Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LY cancels award flight, changes to undesirable flight - what are the options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LY cancels award flight, changes to undesirable flight - what are the options?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:29 am
Original Poster

How exactly do liaisons work?

Do they reach out to partner airlines and ask for space to be opened up?
Does the partner airline usually oblige this request?

AA's terms say "When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats." How does that work if AA doesn't have its own metal flights?

As far as the options...the options stink. There is an IB flight that morning with 3 seats, which is shocking since this is a flight I have my parents and my in-laws on (4 seats), and there are still 3 available. It's not a great option since we were planning to spend the entire day in Israel..but it's an option.

TLV-PHL-LGA would be the best option by far. Worst case scenario, PHL-LGA is canceled and we'll take car service home....we're north of the city, so that's a $300+ ride, but it's still better than missing another day of work.
If AA shows availability on Anytime level - that would fall under "next flight with available seats" rule, wouldn't it?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by stevento
How exactly do liaisons work?

Do they reach out to partner airlines and ask for space to be opened up?
Does the partner airline usually oblige this request?

AA's terms say "When cancellations and major delays are experienced, you will be rerouted on our next flight with available seats." How does that work if AA doesn't have its own metal flights?

As far as the options...the options stink. There is an IB flight that morning with 3 seats, which is shocking since this is a flight I have my parents and my in-laws on (4 seats), and there are still 3 available. It's not a great option since we were planning to spend the entire day in Israel..but it's an option.

TLV-PHL-LGA would be the best option by far. Worst case scenario, PHL-LGA is canceled and we'll take car service home....we're north of the city, so that's a $300+ ride, but it's still better than missing another day of work.
If AA shows availability on Anytime level - that would fall under "next flight with available seats" rule, wouldn't it?
Award liaisons work to resolve discrepancies between the ticketing and operating carrier.

You do realize the US 332 only has 20 Business class (formerly Envoy) seats? Furthermore only 18 are offered for sale on this route as two are reserved for pilot crew rest (in addition to their dedicated bunks). If you are expecting AA to set aside four seats at low award level I can understand why you are having so much difficulty. It's also likely they don't even have four seats for sale period on this flight during the peak summer time.

In my case the request was for a single seat, as an EXP back in February.

The early morning IB flight is brutal. Have you considered AB or AY? Another possibility is to work with the LY liaision and get space to one of the European gateways. AA of course doesn't release sAAver (U) space on Europe flights nowadays.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:49 am
Original Poster

I placed 4 TLV-PHL-LGA seats on hold at AAnytime level, for now, since there weren't many seats left. That should give me some leverage with AA, I suppose.

As far as expecting AA to release saver level seats - I wasn't expecting anyone to do anything...this award was booked back in September. I am just thinking that AA should follow its own rules and put me on the next available flight where there are seats available...which would be the PHL one.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:31 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I placed 4 TLV-PHL-LGA seats on hold at AAnytime level, for now, since there weren't many seats left. That should give me some leverage with AA, I suppose.
This could possibly backfire. AA would just "throw the book" at you and cancel/refund your reservation for making duplicate/fictitious bookings. You should just let AA come back with you with options instead of holding AAnytime space if you have no intention of using an AAnytime award.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:36 am
Suspended

As far as expecting AA to release saver level seats - I wasn't expecting anyone to do anything...this award was booked back in September. I am just thinking that AA should follow its own rules and put me on the next available flight where there are seats available...which would be the PHL one.
Originally Posted by seawolf
This could possibly backfire. AA would just "throw the book" at you and cancel/refund your reservation for making duplicate/fictitious bookings.
No, there's absolutely no risk/issue there.

But it certainly gives no "leverage with AA" holding them, either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.