Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeeming miles from one account - Paying from another - Be careful

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT

I redeemed an award from my wife's account for myself and put it on hold.

A few days later I logged into my account, went to the reservation and paid for it. I then discovered AA had taken the miles out of my account?

After 3 phone calls they fixed it but not before being told 3 different stories as to why it did what it did and what the "proper" way was to do it next time.

I was pretty surprised that the miles would come out of my account since I had done all the booking through my wife's account.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: UA-Plat, AA - EXP, SPG-Gold
The miles will always be deducted from the account that you are logged in when paying for the reservation, nothing new here.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chgodude
The miles will always be deducted from the account that you are logged in when paying for the reservation, nothing new here.
It may not be new but it seems counter intuitive that the miles would come out of an account that was not used to book the award. And maybe that's why they "fixed" it for me.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I redeemed an award from my wife's account for myself and put it on hold."

No you didn't. Putting an award on hold does not equal redeeming an award. You can even put an award on hold from an account that lacks sufficient miles to actually redeem for the award.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I redeemed an award from my wife's account for myself and put it on hold."

No you didn't. Putting an award on hold does not equal redeeming an award. You can even put an award on hold from an account that lacks sufficient miles to actually redeem for the award.
I agree. It's not actually redeemed until it is paid for. A "technicality" that in this case actually mattered.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pkerr
I agree. It's not actually redeemed until it is paid for. A "technicality" that in this case actually mattered.
Dont know why you are surprised. The miles are ALWAYS deducted from the account logged in to pay for the reservation.

If you want the miles from your wife's account you should log in from HER account instead.

Making the reservation has absolutely NO BEARING from which account the miles would come from, even you made the reservation when logged in your wife's account. It is at the redemption time whether you do it online (the account logged in) or, you tell the agent which account the miles coming from - then the miles will be deducted from the specific account. Before that it is pretty much a "technically generic reservation" as to where the miles coming from as guv1976 said, the reservation can even be made from an account does NOT have enough miles.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: QF LTG
That's like saying I put a flight on hold in my wife's name then entered my credit card details. Why did they charge me.

Nothing to see here
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
Nothing to see here
Actually, there is - as per post #2.

A reminder for those with various levels of experience and a good lesson for those new to AAdvantage.@:-)

I nearly made such a mistake last week (would have I my account had had enough miles for the award I was trying to complete a held booking from my wife's account) - only realised when I saw the purchase miles offer.

Last edited by serfty; Dec 21, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.