Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-8 / 788 w/ J20, Premium Economy / PE / PEY Discussion (refit completed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
The early 2019 787-8 retrofit standardizes 788 seating at C20, W28, Y186 (of which 42 are MCE)

AA begins selling Premium Economy tickets as if 1 May (if not before) on the 787-8.

787-8 Current Status as of 24 April April 2019: NO J28 788s left in service, refit completed.:

Refitting took two weeks per airframe, and two were in the shop at Paine Field at any one time. N800AN was the test article / prototype (PAE Sep 2018), N816AA was the last (returned to service 24 Apr 2019).

here[/u] for fairly current listings.

All Boeing 787-8 have Premium Economy as of 24 April 2019.
All Boeing 787-9 have Premium Economy “out of the box”.

The Rockwell Collins MiQ seat has been selected. This is also the domestic (newly renamed) Business seat in narrowbodies, with added drop down footpegs (foot and leg rest in bulkhead rows), seatback IFE, non-moveable head rests.

Link to AA Premium Economy page.
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-8 / 788 w/ J20, Premium Economy / PE / PEY Discussion (refit completed)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 2:18 am

Since the refit, do the FAs for the business class cabin do all the service from the front galley? Currently I'm booked in 5A (chosen because of the seat movement issues) for a flight next week, but am wondering whether the service will be slow in the back row. If so, I might prefer to move forward, even with the seat issues.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer
Since the refit, do the FAs for the business class cabin do all the service from the front galley? Currently I'm booked in 5A (chosen because of the seat movement issues) for a flight next week, but am wondering whether the service will be slow in the back row. If so, I might prefer to move forward, even with the seat issues.
I believe the service for J will happen from he front galley and the food service for Y comes he back, I don't think the mid "galley" is a true prep galley I don't remember seeing that on our flight, we had J seats on one flight and Y seats on another on the 788.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I believe the service for J will happen from he front galley and the food service for Y comes he back, I don't think the mid "galley" is a true prep galley I don't remember seeing that on our flight, we had J seats on one flight and Y seats on another on the 788.
My recollection is primary J service came out of the forward galley (from many 945/940 DFW-SCL flights). Possibly breakfast service in the morning came from the mid galley (I’m usually only awake at the clean up phase of breakfast). I never recall any “split” service where front and rear J cabins were serviced from separate galleys for the same service. I recall them making coffee as fast as they could in the mid galley to feed further back into coach.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
N816AA back to ORD tonight from PAE. The last 788 refit. All 20 are now done and back in service. 👍🏼
JDiver and geo1005 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:21 pm

Looking at using an award flight from ORD-LHR in October (currently N808AN according to FlightStats). MCE now starts at Row 10. Anybody know if the refit affected the way the windows fall? I'd hate to be stuck without a window for a mostly daytime flight. SeatGuru doesn't have a ton of reviews for the reffited aircraft (788 Layout 2). Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin

My recollection is primary J service came out of the forward galley (from many 945/940 DFW-SCL flights). Possibly breakfast service in the morning came from the mid galley (I’m usually only awake at the clean up phase of breakfast). I never recall any “split” service where front and rear J cabins were serviced from separate galleys for the same service. I recall them making coffee as fast as they could in the mid galley to feed further back into coach.
Flew 91 last week and 90 yesterday. All J catering from forward galley. Snack bar situated in mid galley between J and Coach.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin

Originally Posted by rjlon

Flew 91 last week and 90 yesterday. All J catering from forward galley. Snack bar situated in mid galley between J and Coach.
On our flight from china all meal services (3 of them) where done from the front galley. I'm sure with PY added, that theY FA's will do that service too, which is sad.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:38 pm
Suspended

On ORD-LHR-ORD only J serviced from front galley. All Coach cabins were handled from other galleys. No curtains, shared rear bathrooms and snack bar in middle galley behind J. Whether that will change when they sell it as Premium Coach, I do not know.
I thought it would be a downer but on full flights I found the service as good as ever. Also very surprised to be offered espresso as I have only received espresso in F cabin on 773’s. Still better than ancient 744’s on BA where the machines are normally broken. Still love 747’s even if they are BA and tired.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
On ORD-LHR-ORD only J serviced from front galley. All Coach cabins were handled from other galleys. No curtains, shared rear bathrooms and snack bar in middle galley behind J. Whether that will change when they sell it as Premium Coach, I do not know.
I thought it would be a downer but on full flights I found the service as good as ever. Also very surprised to be offered espresso as I have only received espresso in F cabin on 773’s. Still better than ancient 744’s on BA where the machines are normally broken. Still love 747’s even if they are BA and tired.
Very surprising! I wonder if this is a new offering to be rolled out throughout J? That would be amazing..
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Very surprising! I wonder if this is a new offering to be rolled out throughout J? That would be amazing..
it was a real bonus for me as airline coffee is often a real disappointment. Good job AA.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

it was a real bonus for me as airline coffee is often a real disappointment. Good job AA.
You should start a separate thread on the topic (I would, but since you experienced it) to see if this is a "test" or a spreading phenomena
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
You should start a separate thread on the topic (I would, but since you experienced it) to see if this is a "test" or a spreading phenomena
Agreed, how did this even happen? Did AA retrofit the 788 with an espresso machine? I also thought only the 77W had espresso machines, and even there it's not officially available to J.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:26 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
It's standard offering in J on the 789.
Attached Images  
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flightrisk
Agreed, how did this even happen? Did AA retrofit the 788 with an espresso machine? I also thought only the 77W had espresso machines, and even there it's not officially available to J.
it doesn't really require much work to change out. The coffee makers are modular, so you just yank one out and add this.

interesting that this is now an option. ^
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TWA884
It's standard offering in J on the 789.
What! How I am supposed to know this. I've never been offered one and it's not listed on the menu. What other secret menu items don't I know about?

Seriously, that's great to hear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.