Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TEDisgone
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

At Chicago O’Hare (ORD), American Airlines operates out of Terminal 3

AA Ticket counters Open daily: 3:30am to 10:00pm
Flagship Check-in: Yes
Five Star Service: Yes
Curbside check-in: International only

Check-in times
In most locations, you must be checked in:
At least 45 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights within the United States
At least 60 minutes before scheduled departure, for flights to or from airports outside of the United States

Peculiarities:
ORD can be affected by winter storms or very heavy air traffic; ground holds even at incoming flights' departures airports, are not uncommon at these times. Knock-on effects during lengthy IROPS can manifest themselves systemwide.

NOTE: AA has 66 gates at Terminal 3, and has added five more at Concourse. Alaska, Iberia, and Japan Airlines all depart AA T-3. Alaska has moved to Terminal 2. All international arrivals are at Terminal 5, many international departures as well. AB, BA, CX, EY, QR, RJ depart T-5.

International arrivals from Canada airports without USCBP pre-clearance are sometimes listed as arriving at "IAB" - International Arrivals Building. These aircraft's passengers will not arrive at T-3 as domestic passengers; by Federal law, they must be cleared by USCBP, and that facility is at T-5.

There is no airside connection T-3 <--> T-5; one must go landside and use the free "ATS" airport train. Flyers connecting to BA departing T-5 may use the airside shuttle bus departing near gates G17 and K20. Every half hour 11 am - 9 pm. Sign with orange dot. TTB SERVICE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED - TTB service takes travelers from the domestic terminals (1, 2, & 3) to Terminal 5 without having to exit security or be rescreened in Terminal 5 at the TSA​ checkpoint. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] Airside connection has been restored March 1, 2023 - SEE BELOW

Operating terminals and gates
Terminal 1 is used by All Nippon Airlines (Departures), Ethiopian (Departures), Lufthansa (Departures), and United.

Terminal 2 is used by Air Canada, Alaska, Delta, and previously US Airways, jetBlue, along with many United Express flights.

Terminal 3 is used by Alaska Airlines, American Airlines and for departures only by Iberia and Japan Airlines (exception: arriving international flights that have been USCBP cleared, e.g. originating in Canada or DUB, arrive at Terminal 3 as domestic flights). Other airlines flying domestically and not mentioned above are also handled in Terminal 3.

Concourse G is used mostly for American Eagle flights
Concourse H and K are used for mainline flights
Concourse K gates 12-20 are typically used for international flights
Concourse L is used mostly for American Eagle flights (as well as non-oneworld carriers)

Terminal 5 is now both an international and domestic terminal. Among the international flights, the following oneworld carriers depart and arrive here: British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Etihad Airways, Finnair, Qatar Airways, and Royal Jordanian; arriving international American Airlines, Iberia and Japan Airlines flights all arrive here as well. In fact, all arriving international passengers from places without pre-clearance will arrive at Terminal 5.

Domestic carriers now using Terminal 5 are: Delta and Delta Shuttle, Frontier, Southwest, and Sun Country.

Getting from terminal to terminal
Landside transfers are normally done by using the Airport Transit System train, which also connects to the airport car parks. The ATS is currently out of service with substitute buses operating at present. April 18, 2022: ATS service has been fully restored and is operating 24/7 daily.

Terminals are connected by frequent landside buses, and AA T3 - International T5 are connected by an airside Terminal Transit Bus (TTB). If you have a boarding pass for your connection (or a printed itinerary of flight confirmation), you can use this bus, boarding at G17 or K20 and arriving airside at T5 Gate M1. The TTB runs 7 days a week, 1100 / 11 am to 2100 / 9 pm while the ATS is shut down, but seasonally and with shorter hours when it is. At other times you must exit landside and use the landside bus.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight you will arrive at Terminal 5. If you have a connecting domestic flight from T1-2-3. You must use the landside bus to T3 after you process Immigration and exit Customs. You will be required to pass through security at T3. Landside busses are frequent.
May 1, 2022: Shuttle buses ended.

