Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LY cancels award flight, changes to undesirable flight - what are the options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2015, 5:14 am
Original Poster

LY canceled its 7/20 4 PM flight TLV-JFK, and moved me to an earlier flight (10.40 AM). That time doesn't work for us.
The tickets were an AA award, and AA doesn't even work with LY any more.

I don't see any other OW flights departing in the afternoon, so I don't know if there is anything I can do about that.

Although it's not optimal, I'd rather be moved to 12.45 AM flight that day or the following day.
Who do I call? Do I call AA who issued the award? I've called them before about this award and they said they couldn't change it since they no longer have a relationship with El AL.
Or do I cal El Al?

what a hassle....
Old Jun 20, 2015, 5:40 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
LY cancels flight - what are the options?

Call El AL first to see if they can move you to the desired flights. Otherwise you are left with options provided by AA or a refund/reinstatement of miles and taxes.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
LY cancels flight - what are the options?

<redacted>.

... call AA after you've figured out what oneworld flights you'd like. Youre right there are no other afternoon flights. But there are plenty of flights on Oneworld: TLV-PHL-LGA on US Airways, several TLV-LHR-JFK on BA/AA, TLV-TXL-JFK on Airberlin, TLV-MAD-JFK on Iberia, and TLV-HEL-JFK on Finnair. (AA still codeshares on some El Al flights to Europe).

But I don't think they're going to move you to another airlines nonstop.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 25, 2017 at 10:20 pm Reason: Redacted incorrect information
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
...call AA after you've figured out what oneworld flights you'd like. Youre right there are no other afternoon flights. But there are plenty of flights on Oneworld: TLV-PHL-LGA on US Airways, several TLV-LHR-JFK on BA/AA, TLV-TXL-JFK on Airberlin, TLV-MAD-JFK on Iberia, and TLV-HEL-JFK on Finnair. (AA still codeshares on some El Al flights to Europe).

But I don't think they're going to move you to another airlines nonstop.
See, you didn't say 'call the airline' - you provided OP with some useful advice <redacted>.

This site depends on users for its existence. Users sometimes post questions because some of the old hands here easily know more than new-hire airline employees, and don't make you wait on hold for half an hour to demonstrate their lack of knowledge. And armed with FT wisdom, the customer is in a better position to get past a first-level wrong answer to the correct one.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 25, 2017 at 10:22 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content and reply to same
Old Jun 20, 2015, 11:25 am
Original Poster

thank you for your help.
El Al said call AA, since it's their ticket.
AA had no problem moving me to the 12.45 AM flight.

It sucks that El Al can just cancel a flight 1 month out. Landing at 5.45 AM, and I'm going to work pretty much right after...not what I had in mind.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

However note that the OP solved the problem by simply calling the airline and not using any of my advice.
not so fast...
so on Sat, I received the cancellation email, called AA, and asked for a flight change, and was told everything was fine.
On Monday, I get an email with 2 of the 4 seats ticketed and "call immediately" for the other two (different AAdvantage accts).
I call, and I am told there is a problem with the other 2, they are trying to get El Al to confirm it...was told to call back in a few days.
Called back today (Friday), and was told the "liason is working on it"...what does that mean, I ask? Apparently, AA liason to ElAl sent them a message and is waiting for a reply. That valuable piece of information came to me after 1 hr on hold.
I've been advised to call back later...

any advice?

Last edited by stevento; Jun 26, 2015 at 3:43 pm
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:34 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Moving this to the AA board where it belongs.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Jun 26, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by stevento
thank you for your help.
El Al said call AA, since it's their ticket.
That's the industry convention for advanced schedule changes. By contrast day of departure cancellations are with the operating carrier (not the marketing code, not the ticketing carrier).
Old Jun 26, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I had a similar situation earlier this year, AA initially balked at my request to open U for US 796/797 (PHL-TLV-PHL) but I persisted and they went ahead.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
I had a similar situation earlier this year, AA initially balked at my request to open U for US 796/797 (PHL-TLV-PHL) but I persisted and they went ahead.
that's my plan C (TLV-PHL-LGA)

