Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please see the current thread here.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints, compensation and AA (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by AyeCaramba
I had a booking MIA-LHR in a couple of weeks in F - upon looking at the seat map there has been an aircraft change and it doesn't look like there is an F cabin on this flight so I've been downgraded to J

Does this qualify under EU261?

There's a BA flight at the same time - if I wanted to switch to the BA flight in F will AA do this (it's a BA booking albeit on AA metal)?
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you are travelling on an AA flight from USA to London , EC261 does not apply. It only applies if travelling on an AA flight from Europe to USA

( It would have applied if you were on a BA flight from MIA-LHR )

I would look at calling BA and getting BA to rebook you onto the BA flight
OP - Who did you book this with? If it is BA, call BA. (Not up to AA)

Last edited by Global321; Nov 25, 2015 at 11:44 am Reason: corrected
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 110pgl
OP - Who did you book this with? If it is BA, call BA. (Not up to AA)
The OP indicated it's a BA booking on AA metal.

Definitely call BA and simply get rebooked on another AA or BA flight that offers F. Even if it had applied, EC261 is really meant for involuntary downgrades, not something that could pretty easily be fixed in advance of travel. I'd like to think BA would have contacted you at some point to suggest alternatives.

I would also just double check to be sure that you really lost your F seat (we could help if you share date and flight number). As far as I can tell MIA-LHR flights in a couple weeks on AA are operating with 77W and 777 (non-retrofit), both of which are 3-class planes.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ismann

Definitely call BA and simply get rebooked on another AA or BA flight that offers F. Even if it had applied, EC261 is really meant for involuntary downgrades,
It is an involuntary downgrade

The passenger isn't supposed to have to change its travel plans around the whims of the airline wishing to drop cabins

If the airline makes a commercial choice to drop a cabin, then one commercial impact to consider is the cost of passengers already booked

Anyway, in this case it is irrevelent since the operating carrier is AA

Originally Posted by ismann
I would also just double check to be sure that you really lost your F seat (we could help if you share date and flight number). As far as I can tell MIA-LHR flights in a couple weeks on AA are operating with 77W and 777 (non-retrofit), both of which are 3-class planes.

The only AA flights I can see from EF for MIA-LHR with no 1st class cabin before Christmas are AA56 on 16/12 and AA36 on 18/12 , both operated using a 772

Last edited by Dave Noble; Nov 25, 2015 at 12:36 pm
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, MM
Update from my posts of 10/8 and 10/15.

Great news! Only 2 weeks after my mailing the letter and also sending one by email, I received a very favorable response from AA: $670USD monetary payment or $1,000USD voucher per person.

As an overseas trip was already planned, we accepted the vouchers, which will cover most of our airfare.

And FYI, we sent in our acceptance letters via email, and only 2 days later the e-vouchers were in my inbox.

Thank yous to all who helped me sort all this out, especially to Mr. Noble. Your wise words helped me be very specific in my letter to AA. Also, the information in the WIKI was extremely helpful.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is an involuntary downgrade

The only AA flights I can see from EF for MIA-LHR with no 1st class cabin before Christmas are AA56 on 16/12 and AA36 on 18/12 , both operated using a 772
I'm on AA38 on 18/12 which as you say has no F cabin (although it definitely did when I booked it and my Trip Locator still shows the travelling class as F even though I'm in a J seat)

I called AA (apols but I incorrectly stated earlier that my booking was with BA) and their response was "We can't book you onto the BA flight - your options are a full refund or to take the downgrade"
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm on AA38 on 18/12 which as you say has no F cabin

I called AA (apols but I incorrectly stated earlier that my booking was with BA) and their response was "We can't book you onto the BA flight - your options are a full refund or to take the downgrade"
If you are booked through AA on the AA flight

I would suggest checking what the fare is with another airline that has 1st class and , assuming something for the same ( or better price ) rebooking on that

Doesn't matter if AA is trying to claim it cannot rebook on BA ( or another carrier OW or otherwise ) if you just take a refund and rebook yourself

If not, then look at what the current fare on AA would be for oneway business and one way 1st on the flights you are currently on and cancelling and rebooking

What I wouldn't do is accept the downgrade as is , since if you do, you are at AA's pricing team's mercy on what reimbursement it will give

Based on other threads , it may not be nearly as good as just cancelling and rebooking
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I'm on AA38 on 18/12 which as you say has no F cabin (although it definitely did when I booked it and my Trip Locator still shows the travelling class as F even though I'm in a J seat)

Also, you might try calling in again with a specific flight request. With the influx of US agents, they may not be offering the best service that an former AAgent might offer.

Getting AA to rebook you will make an ORC request a bit easier than if you cancel and rebook yourself.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 9:29 pm

I thought you might have booked with AA.

Try asking for a reroute to a flight with first.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AA
Lots of 11D-F discussion but not much on A-C. Is it true 11A has no window? 11A-B are currently open on my Monday JFK-SFO but my SO has flight anxiety and does much better with a window.

We're in 12A-B right now.

We flew an old US A321 on the way out and had a crazy amount of legroom in an exit row, and that would be great to repeat, but not at the expense of a window unfortunately.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 2:15 pm

For those of you who accepted AA vouchers, did anyone try to ask for an extended expiration date (e.g. 2 years as opposed to 1 year)?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 3:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Huskiez
For those of you who accepted AA vouchers, did anyone try to ask for an extended expiration date (e.g. 2 years as opposed to 1 year)?
It's highly unlikely a one year extension would be granted from my fairly extensive reading of this forum, but you can certainly make the attempt.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Huskiez
No, didn't ask, but I agree it's highly unlikely. It's not like you're communicating with someone who's been empowered to negotiate every deal - they just offer cash or the standard voucher terms, and you make your selection.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by swisshiker
Great news! Only 2 weeks after my mailing the letter and also sending one by email, I received a very favorable response from AA: $670USD monetary payment or $1,000USD voucher per person.
Anyone have a list of where to mail the letters for AA? Specifically looking for Spain. All my google searches result in ticketing locations.

Please see the current thread here (link).

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 24, 2018 at 8:50 am Reason: Insert Moderator referral note
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP 1.97MM
Euro Regulation EC 261/2004 - Downgrade question

Hi,
I bought a very cheap first class ticket on AA for MIA-CDG RT.
I flew the first leg on first class booked in P Fare, today is my return and AA changed the aircraft to a 2 class 777 so i am flying business in I Fare.
I know that EC 261/2004 says if they downgrade you, they have to pay 75% of the fare difference. My question is, the first class ticket i bought was so cheap that was cheaper than any business class fare that day. What can i expect from AA?
Thanks in advance
Old Jan 4, 2016, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I know that EC 261/2004 says if they downgrade you, they have to pay 75% of the fare difference."

Are you sure that that is what the reg. says? I thought that it required a refund of 75% of the fare you paid (for the CDG-MIA portion of your ticket).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.