Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

MODERATOR NOTE

NOTE: This thread is exclusively for q&a, discussion about security procedures encountered by AA passengers. General discussion about airport security properly belongs in the Travel Safety / Security fora, particularly the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate subforum. Link.

The 2017 enhanced security interviewing general discussion is New passenger screening "interviews" to US, starting Oct 26/2017

As of Thursday, 26 Oct 2017 the procedures described below have been expanded to all airlines and departure points to the USA, required to avoid the alternative ban on personal electronic devices larger than a mobile phone that was originally imposed. By October 26 2017 these have been implemented network-wide by AA and most airlines. A few airlines were granted extensions until mid-January 2018.

Be sure to allow yourself plenty of time to complete these additional procedures, which may include all procedures detailed below, including interviews, deeper scrutiny of documents, carryon baggage and personal items, including explosives detection swabbing of electronic devices.

Link to Reuters article, 29 June 2017

Link to Time article, 25 Oct 2017

Link to USA Today article, 25 Oct 2017

Security procedures for those departing internationally to the USA, particularly since 11 Sep 2001, have been more extensive. The U. S. Department of Homeland Security requires ALL airlines perform more extensive passenger screening of USA-bound passengers. (AA began in Europe with ICTS International a Dutch firm founded by former Israeli Shin Bet (internal security) and El Al personnel. In Europe, when you have been cleared (at or near the gate generally) they will affix a sticker (base and letter colors may vary by day, etc.) marked "ICTS" to your passport cover.)

Passenger questioning generally includes a first layer of questions, usually asked by check-in staff, that include such items as "Who packed your baggage?", "Has your baggage been in your possession since it was packed?", "What electronic devices do you have?", "Have you had any repaired while on your trip?"

A second layer of questions may include requests for more detailed information about you and your travels, such as "What do you do for a living?", "What company do you work for?", "What's the name of your CEO?", "How many times a year do you travel through XYZ?", "Where did you stay?", "What's your favorite restaurant in ....?", "Tell me about your best ever holiday?", "describe your neighborhood" and include questions about your home address, neighborhood, children, etc. To some people these questions might appear intrusive; others may feel the body language, tone and language used are inappropriate in some way.

These second layer questions were previously asked by contract security personnel, but now might be asked by airline check-in staff as well. Note the behavior of the passenger is observed and may be emphasized over answer content. Failure to reply with requested information or refusal may result in more extensive procedures.

Be aware: it has been verified the agents have the ability to issue your boarding pass with "SSSS", meaning you will get "heavy" screening. Several people have described "giving lip" or declining to answer agent second layer questions for various reasons and getting SSSS.

Though USA-bound passengers are generally screened at or prior to entering the gate area for departure, additional screening may include more extensive questioning by AA or contracted security personnel and / or more screening of possessions. This may be entering or at the gate area, or even at temporary stations set up at the gate or on the boarding bridge; passengers may be selected randomly, or from lists that may include other countries one has visited.

Other procedures may be used at other airports for departing passengers boarding to the USA. Procedures may intensify or lessen as influenced by current security status or information in possession of local, airport, airline or other security and intelligence entities.

More extensive security suggest giving yourself more time to process these enhanced procedures.

Please refrain from altering this moderator note.
Airports initially used by AA included because of different, more thorough etc. security included:

AMS - Amsterdam, The Netherlands: USA-bound AA passengers are reported to undergo airline security contractor questioning at check-in or when transiting.

BOG - Bogotá, Colombia: USA-bound AA passengers are reported to undergo more intense, even aggressive, questioning even from than other Colombian airports served by AA in 2016.

BRU - Brussels, Belgium: a terror bombing at departures 22 Mar 2016 has impacted BRU and security procedures have changed and intensified as it slowly reopens.

DUB - Dublin, Ireland: AA passengers departing to the USA pass through airport security to the airside departures area with shops and lounges - followed by US Customs and Border Protection (customs and immigration) formalities and TSA security, as this is one of several pre-clearance airports (the aircraft arrives in the USA as a domestic flight). Please discuss DUB in the dedicated thread - link.

