Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

B fares being phased out in 2016 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B fares being phased out in 2016 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Yes. AA is bath ally out of codes and Sabre is not able to prove to AA 2 letter codes. I understand that over the next few months we will see some jiggling of booking codes, including some upgrade codes.
Maybe business class upgrades will come from "I"?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Just as likely that -B- will be used for the new super-cheap no mileage fares
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I think "B" was removed now because how many people purchase a B-fare that far out in advance? And they can't really remove "Y" from the inventory (the other last-minute fare). I have a feeling it will be used for the new "BASIC" type of coach fare. And not for PE.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I think "B" was removed now because how many people purchase a B-fare that far out in advance? And they can't really remove "Y" from the inventory (the other last-minute fare). I have a feeling it will be used for the new "BASIC" type of coach fare. And not for PE.
If so, that implies they will need another code for PE discount.

But perhaps that other code will just be one of the zillions of discount Y codes, and will not be very much noticed. Does AA really need so many different discount Y codes, given that they can have variations on each with different rules and pricing anyhow?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
If so, that implies they will need another code for PE discount.

But perhaps that other code will just be one of the zillions of discount Y codes, and will not be very much noticed. Does AA really need so many different discount Y codes, given that they can have variations on each with different rules and pricing anyhow?
Well, generally speaking, I'd think it's much easier for the airline to control the inventory than to file/pull new fares.

It's interesting that in the not-too-distant past, there were maybe one or two booking codes for premium cabins. Now there can be as many as six (e.g., JCRDIU on BA, including awards), and there are four classes of service. Being stuck with only 26 letters definitely seems problematic to me!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Hell, JCRDIU are AA's six business class booking codes too!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
pmUS used to pretty much price out all refundable international tickets as B fares.

And yes, I bought them - in advance - as our travel is subject to change and cancellation.

Even in my time with AA, the B fares were often a good bit cheaper than the Y fares yet still considered full fare. I wonder if another bucket will take it's place, or will we be screwed into buying Y fares more now for that same flexibility?

2 letter fare codes would have solved their problems. UA has been doing that for years.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superguy
2 letter fare codes would have solved their problems. UA has been doing that for years.
But doesn't UA use a different reservation system? I thought the one-letter code limitation was in the reservation system that AA (along with many other oneworld carriers) uses.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Microwave
Hell, JCRDIU are AA's six business class booking codes too!
Ah, you're right! (I was initially just considering paid fares--where BA has more--but then figured award should probably be included as well)
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But doesn't UA use a different reservation system? I thought the one-letter code limitation was in the reservation system that AA (along with many other oneworld carriers) uses.
Yeah, it does.

I just wonder why UA was able to implement it on 2 different systems more than 10 years ago while Sabre, one of the most advanced platforms out there, hasn't.

I mean, come on ... if SHARES can do it ...
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Superguy
Even in my time with AA, the B fares were often a good bit cheaper than the Y fares yet still considered full fare. I wonder if another bucket will take it's place, or will we be screwed into buying Y fares more now for that same flexibility?
AA sometimes have H fares that are still fairly unrestricted.

BA's order is YBH, with H often having penalties and B being second level 'full fare'.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAXBA

AA sometimes have H fares that are still fairly unrestricted.

BA's order is YBH, with H often having penalties and B being second level 'full fare'.
Most of the refundables I buy seem to end up in L these days. Last B I saw was on ORD-LHR when looking for a refundable.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Ah, you're right! (I was initially just considering paid fares--where BA has more--but then figured award should probably be included as well)
DL also had to make changes when they rolled out the new award tiers because originally their systems could only handle one letter, now they have two, e.g. "O" and "OK".
Old Jan 20, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
DL also had to make changes when they rolled out the new award tiers because originally their systems could only handle one letter, now they have two, e.g. "O" and "OK".
Given the high prices for some of DL's awards, they should book into "FU"
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I think it's most likely that B will be repurposed as a discount premium economy fare, and that O would be the most likely candidate for a basic fare. It wasn't too long ago that some O fares didn't earn miles, for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.