Airside:
walking corridors connect Terminals 1, 2 and 3 between terminals. (ATS landslide train must be used to connect to or from Terminal 5 outside of shuttle bus operating times.)

For those holding boarding passes on same day flights out of Terminal 5 (International Terminal), a shuttle bus will operate from T-3 (From Gates G17 and K20) to T-5 (Gate M13) between 11:30 am and 9:30 pm. [Still suspended as of 4/30/2022] March 1, 2023: Service restored. Connecting Traveler Information

Walking between terminals
Walking airside between terminals airside is possible (other than Terminal 5). There are no shortcuts and it can take significant time.

Arrival at the airport:
Within the U.S. as well as flights to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, check in:
At least 30 minutes prior to departure (if not checking bags)
At least 45 minutes prior to departure when checking bags

For flights to international destinations check in:
At least two hours prior to departure to complete all necessary international requirements

Minimum time for checking in and arriving at the gate
To better ensure an on-time departure, our goal is to close the jetbridge door 10 minutes before departure time. This allows all customers to board and stow their belongings. (AA may release your seat if you show up at your gates less than 15 minutes prior to scheduled departure.)

To retain your pre-reserved seat on a confirmed flight, make sure to follow the minimum check in and gate arrival times.*

Time to baggage delivery:
minimum 20 minutes

Security at ORD
May 2016: security queues have been quite lengthy at times, requiring up to an hour to pass through security, even at PreCheck queues. Options include:

If you have Flagship Check-In privileges, they will place you at the head of the security queue next to that check-in area.

You may choose to process security at Terminal 2 and walk airside to the AA gates (UA is only slightly better than AA). If you have CLEAR, you might want to consider clearing security here.

The mid-terminal Pre-Check line tends to be better than the one at priority security.

Note: coming out from International Terminal Arrivals immigration and customs, you are landside and may find yourself with two options: leave the building land side, or take the escalators or lifts to the ATS train platform to proceed to the other terminals or remote parking lot. To access the other terminals, you will have to process through TSA security.

What is the domestic to domestic or to international Minimum Connection Time (MCT)?
The minimum connect time at ORD, domestic to domestic or international, is 0:40 minutes. Domestic to international is easy if your international flight departs the AA terminal, but domestic to International terminal is comfortably done in 2:00 (not the official MCT, 1:15), because of the lack of connectedness between terminals. International arrival at Terminal 5 with flight departing Terminal 3, Global Entry is likely to allow 2:00 or even less, but non-U.S. or Canadian passport holders with checked baggage might use 3:00 as a better guideline.

If I am making an international to international connection, what is the process?
There is no international transit process in nearly all airports in the USA (MIA has a baggage exception for international to international). Arriving internationally, unless you have been pre-cleared, you must proceed through U. S. immigration (there are kiosks and a fast channel for Global Entry approved passengers), recover your baggage from the baggage carousel and proceed through U. S. Customs. There is a "green line" shortcut for passengers traveling only with carry-on baggage (no checked luggage) which is called "1 Stop" and there are Global Entry kiosks and there have fairly recently been dedicated Global Entry customs lines added, which ORD lacked for a very long time. Global Entry kiosks are located both in the central part of the main immigration hall area, as well as in the hall next to the 1-Stop exit.

Upon exiting Customs there is a bag drop facility; drop your checked baggage, exit to the landside arrivals area. Proceed to the the AA terminal on the ATS train, to counters or kiosks to get boarding passes for your ongoing travel, then proceed through TSA security to airside.

Print Wikipost

AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Immigration at ORD is usually quite quick but can get seriously backed up if a number of flights arrive in a bunch (usually due to early/late arrivals). This happened to us last week and the queue was pretty impressive. Global Entry (GE) is a US program for trusted travellers and it allowed us to bypass the lines. It is available for some foreign passport holders, such as German, by agreement but not for UK at present. There are also electronic kiosks which are usually quite fast. If you hold a non-US passport eligible for ESTA then after you have entered once you can use the kiosks.

The same flight bunching is also likely to slow baggage delivery. Our flight was spread over about half an hour after the initial delay of 10 minutes or so.

