FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:58 pm
SeeBuyFly

Originally Posted by jasons
Hi all,

Apologies for not responding sooner....

So, it's been playing on my mind somewhat as both my wife and daughter have been over thinking this...

I spoke to AA, who then referred me to US and after raising my concerns regarding the time available to change terminals/immigration etc weren't particularly helpful and basically stated that there is enough time to do it- they didn't seem bothered if the incoming flight was delayed or if immigration took a while,to do either.

I asked if it was possible to change from a 12.10pm flight to the 2pm flight and was told that I would have to go through whoever issued the tickets (Expedia in this case). I also asked what would happen if I missed the flight and whether we would be put on the next flight. He wouldn't guarantee it and said we would probably have to buy new flights..

So, on to Expedia ....

They were also adamant that 1 hour 45 minutes is sufficient to change and after checking said the minimum was 1.20..

Again I asked what happens if we miss the connection and he wouldn't say that we would get books on the next flight and we would probably have to claim on our travel insurance.

So,for peace of mind I asked what the cost would be to move to the 2pm flight, cost will be £550!

So, my wife's pushing me to pay it for the peace of mind, knowing that we won't be panicking as soon as we are delayed for 5 minutes at LHR.

I would add I am BA Silver so should get priority baggage, and although this will be our 2nd trip on our current ESTA, our daughter will be on her first...

J
The answers you are getting are the best that agents can legally give you. They don't use judgement or personal knowledge. Your connecting time is greater than the published MCT (Minimum Connecting Time). So it is officially OK, and that's all they can be expected to say. Similarly, they cannot promise you that you will be put on the next flight.

This is where Flyertalk is helpful. We can tell you that (a) even if you have more than the MCT, it's not a good idea; on the other hand, (b) since you have bought the ticket, don't worry about it---they WILL put you on another flight if needed. Do not pay the £550, and don't worry too much,; look for help upon arrival, as advised above, and don't panic. But don't book such flights again.