Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Badly Treated at SFO. Normal? How to Mitigate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
I love SFO T2

SFO T2 is my favorite terminal...great food, massage station...AC could be a little bigger...feels like Grand Central Terminal at rush hour some times!

I have not had any issues at T2 SFO although I am TSA Pre-check and I don't check in any bags. Maybe I've been spared the amateur agents LOL!
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by hartlogan
#4) seems like extreme overkill. If you're flying 3-4x a week out of SFO, you're surely EXP and will be rebooked on a connection or could simply call the EXP line on the way to the airport.
Okay, this happened just once when I was platinum... SFO-ORD. Showed up late at the airport due to traffic (was already rushed returning rental, and airtrain broke down of all things, and my cell phone was out of battery so no bp...). The later SFO-ORD flight was sold out but there was a SFO-LAX-ORD (there's actually 2x evening LAX-ORD flights vs 1x SFO-ORD) so of course I thought the fastest way to resolve the problem is to go to check-in agent... WRONG. Not only is the line broken (no one paying attention to the priority line), the agent is super slow and "isn't sure if he can put me on standby for the next flight because theres no space and the standby list is long, and definitely cannot change routing"... eventually some supervisor tells him how to put me on standby. The second to the last SFO-LAX flight that evening had finished boarding by the time I got through security. Luckily the last SFO-LAX flight still had availability. DFW weather that night didn't help. Probably should have learned my lesson that night...

So yes, this instance my fault, but my results would have been better going to VX counter and purchasing a ticket to get through security, followed by going straight to the gate and asking the gate agent if there was space. Not that I actually did that.

#5) ... and maybe question you more? Do you take this creative workaround approach anytime you run into problems? If so, perhaps that contributes to your bad experiences
Eh, you're right about #5. Welp, guess there's nothing to do except deal with the check-in agents at SFO in that case and hope for the best. Note: probably not all the check-in agents at SFO are bad, I seem to remember some efficient, friendly/good ones, but there most definitely are some bad apples in the mix there.

And no, I have no actually applied any of these creative solutions yet. But I do often have very weird travel itineraries, like international double open-jaw flights.

OP, can you shed some light on this one? If I recall correctly, you were asking in another thread about booking separate tickets for you on AA vs your wife and kids on QF.

In the rare combination of booking that you
1) booked the domestic legs for your wife & kids separately from yours,
2) booked their domestic legs separately from the int'l legs, and
3) your wife and kids aren't at least AA Gold,
then being charged for 3 bags would have been correct (you could have done 4 of the 7 if on a TPAC ticket yourself)...
Hm, yeah, although historically linking another PNR has "gifted" baggage allotment to the other non status passenger, that's not actually policy. Doubtful the SFO check-in agents would be that lenient though.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:49 pm

Is it possible the check in agent had some non rev friends on the flight?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by no2chem
So yes, this instance my fault, but my results would have been better going to VX counter and purchasing a ticket to get through security, followed by going straight to the gate and asking the gate agent if there was space. Not that I actually did that.
This raises an interesting question. Can you actually buy a refundable ticket at the counter? It seems like that wouldn't be allowed for obvious reasons. If you're already at the airport and requesting that, you're definitely not planning on using it.

Now, if your phone wasn't dead, you might be able to buy one online. But by the time you do that, get it ticketed, and check-in, you could probably already have called the EXP or normal AA line (barring major weather events and such, of course).

Hm, yeah, although historically linking another PNR has "gifted" baggage allotment to the other non status passenger, that's not actually policy. Doubtful the SFO check-in agents would be that lenient though.
That's precisely why I'm asking the OP how his tickets were purchased. Perhaps the agents were following policy, although that's a long shot!!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
This raises an interesting question. Can you actually buy a refundable ticket at the counter? It seems like that wouldn't be allowed for obvious reasons. If you're already at the airport and requesting that, you're definitely not planning on using it.

Now, if your phone wasn't dead, you might be able to buy one online. But by the time you do that, get it ticketed, and check-in, you could probably already have called the EXP or normal AA line (barring major weather events and such, of course).
I've legitimately bought refundable tickets at the ticket counter in irrops conditions. I don't know why they wouldn't let you buy one at the counter, really. --- there are plenty of reasons people buy refundable (full-fare tickets) at airports.

That's precisely why I'm asking the OP how his tickets were purchased. Perhaps the agents were following policy, although that's a long shot!!
Yeah, though it still doesn't explain the W op-down (attempt?).
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT
Originally Posted by standingoten
Doesn't surprise me. San Francisco has in the past few years become the rudest city in the US.
San Francisco is definitely ruder, but it's from the influx of self-absorbed techies and financiers, not service workers.

