Wiki Posts
Search

PHL winter route upgauges

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
PHL winter route upgauges

I noticed that some unusual routes from PHL are getting upgauged to a 757 on select days in January.

Notably: PHL-SEA (flight 1939) and PHL-SAN (flight 429). I can't recall this happening in previous years. I assume it has to do with the strong westerlies in January and wonder if these are transatlantic configured 757s doing domestic hops during the off-season.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
I recently noticed widebodies running to Florida in the winter months... They have 332s going PHL-MCO and PHL-MIA.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by bridge29
I noticed that some unusual routes from PHL are getting upgauged to a 757 on select days in January.

Notably: PHL-SEA (flight 1939) and PHL-SAN (flight 429). I can't recall this happening in previous years. I assume it has to do with the strong westerlies in January and wonder if these are transatlantic configured 757s doing domestic hops during the off-season.
PHL-SEA and PHL-SAN are slightly shorter in distance than PHL-LAX and about 150 miles shorter than PHL-SFO. So I'm not sure about it being due to winter headwinds. And these could end up being operated with the newly reconfigured USeast 757s with just 12 F seats.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
In fall/winter months it's not uncommon for there to be the occasional 332' or 333 PHL-CLT.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fanjet
PHL-SEA and PHL-SAN are slightly shorter in distance than PHL-LAX and about 150 miles shorter than PHL-SFO. So I'm not sure about it being due to winter headwinds. And these could end up being operated with the newly reconfigured USeast 757s with just 12 F seats.
Interesting, I'm surprised they aren't running the 757 between PHL-SFO and LAX then, considering they clearly drive more traffic and it would provide a slightly more premium experience over the A321.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gary_nj
I recently noticed widebodies running to Florida in the winter months... They have 332s going PHL-MCO and PHL-MIA.
PHL-MCO is typical; it happens every winter season. It used to be 762s when they were still flying.

PHL-MIA routinely has a 767 on it and an A330 in the winter season since the merger.

A couple of years ago they had the 757 going to SAN in the winter, but I haven't seen that one in awhile.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting, I'm surprised they aren't running the 757 between PHL-SFO and LAX then, considering they clearly drive more traffic and it would provide a slightly more premium experience over the A321.
No. They are newly reconfigured with 12 domestic F seats. Not the former 12 J seats. So if they put one of those on PHL-LAX/SFO, it would be a downgrade IMO. It could be aircraft positioning. These aircraft are taking over the PHX-Hawaii runs next month, as all but one(?) of the former HP 757s are being retired in the coming weeks IIRC.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by gary_nj
As mentioned this has been normal practice the past few winters. Some days there are 2-3 330s on PHL-MCO.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

Not new, US had used a Envoy 757 on the PHL-PHX-SAN-PHX-PHL route it's a nice ride if you can get the upgrade, very hard to. The return, the plane usually sits in PHX over night and leaves first thing in the AM to PHL so it can be used on the afternoon flight to Europe. Now during the winter months, US would send 333 to PHX from CLT, which was a nice ride too.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Not new, US had used a Envoy 757 on the PHL-PHX-SAN-PHX-PHL route it's a nice ride if you can get the upgrade, very hard to. The return, the plane usually sits in PHX over night and leaves first thing in the AM to PHL so it can be used on the afternoon flight to Europe. Now during the winter months, US would send 333 to PHX from CLT, which was a nice ride too.
Interesting, this is direct PHL-SAN though, no stop in PHX.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting, this is direct PHL-SAN though, no stop in PHX.
Exactly what dates are you looking at? Because I've checked several dates in January (as well as February and March) and flight 429 is a 321 on every day I've seen. In fact, both PHL-SAN flights are on 321s. On one Sunday in January 429 is a 320, though; and on one Sunday in February it is a 319. And BTW, if they are using a 320 in the wintertime, headwinds are not an anticipated concern for them.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
PHL upgauages like this because they pull planes off their Europe rotations. E.g. PHL-SXM frequently upgauges to an a330 during the winter
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
And BTW, if they are using a 320 in the wintertime, headwinds are not an anticipated concern for them.
Hopefully this is less of an issue going forward. Most of the US A320s that had that issue were the older ones from HP, most if not all of which were retired in the past few years in favor of new A321s. Newer A320s are a bit less likely to have the headwind fuel issues, and the PHL-SAN route is a bit shorter at 2,370 miles, than PHL-SFO, which is 2,521 miles and more susceptible to fuel stops.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Exactly what dates are you looking at? Because I've checked several dates in January (as well as February and March) and flight 429 is a 321 on every day I've seen. In fact, both PHL-SAN flights are on 321s. On one Sunday in January 429 is a 320, though; and on one Sunday in February it is a 319. And BTW, if they are using a 320 in the wintertime, headwinds are not an anticipated concern for them.
Odd, yes appears to have been replaced with a A321 in the latest schedule update.

However, flight 1939 PHL-SEA on January 14th, 21st and 28th is still listed as a 757.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...SEA0AA1939;s=0
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:36 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by drewp123
PHL upgauages like this because they pull planes off their Europe rotations. E.g. PHL-SXM frequently upgauges to an a330 during the winter
Yup. PHL-SJU and CLT-SJU too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.