We were out of customs after about 50 minutes from leaving the aircraft but I have been out in 20 minutes in the past. Re-checking is very fast and the transfer to T3 takes about 10 minutes. After that it will depend on security.

So, as mentioned above, 1:45 could be tight but should work. You would have to be very lucky for 0:45 to work! AA are good about rebooking if you miss the connection.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
OP doesn't mention a travel date but this Sunday AA has three more ORD-LAS flights departing after his noonish flight.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - With your answers:

1. You will not need to recheck bags. Your bags will be checked through at LHR to LAS. You will simply reclaim them at Customs at ORD, walk them through Customs and then drop them off. No need to recheck (which might occur if on two tickets).

2. If you misconnect, AA will rebook you onto the next available flight. A nuisance, but not insurmountable.

If given a choice, I would not book this connection as a non-USN with checked luggage. I would prefer the certainty of positive space on the next flight. Nonetheless, that is a personal choice.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by Often1
OP - With your answers:

1. You will not need to recheck bags. Your bags will be checked through at LHR to LAS. You will simply reclaim them at Customs at ORD, walk them through Customs and then drop them off. No need to recheck (which might occur if on two tickets).

2. If you misconnect, AA will rebook you onto the next available flight. A nuisance, but not insurmountable.

If given a choice, I would not book this connection as a non-USN with checked luggage. I would prefer the certainty of positive space on the next flight. Nonetheless, that is a personal choice.
semantics, perhaps, but I consider that a "re-check" of bags.

you have to get your checked bags from the carousel.

you clear US Customs

you drop off your bags (re-check them) at the AA counter, just outside the Customs area.

you are correct that you do not have to take them to the normal check-in counter, so it it faster because they should already be tagged to final destination.

If you should miss your connection, the AA agent will put you and your bags on the next available flight.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by jasons

We are Flying into O'Hare T5 and flying out again from T3, on a Sunday, landing at 10.25am and have our flight to Vegas departing at 12.15pm

I have 1hour 45 minutes to do it.
In Nov, 2013, I had an O'Hare international-domestic connection with 1 hour 40 minutes. I flew in from Düsseldorf and out to Los Angeles.

I am a US Citizen with Global Entry. Even so, I decided 1:40 was too tight for me and I booked a later LAX flight.

On the day of travel, I got through CBP fairly fast with my Global Entry, then went to T3. I looked at the departure board, and my original flight was "now boarding". To make that flight, I would have had to sprint.

As it was, I leisurely made my way to a nice cafe, had a snack, then went on to my departure gate for the flight 2 hours later. No worries, no stress.

If I were not a US citizen or did not have Global Entry, I would absolutely not book a flight with a 1:45 connection. Right now I have a German visitor staying with me here in Los Angeles. He was in CBP at JFK for over 2 hours last week. The prior year, he went through CBP at ORD in about 2 minutes. The year before that, CBP at ORD was over 2 hours.

You never know.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Hi all,
some advice needed if possible!

We are Flying into O'Hare T5 and flying out again from T3, on a Sunday, landing at 10.25am and have our flight to Vegas departing at 12.15pm
J
I haven't done it for a while, but I used to often do that early flight from LHR-ORD and my recollection is that it isn't usually too busy at that time. On the other hand, I haven't done it on a UK Passport, but on a US passport (and usually flying in Business class, so early off the plane) I have usually found myself in the lounge waiting for the domestic flight in about 45 minutes from landing.

I don't know if they have the ESTA kiosks at ORD - but if they do then those should speed you through comfortably.

Its probably true that things could go wrong, but I would predict that you've a 90% chance of getting to your gate just as your boarding begins
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I don't know if they have the ESTA kiosks at ORD - but if they do then those should speed you through comfortably
ORD was one of the first places they experimented with the kiosks but you can't use them with ESTA until you have been admitted manually once. It isn't clear whether the OP has.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 1:24 am

I am trying to book a flight using my Aeroplan points (please see flight detail at bottom of post). The flight is from Tokyo Narita to Toronto with 1 stop to change plane in Chicago O Hare. The time to connect in Chicago is only 1 hour and 40 minutes. Is that enough time? Do I need to clear US customs at Chicago or do they have preclearance US customs at Tokyo like here in Toronto?

