible for Business Extra upgrades and perhaps some other restrictions as well.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

To be a bit clearer, while its very clear that B is going -somewhere-, personally speaking, I don't have the slightest idea what is its going to be in its next life-- the PE was just a speculation on my part.

Also I don't think this will be the last letter they discontinue from it's present use and repurpose, they need a few now.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: AA EP
Yes. AA is bath ally out of codes and Sabre is not able to prove to AA 2 letter codes. I understand that over the next few months we will see some jiggling of booking codes, including some upgrade codes.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Yes. AA is bath ally out of codes and Sabre is not able to prove to AA 2 letter codes. I understand that over the next few months we will see some jiggling of booking codes, including some upgrade codes.
Yup.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:59 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Looks like they're freeing up B class. Tho no idea how it will be used.

Via aasaleslink.com

Fare Class Removal – B Inventory
Updated: January 14, 2016

You are receiving this important notification to advise you we are removing B inventory from our fare class ladder. In the near future, we have plans to repurpose B inventory for the development of new sales products, which means any existing “B” fares will no longer be available for sale.

We have removed “B” class from our fare structure for all geographic regions. Bookings made up until January 14, 2016 will require ticketing in accordance with the fare rules or no later than March 31, 2016, whichever comes first.

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 18, 2016 at 2:17 pm Reason: Removed quote post move
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Let's just hope B doesn't turn into "B for basic economy", Delta-style.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: american advantage EXP
AA Eliminates B class fare across the pond

I have just called AA res to book my usual LHR SAN seat in B class.I was told that as of 14th Jan AA has dropped B class fares across the atlantic.. So now you have only low discounted fares and Y class..Rather disappointing as B class fare were quite reasonable compared to Y and you could upgrade for 15000 miles and no co payments..Anyone else come up against this
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I think that changing the word "Drops" to "Eliminates" in the thread title would prevent a lot of misunderstanding -- and disappointment.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 3:58 am

I think the rumor is that B will be used for the new PE fares.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 4:49 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
They could have just used W for PE as is used on AA codeshares... Would be simple but I guess that would be too easy
Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kauppias
Originally Posted by ShortDog
I think the rumor is that B will be used for the new PE fares.
They could have just used W for PE as is used on AA codeshares... Would be simple but I guess that would be too easy
W is only for full-fare PE (it's the same code BA uses).

But BA uses T for discount PE, and AA uses T as a coach award code. So AA needs another code for discount PE. @:-)

So try again please! They cannot use W for all buckets in PE, and they need at least two buckets, full-fare and discount, and they need a letter code for each bucket.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See the discussion here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...coming-30.html
Old Jan 17, 2016, 4:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by marshall cope
I have just called AA res to book my usual LHR SAN seat in B class.I was told that as of 14th Jan AA has dropped B class fares across the atlantic.. So now you have only low discounted fares and Y class..Rather disappointing as B class fare were quite reasonable compared to Y and you could upgrade for 15000 miles and no co payments..Anyone else come up against this
As there is an extant thread discussing the soon-to-be-extinct B fare, I'll merge this in.

~Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.