AA shows availability for that date for Business Anytime. Is AA under any obligation here, or can they just cancel the award, refund my miles, and tell me to go pound sand (of which there is plenty in Israel)?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by stevento
However note that the OP solved the problem by simply calling the airline and not using any of my advice.
not so fast...
so on Sat, I received the cancellation email, called AA, and asked for a flight change, and was told everything was fine.
On Monday, I get an email with 2 of the 4 seats ticketed and "call immediately" for the other two (different AAdvantage accts).
I call, and I am told there is a problem with the other 2, they are trying to get El Al to confirm it...was told to call back in a few days.
Called back today (Friday), and was told the "liason is working on it"...what does that mean, I ask? Apparently, AA liason to ElAl sent them a message and is waiting for a reply. That valuable piece of information came to me after 1 hr on hold.
I've been advised to call back later...

any advice?
The advice is to call back later. No one on here can do more than the liaison.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. LY has 72 hours to confirm or decline AA's request for space. There is clearly space on the flight or you would not be as far as you are. But, LY is under no obligation to open space to AA and may choose not to do so as yours may be one of few award tickets still floating. This is what the liaisons do for a living.

2. If the other two seats are confirmed, you are all set.

3. If LY won't open space for AA, you are stuck with whatever alternatives exist. You will always do better if you do the research. The best is TLV-PHL. Even if the LGA segment isn't open, let that be wait-listed. Left to my own devices, there is no way that I would take one of thos miserable short-hauls which are cancelled/delayed with abandon. But, there are other alternatives such as BA/AA TLV-LHR-JFK. For what it is worth, the close relationship, including JV, between AA & BA makes it much easier to open space.

4. AA's ultimate obligation is to work with you or offer a full refund without any penalty. If there is nothing, there is nothing.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

The advice is to call back later. No one on here can do more than the liaison.
I understand that part.
But my experience have told me that collective (and often individual) knowledge of FT is far greater than what the front line agent can provide...which is who I am dealing with.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
1. LY has 72 hours to confirm or decline AA's request for space. There is clearly space on the flight or you would not be as far as you are. But, LY is under no obligation to open space to AA and may choose not to do so as yours may be one of few award tickets still floating. This is what the liaisons do for a living.

2. If the other two seats are confirmed, you are all set.

3. If LY won't open space for AA, you are stuck with whatever alternatives exist. You will always do better if you do the research. The best is TLV-PHL. Even if the LGA segment isn't open, let that be wait-listed. Left to my own devices, there is no way that I would take one of thos miserable short-hauls which are cancelled/delayed with abandon. But, there are other alternatives such as BA/AA TLV-LHR-JFK. For what it is worth, the close relationship, including JV, between AA & BA makes it much easier to open space.

4. AA's ultimate obligation is to work with you or offer a full refund without any penalty. If there is nothing, there is nothing.
thank you so much for your post.

It has been more than 72 hrs since AA's request. According to AA, LY has not responded.

Expertflyer and LY search engine shows no award space on that flight ( I looked to see if maybe I can use my MRs to transfer to LY), or on any other LY flight to JFK, EWR, or BOS.

the AAdvantage CSR told me that even TLV-PHL on US Air is iffy because AA and US Air haven't fully merged yet, so AA would still have to use its liason to US Air.

I am finding myself in a very bad situation...not that it's AA's problem, but this is the inbound leg of a trip with 8 people flying back on that date, so switching dates is not very easy....
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would give this to Monday AM under the theory that time differences and Sabbath may have conspired against you. But, use the time to plan out other OW itineraries. Look at LY/BA TLV-EUROPE connecting to BA/AA EUROPE-EAST COAST. You can shoot for NYC, but look at BOS, PHL & IAD as well. It may be that the 2 have to fly sepatately.

Also, just because AA has to go through its liaison to US, doesn't mean that it won't work. So, don't give up on TLV-PHL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.