FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Badly Treated at SFO. Normal? How to Mitigate?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:06 pm
corncob

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by intub8r
Maybe F or Y is the only fare bucket left on the flight?
Maybe you want the mile or point bonus that comes with a full fare ticket?
Maybe it's not a simple one way or round trip ticket but one that includes other layovers or stopovers and you want flexibility to change those?

I've never done it either but I can think of some examples as to why it might be done, besides for the ploy of accessing the gate / lounge and then cancelling.
Originally Posted by no2chem
As intub8r indicates, its often the only available fare last minute, especially on short haul flights.

What happens to me is that my destination goes WX (for example SFO fog during runway construction...) and I really need to get there, or I already purchased a last minute refundable fare anyway. If I see that some other carrier has not posted a delay on their flight, I'll go over and pick up a ticket. Sometimes my original flight ends up being faster, sometimes the new flight ends up faster.

So if my original flight ends up being fine, I just cancel the refundable ticket I just bought. After all, thats what they are for, right?
Ah, makes sense. And something to think about (fare rules, etc) should I ever need to buy a ticket at the counter. Thanks ^