Both segments are on United Airlines. If I miss my connecting flight, will United help me get on the next available flight without extra cost? Do flights booked with Aeroplan points have the same right as the regular paid flights? Thanks so much.

United Airlines
Departs : Sun. 17:55
Tokyo Narita (NRT)

Arrives :
Sun. 15:30
Chicago O Hare (ORD)

Change plane in Chicago O Hare
Time to connect : 1h 40 min

United Airlines
Departs : Sun. 17:10
Chicago O Hare (ORD)

Arrives : Sun.19:53
Toronto Pearson (YYZ)
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by alert
I am trying to book a flight using my Aeroplan points (please see flight detail at bottom of post). The flight is from Tokyo Narita to Toronto with 1 stop to change plane in Chicago O Hare. The time to connect in Chicago is only 1 hour and 40 minutes. Is that enough time? Do I need to clear US customs at Chicago or do they have preclearance US customs at Tokyo like here in Toronto?

Both segments are on United Airlines. If I miss my connecting flight, will United help me get on the next available flight without extra cost? Do flights booked with Aeroplan points have the same right as the regular paid flights? Thanks so much.

United Airlines
Departs : Sun. 17:55
Tokyo Narita (NRT)

Arrives :
Sun. 15:30
Chicago O Hare (ORD)

Change plane in Chicago O Hare
Time to connect : 1h 40 min

United Airlines
Departs : Sun. 17:10
Chicago O Hare (ORD)

Arrives : Sun.19:53
Toronto Pearson (YYZ)
HND does not have preclearance facilities, so you will have to clear customs and immigration at ORD. 1h40m will be a bit tight, but should be sufficient provided your plane arrives on time.

The good news is that even if your flight does depart a bit late, tailwinds should allow you to make up for some of that time. If you've only got carry-on luggage, consider using the CBP One-Stop program, where you can clear immigration and customs in one go. Line at 3:30 PM last Sunday when I arrived from NRT was only about 10 people deep.

As long as your onward flight to YYZ is on the same ticket as your HND-ORD segment, UA will rebook you if you miss your flight due to immigration delays.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:48 pm

Hi all,

Apologies for not responding sooner....

So, it's been playing on my mind somewhat as both my wife and daughter have been over thinking this...

I spoke to AA, who then referred me to US and after raising my concerns regarding the time available to change terminals/immigration etc weren't particularly helpful and basically stated that there is enough time to do it- they didn't seem bothered if the incoming flight was delayed or if immigration took a while,to do either.

I asked if it was possible to change from a 12.10pm flight to the 2pm flight and was told that I would have to go through whoever issued the tickets (Expedia in this case). I also asked what would happen if I missed the flight and whether we would be put on the next flight. He wouldn't guarantee it and said we would probably have to buy new flights..

So, on to Expedia ....

They were also adamant that 1 hour 45 minutes is sufficient to change and after checking said the minimum was 1.20..

Again I asked what happens if we miss the connection and he wouldn't say that we would get books on the next flight and we would probably have to claim on our travel insurance.

So,for peace of mind I asked what the cost would be to move to the 2pm flight, cost will be £550!

So, my wife's pushing me to pay it for the peace of mind, knowing that we won't be panicking as soon as we are delayed for 5 minutes at LHR.

I would add I am BA Silver so should get priority baggage, and although this will be our 2nd trip on our current ESTA, our daughter will be on her first...

J

Also forgot,to,mention it's the 24th may departure..

J

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 6, 2015 at 7:50 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Hi all,
some advice needed if possible!
We are Flying into O'Hare T5 and flying out again from T3, on a Sunday, landing at 10.25am and have our flight to Vegas departing at 12.15pm. I have 1hour 45 minutes to do it. Will need to recheck luggage in T5 then transit to T3 go through security to the gate. Plus we need to go through immigration? A colleague of mine was in the queue for over 2 hours last week when he landed in Washington. Some have suggested it will be tight time wise , anyone done it before? When I rang AA last night that were adamant it would,only take 45 minutes so plenty of time.... Thanks,

J
Since you carry a UK Passport, it may take longer than 45 minutes; however, AA will take care of you when you recheck your bag and require any no-cost stand-bye on the next available flight if you are held up at Customs. There are AA agents after passing inspection where you recheck your bag before going to the next terminal via a monorail. Worry not if you make it or don't.

