Wiki Posts
Search

Spend 27,500 miles or $187?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JohnAx
Regardless of status?
To Cancun, Gold gets 1 bag, Platinum 2, Executive Platinum 3. No status + credit card pays $25 for the 1st bag.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:04 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Well it is a little bit like asking if you should get a bed or a car. For sleeping, the bed would be a lot better. However, the car can do more things. Depends on your needs.

So, 27K miles are more valuable than $187 if we only consider air travel. On the other hand, cash is far more versatile.

So it will depend on whether you are particularly flush with or lacking in each currency.

Everything else being equal, it is no contest: pay $187. However, if you have a huge number of miles, are trying to burn them, etc., or if you are in a pinch for cash, that is a special case and use the miles instead.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
To Cancun, Gold gets 1 bag, Platinum 2, Executive Platinum 3. No status + credit card pays $25 for the 1st bag.
Thanks. The airlines are actively depreciating the "frequent flyer" experience so it wouldn't have surprised me to learn otherwise.

(e.g. on some domestic US flights at least, selecting a 'premium' seat can cost $48 and the asterisk says "aadvantage members must pay". They nicely point out that there's nothing premium about the seat other than it's near the front of the cabin. )

I wonder if the freight business is so good they can profit from the relatively empty cargo hold.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
If it were an apples to apples comparison, I *might* consider paying the miles if I was cash short. But given that it's a cheap, non-stop flight v. a connecting flight with miles, definitely pay cash!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.