Wiki Posts
Search

AA processed my upgrade incorrectly

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

I requested J to F mileage upgrades for both segments of my last trip. After the outbound flight, my status changed to executive platinum, so I called reservations to have my upgrade request changed to a SWU. It took three calls, but the request was changed, and showed on the AA app and aa.com as SWU, not mileage upgrade, requested. My upgrade was confirmed at the counter, and the agent asked me to confirm the method for the upgrade, and I again said it was a SWU. Today I got an email saying 25,000 miles had been deducted for that flight. I just called and AA told me there was no record that a SWU was ever requested, and AA would have to make the final decision on reinstating my miles. I don't understand how this is even a question of what decision to make, since I called three times, verified it on aa.com, and also verified it with the agent upon checkin. I feel like someone must be lying or not checking in the right spot, because two different agents read the note in my PNR about the method of upgrade changing. What should I have done differently here to make sure the upgrade was processed correctly, and any tips to get my miles back? Or is this a lost cause? I have zero use for SWUs next year but use for miles, so Im pretty angry about this. I did follow up with an email to customer service asking for the 25,000 miles back and a SWU to be taken instead.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
If after reasonable time you have a complain I would post it otherwise wait
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT

Prior to qualify for EXP, what was ur status? Per ur FT profile it says PLT, if so then maybe the status change was not properly reflected, also SWU do take time to show up in account after you become EXP.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arollins
Prior to qualify for EXP, what was ur status? Per ur FT profile it says PLT, if so then maybe the status change was not properly reflected, also SWU do take time to show up in account after you become EXP.
I was PLT, yes...but status had been changed and SWU's deposited a few days prior. Like I said...there was even a note in the PNR at one point.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I am surprised that you had this issue to be honest. I have never actually changed from mileage to SWU for upgrade requests but recent experience has them asking me each time if I am using SWU or mileage to upgrade when I call to have tickets re-issued after making requests for mileage upgrades. I assumed you could just switch to whatever you wanted at the point of re-issuing, assuming you called and re-issued vs just letting the system do it based on what you told them when you made the request.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Definitely not a lost cause, but you need to contact AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal EXP desk) to get your miles reinstated. Call the EXP desk and ask to be transferred.

I had a similar issue last year where I requested an upgrade using a Business Extra certificate but they mistakenly pulled a SWU. AAdvantage Customer Service was able to sort it out.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

I did, actually, but his comment that "AA would make the final determination" sounded hopeless, dismissive, and frankly, accusatory. I'm glad to see a situation like it that worked out the right way.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by Kate2015
I did, actually, but his comment that "AA would make the final determination" sounded hopeless, dismissive, and frankly, accusatory. I'm glad to see a situation like it that worked out the right way.
Have you checked your credit card? All UPGRADES, AFAIK, are Miles + Co-PAY (unless CK) and therefore there should be corresponding hit on your CC as well. Did you take a screenshot of the display showing the SWU request??

EDIT: As noted downstream, most J -> F upgrades (as is the case in question) do not require co-pays.

Last edited by Madison Guy; Dec 21, 2015 at 7:25 pm
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Have you checked your credit card? All UPGRADES, AFAIK, are Miles + Co-PAY (unless CK) and therefore there should be corresponding hit on your CC as well. Did you take a screenshot of the display showing the SWU request??
Not from J, D or R, which can be upgraded without co-pay.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Not from J, D or R, which can be upgraded without co-pay.
... And that is exactly the case being reported. Sorry for the false alarm.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Did you take a screenshot of the display showing the SWU request.
That would have been too easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.