Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EXP AAgent helped an idiot (me) and saved the day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K

I get it - I am a moron.

I was booking segments for our around the world trip for next May and very quickly booked two J class award seats between BNE and SIN at AA.com. It was fast, easy and was pleased that I could book a partner (QF) flight so easily and did not need to endlessly troll all of the other booking tools to get the flights I wanted.

When I was reviewing all of the flights I had booked (because I already have a binder set up for the trip), I realized I made a mistake: while my husband legally changed his last name to mine, I had not updated my profile in AA.com to reflect the change. So, when I looked at the QF reservation, there it was - his old last name. I figured, no biggie, we'll just cancel the reservations and rebook - except, there was no more J award space on the nonstop - nor on a convenient connection on QF.

Hat in hand, I called the EXP desk and the AAgent took a look at the record, confirmed that there wasn't any other award availability and then, without prompting, offered to send a message to QF and get the name changed. I was hopeful that this would work and, a week later, all is approved and ticket is reissued. Thanks AA - I know this isn't a life changing issue (like the great lobster mac and cheese debate taking place in some other threads) - but it was this helpful act (among others) that keep me with AA.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Yesterday an EXP agent (on the US side) proactively monitored my late arriving DTW/CLT flight and called the GA at my connecting CLT/MIA flight to tell him that I would not get to the gate until around T-5 and not to give away my seat (made it by T-10 from E to C with lots of huffing and puffing). When I got to the gate the GA said "oh XXXXX you called at the EXP desk had been monitoring your connection and called to say don't give your seat away to someone on the UPG list."
Old Jun 27, 2015, 4:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
(Moderator's dilemma: Hmm, should I delete? Calling a member an idiot and a moron is not acceptable under the FT Rules. http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules....sivedisruptive. )

We all have made mistakes.

Sometimes we can fix them with friendly, sapient advice on FT.

Sometimes, we can fix them with a friendly agent.

Probably, traveling with a marriage certificate could have rectified the oversight.

Great reminder the name change thing may have some loose ends yet: Known Traveler Number? Licenses?

Thanks for sharing, and safe, enjoyable travel. And as this must be fairly recent, congratulations to you both.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:05 pm

Being friendly to staffers and all sorts of company agents can lead to miracles.
Their jobs are super stressful, they are under constant pressure, are yelled at by random people each day, blamed for stuff which they don't have any influence on.

Be a friendly guy and show some empathy and they will often work in your favour

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.