Wiki Posts
Search

Spend 27,500 miles or $187?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton

I have about 500K miles between different accounts.

I need a one-way ticket to Mexico, but on the day I need to travel there is no saver award for the time that I need.

The flight is available via Dallas or Phoenix (1 hr layover) for 27.5K as Economy AAnytime plus $25 taxes.
There is nonstop flight on Virgin America for $188.

What would you do - spend miles or money?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: 2015 kettle

I'd buy it. $$$
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ellylex
I have about 500K miles between different accounts.

I need a one-way ticket to Mexico, but on the day I need to travel there is no saver award for the time that I need.

The flight is available via Dallas or Phoenix (1 hr layover) for 27.5K as Economy AAnytime plus $25 taxes.
There is nonstop flight on Virgin America for $188.

What would you do - spend miles or money?
IMO, VX is a no brainer, unless you have scads of miles and are looking for ways to dump them.

AA is happy to sell you 27,500 miles for a total of ~$817.00 all in. 20% discount through November 3. Such a deal!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Absolutely buy the VX ticket.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Buy the ticket.

Really a no brainer unless you have millions of miles in your AA account.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Thank You, guys, for such a quick response! )))
I had a feeling that You would say - purchase a ticket with money, since the value of miles is higher.

PS I was recently trying to use the miles for flights from DME to LAX, and it turned out not so easy, since the connections are not that great - via Germany on Airberlin OR Madrid on Iberia with long layovers.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
Buy the ticket!!!! That would be 0.6 cents per mile - very poor value!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

I also learned today that for AAnytime award - you can choose seats upfront with more legroom (forgot how AA calls them).

I was speaking with the agent and she tells me the bad news that AA charges $25 for the first bag to Cancun. I thought they don't charge for bags on international flights. I happily announced that I have Citi AA card, so I don't have to pay that fee. Her reply was - you still have to pay. There is no fee only on domestic routes, Puerto Rico and some other islands. (((
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I was speaking with the agent and she tells me the bad news that AA charges $25 for the first bag to Cancun. I thought they don't charge for bags on international flights. I happily announced that I have Citi AA card, so I don't have to pay that fee. Her reply was - you still have to pay. There is no fee only on domestic routes, Puerto Rico and some other islands. (((
That's correct, effective April 8, 2014.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
[QUOTE=ellylex;25560966]I have about 500K miles between different accounts.[\QUOTE]
Care to elaborate on the accounts? Are these AA, or different airline accounts. If AA, why not consolidate them?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:13 am
Original Poster

These AA accounts are not literally in my name, but family members.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:46 am

I also learned today that for AAnytime award - you can choose seats upfront with more legroom (forgot how AA calls them).

Regardless of status?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
According to the current checked baggage page on aa.com, the first *domestic* checked bag is free for Citi/AAdvantage cardmembers. There's a convenient hole for the leisure destinations of Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central America.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnAx
Regardless of status?
I was asking the agent about my situation - having no status with airline and Citi AA.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:19 pm

Mileage is more or less a currency, when looking an awards keep in mind those miles are not free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.