I've never had a problem with agents at SFO, though I once heard one get mighty gruff with someone who desperately deserved it.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:38 pm

I've legitimately bought refundable tickets at the ticket counter in irrops conditions. I don't know why they wouldn't let you buy one at the counter, really. --- there are plenty of reasons people buy refundable (full-fare tickets) at airports.
What reasons? I'm legitimately curious. I can't think of any reason for wanting to buy a refundable ticket at the counter, at least one that I'm intending to use. And if I have zero intention of using it, what reason does the airline have to make they available?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA PRO

Maybe F or Y is the only fare bucket left on the flight?
Maybe you want the mile or point bonus that comes with a full fare ticket?
Maybe it's not a simple one way or round trip ticket but one that includes other layovers or stopovers and you want flexibility to change those?

I've never done it either but I can think of some examples as to why it might be done, besides for the ploy of accessing the gate / lounge and then cancelling.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:43 am

What reasons? I'm legitimately curious. I can't think of any reason for wanting to buy a refundable ticket at the counter, at least one that I'm intending to use. And if I have zero intention of using it, what reason does the airline have to make they available?
As intub8r indicates, its often the only available fare last minute, especially on short haul flights.

What happens to me is that my destination goes WX (for example SFO fog during runway construction...) and I really need to get there, or I already purchased a last minute refundable fare anyway. If I see that some other carrier has not posted a delay on their flight, I'll go over and pick up a ticket. Sometimes my original flight ends up being faster, sometimes the new flight ends up faster.

So if my original flight ends up being fine, I just cancel the refundable ticket I just bought. After all, thats what they are for, right?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

OP Here. Sorry, was in Australia

OP, can you shed some light on this one? If I recall correctly, you were asking in another thread about booking separate tickets for you on AA vs your wife and kids on QF.

In the rare combination of booking that you
1) booked the domestic legs for your wife & kids separately from yours,
2) booked their domestic legs separately from the int'l legs, and
3) your wife and kids aren't at least AA Gold,
then being charged for 3 bags would have been correct (you could have done 4 of the 7 if on a TPAC ticket yourself)...
Hi Everyone,

Gosh my post got a lot of interest and quite a divided response.

The wife and kids were on AA awards from my account SFO-MEL. I was on a paid ticket exact same route.

According to AA's own website they should be allowed two bags each. So in total just between the three of them they should have been allowed 6 bags.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Did your checked baggage comply? You had asked about this before.
Were all of you on 1 PNR/tickets or seperate PNR/tickets?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post25793774
Yes, no bags were oversized and the TPAC allowance is quite generous.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 10:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

just to clarify

Hi

I was only treated badly by the check in agents.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
I am unclear as to what calling the EXP Desk would accomplish. They are reservations agents; not the Internal Affairs department.

(Incidentally, I've never had any kind of problem at SFO.)
Well, has anyone tried calling the EXP line lately? It has, IMHO, sunk very badly from the glory days of 10 - 15 yrs ago. Now, all I get, is "Welcome back*****, we'd like to call you back in 10 - 14 minutes. Don't worry, you won't lose your place in line" and yadda.

When I get the re-calls, they often flub them, and it's another 14 minutes. I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FullFare
Well, has anyone tried calling the EXP line lately? It has, IMHO, sunk very badly from the glory days of 10 - 15 yrs ago. Now, all I get, is "Welcome back*****, we'd like to call you back in 10 - 14 minutes. Don't worry, you won't lose your place in line" and yadda.

When I get the re-calls, they often flub them, and it's another 14 minutes. I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable.
Agreed, and there's also thread on the subject here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by intub8r
Maybe F or Y is the only fare bucket left on the flight?
Maybe you want the mile or point bonus that comes with a full fare ticket?
Maybe it's not a simple one way or round trip ticket but one that includes other layovers or stopovers and you want flexibility to change those?

I've never done it either but I can think of some examples as to why it might be done, besides for the ploy of accessing the gate / lounge and then cancelling.
As intub8r indicates, its often the only available fare last minute, especially on short haul flights.

What happens to me is that my destination goes WX (for example SFO fog during runway construction...) and I really need to get there, or I already purchased a last minute refundable fare anyway. If I see that some other carrier has not posted a delay on their flight, I'll go over and pick up a ticket. Sometimes my original flight ends up being faster, sometimes the new flight ends up faster.

So if my original flight ends up being fine, I just cancel the refundable ticket I just bought. After all, thats what they are for, right?
Ah, makes sense. And something to think about (fare rules, etc) should I ever need to buy a ticket at the counter. Thanks ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.