LHR - Some members report more extensive and intrusive questioning of AA USA-bound passengers. It doesn't seem different than questioning that has been used on departing passengers elsewhere (e.g. AMS, BRU, CDG, FCO, FRA, MAD in the wiki author's experience), but the intensity could vary - influenced by current security status or information in possession of local, airport, airline or other security and intelligence entities.

MEX - México City, Mexico: Hand baggage inspection tables are generally set up at the jetbridge for further examination of documents and carry-on items. Though passengers are said to be randomly selected, the first passengers boarding are often selected.
Updated October 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Enhanced AA airport security screening procedures, questions (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
What a joke, I understand in airports you lose certain rights when flying (like going through security and having yourself/your belongings searched and making sure you are who you are) but I would reply snarky to such questions.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DCP2016
What a joke, I understand in airports you lose certain rights when flying (like going through security and having yourself/your belongings searched and making sure you are who you are) but I would reply snarky to such questions.
Of course you would, because everyone on the anonymous internet is a tough guy/gal.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by rjw242
Of course you would, because everyone on the anonymous internet is a tough guy/gal.

If you don't use your rights, you lose them. Asking me who I am and where I am going/where I went is one thing. Asking me where I specifically work, names of people I visited, and what is near where I live is both unnecessary to the safety of the traveling public and invasive. I would more than likely answer them and then ask them right back to the check-in agent. If they refuse, I would file a complaint.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by rjw242
I wasn't too terribly pleasant when I went through it last year, but as the questions kept coming, I became more amused than anything.

It's a bit like a behavioral interview. They're not interested in the answers to the questions so much as they are your body language and general demeanor.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:59 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I don't usually fly AA out of LHR, but the one time I did I got these questions and clearly "failed" as I got the dreaded SSSS on my boarding pass.

I hadn't been reading enough Flyertalk and wasn't expecting an untrained or cleared member of check-in staff ask me personal information about my family and business interests.

At the time I was doing something like passing through London from Dubai after finishing some work in Saudi Arabia in order to go to my dentist before going to Atlanta for partnership discussions via New York to see a friend.

At which point I was asked where I lived and I replied something like "a small island you'll not have heard of".

I will (almost) always be polite and cooperative, but the pretense of having unqualified people ask stupid questions make me more safe is insulting.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I will (almost) always be polite and cooperative, but the pretense of having unqualified people ask stupid questions make me more safe is insulting.
This is my point, thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

Exactly. This is not enhanced security, this is the illusion of security. If one fails, all they need to do is simply leave the airport and try again another day if they have malicious intent. We got this for the first time out of CDG and the funny thing was that I already had SSSS which is why it wouldn't let me OLCI. I was more caught off guard by the level of details they want that I am not willing to share such as the nature of my work which has nothing to do with a holiday in Europe. I think most Americans that want to have some semblance of privacy would fail this so not sure how effective it is.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by apeortdz
The last time my wife and I traveled LHR-PHL we were asked the security questions.

Agent - "Where did you stay last night"
Me and wife answered concurrently - "The Hilton in Terminal 4"
Me - "I'm glad our answers agree!"

Then I get the dreaded SSSS on my BP!

Coincidence? I think not!
The haraSSSSment flags for passengers on that route are generally determined well before being questioned by these characters at LHR. Being flagged may lead to more invasive questions/record checks, but it’s very rarely the case that the passenger’s verbal answers cause the haraSSSSment flagging when flying AA out of Europe.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA-Platinum
The last two of out three times flying from LHR to the USA, I've encountered the questions at Flagship check-in. I'm Executive Platinum, Platinum for life, have Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, and Sentri. The first time, I emailed Executive Platinum about this silliness, I was told this is not normal procedure and to accept their apologies. The second time flying out of LHR to the USA, I was not asked the silly questions. The last flight-two weeks ago, I was asked where I last took a holiday, a restaurant name where I was on holiday, and my dog's name. I put my foot down and asked how these silly questions had any relevance to the flight's safety. I was told it's TSA required for American carriers. British Airways doesn't waste my time asking these silly irrelevant questions, I replied that all air carriers flying into USA airspace have to follow TSA regulations and I'll be flying BA in the future. I've contacted Executive Platinum several times only for them to refer to the TSA. While I'm all for airport/airplane security, I find these silly questions a complete waste of my time and harassment. I do wonder if they violate UK privacy laws. I know for a fact that the other US carriers, DO NOT ask these stupid questions. In the last two weeks, friends have flown UAL and DL back to the USA from LHR and did not encounter any questions. Either American is making it up or they the only USA carrier working with the TSA. I have one more flight on AA to burn my SWU's. Going forward, I'll fly BA for the nonstop and an amazing check-in experience at the LHR First Class check-in area.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HH Diamond.
Earlier this week, my wife was asked what she did during here stay in the UK..
She went to Falmouth.
'how did she travel to Falmouth?'
by train.
'how long did the train journey take?'
about 5 hours with a change in Truro.
'how much did the train ticket cost?'