I've gone through ORD Customs so many times through the US Line. Never an issue either way.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT
If you can make do with hand baggage only, you may be able to save time using the One-Stop CBP line, where you can clear immigration and customs in one go.

Also, as Spock Seat mentioned, AA will accommodate you on a later flight if your incoming is late or your wait is horrendously long -- you won't have to pay a change fee. There is a good chance that oneworld Global Support may meet you at your plane if delayed to escort you and issue priority security passes. 12-3 PM is the busiest rush at T5, so hopefully by arriving at the front end of that window you'll beat most of the crowds.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
American Airlines monitors their connecting customers with short connections.

When you arrive and get off the flight look for AA Staff with orange envelopes with you name on it. They have your next boarding pass and the orange envelope puts you into an express line at immigration for passengers with tight connection times.

http://economyclassandbeyond.boardin...4/09/photo.jpg

Outside of customs there is a escalator up to the train that will take you to the next stop Terminal 3
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:58 pm

Hi all,

Apologies for not responding sooner....

So, it's been playing on my mind somewhat as both my wife and daughter have been over thinking this...

I spoke to AA, who then referred me to US and after raising my concerns regarding the time available to change terminals/immigration etc weren't particularly helpful and basically stated that there is enough time to do it- they didn't seem bothered if the incoming flight was delayed or if immigration took a while,to do either.

I asked if it was possible to change from a 12.10pm flight to the 2pm flight and was told that I would have to go through whoever issued the tickets (Expedia in this case). I also asked what would happen if I missed the flight and whether we would be put on the next flight. He wouldn't guarantee it and said we would probably have to buy new flights..

So, on to Expedia ....

They were also adamant that 1 hour 45 minutes is sufficient to change and after checking said the minimum was 1.20..

Again I asked what happens if we miss the connection and he wouldn't say that we would get books on the next flight and we would probably have to claim on our travel insurance.

So,for peace of mind I asked what the cost would be to move to the 2pm flight, cost will be £550!

So, my wife's pushing me to pay it for the peace of mind, knowing that we won't be panicking as soon as we are delayed for 5 minutes at LHR.

I would add I am BA Silver so should get priority baggage, and although this will be our 2nd trip on our current ESTA, our daughter will be on her first...

J
The answers you are getting are the best that agents can legally give you. They don't use judgement or personal knowledge. Your connecting time is greater than the published MCT (Minimum Connecting Time). So it is officially OK, and that's all they can be expected to say. Similarly, they cannot promise you that you will be put on the next flight.

This is where Flyertalk is helpful. We can tell you that (a) even if you have more than the MCT, it's not a good idea; on the other hand, (b) since you have bought the ticket, don't worry about it---they WILL put you on another flight if needed. Do not pay the £550, and don't worry too much,; look for help upon arrival, as advised above, and don't panic. But don't book such flights again.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:21 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Hi

I have an upcoming trip this weekend with the following schedule, I checked the ORD connection time and looks like it meets the minimum but just want to check to see if I should try to standby/change to earlier flight from DCA-ORD on the outbound if I want to check out the lounge at ORD for shower?

For the inbound, once I land at ORD I have to clear custom, claim bag, recheck bag, then exit security at T5 and take train to T3 and re-enter security, correct? Is all of that possible in 90 minutes or should I avoid checking bag to save time? I have Nexus/GE and will be in the front cabin.

AA4495 BUF 6:20am > DCA 7:40am
AA324 DCA 3:15pm > ORD 4:29pm
AA187 ORD 5:20pm > PEK 8:10pm+1

AA186 PEK 10:10am > ORD 10:00am
AA324 ORD 11:35am > DCA 2:25pm
AA4502 DCA 3:40pm > BUF 4:58pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.