Seriously?
jdw0624 likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
It's still the same when I fly out of MDE. That's why I have been on AA from here only one time this year. I'm Presidential Platinum on Copa just because they don't make me do this, and they don't route me through AA's disaster of an Intl. Baggage Claim area at MIA to get ANYwhere in the US.

Think about how much revenue they lost just on me. I'm also EXP, and I pay to ensure that I sit up front on both airlines. Maybe they'll read this and eventually fix it, but I'm not going back until and unless they do.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by aldaniti
Earlier this week, my wife was asked what she did during here stay in the UK..
She went to Falmouth.
'how did she travel to Falmouth?'
by train.
'how long did the train journey take?'
about 5 hours with a change in Truro.
'how much did the train ticket cost?'

Seriously?

Really we HAVE to work together and build a bridge to American. They're going to keep losing premium cabin transatlantic traffic if they keep asking who our school headmasters were. ('It was Dr. Donaldson, and he would have failed you.")

As for the train faire question:

My answer (albeit insulting):
Fare from Falmouth to Paddington: £23 (trailine.com)
Hourly salary for a Swissport agent at Heathrow: £7.82 (swissport.com)

Or a more interesting answer:
"The Falmouth ticket was free of charge in exchange for a 'personal connection' I made with the conductor. Are you in to that sort of thing too? I thought so. You have that look."
scolbath likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
A month ago flying out of GLA:
"what was the purpose of your visit in the UK?"
"where did you go?"
"what did you enjoy most about Scotland?"

The check-in agent asking the questions tried to make it sound like a friendly conversation rather than a security screening interview.

At the gate they had a curtained section for additional security screening, and the agents had a list of people selected to go through the extra security - either the computer selected some people or the check-in agents decide whether to add someone to the list. I must have passed the check-in interview since I was not on the list.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:22 am

I think "What did you enjoy most" is a decent, friendly, open-ended question. I'm not sure it it's really meaningful from a security standpoint. It's not unlike an El Al question for a tourist. The goal is see if the passenger has something more indepth and detailed, beyond a Wikipedia answer. It's also just ONE question, and it's not completely out of left field.

I just finished an online course from Chameleon Associates about security questioning. Here's what I think:

American and Swissport are applying a level of questioning used for people who have already aroused suspicion. "Trick questions" like "Who is the mayor of your town? I saw him on television" are designed as shibboleths... only someone from that town is likely to know. (Best answer "If you saw him on television, you would have known that the mayor is a woman. Busted.")

They also ask these foolish questions about train fares and primary school headmasters that bring serious concern about their ability to conduct meaningful threat assessments. A customs officer questioning a possible drug mule might ask about a ticket fare. But that's about the airplane ticket, and that's someone who has already been pulled aside, not the general queue. And that's a customs officer, not a Swissport check in agent.

They also need to be much more wary of privacy laws and customer service. The names of our animals, loved ones, relatives, relationships with our bosses... that is so far beyond the realm of airport security. They haven't yet caught on to the notion of "over the top."

Again, American's "C suite" needs to know this is happening, and how it affects their revenue and their image.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Mats
Again, American's "C suite" needs to know this is happening, and how it affects their revenue and their image.
I truly believe that there is no way that they don't know. If by some chance I'm wrong, it's their fault for being inept. We certainly have voiced our displeasure about it enough in these pages.

If you were an airline Cust. Svc. Exec., wouldn't you be following everything written about your customers' perception of your product here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.