Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charging Platinum for exit row [on US]?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 5:56 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Charging Platinum for exit row [on US]?

Is this something new? I booked a trip on US, two segments are on Eagle CRJ200 (ugh, I know), and going to aa.com to select seats, they want $34 to sit in the exit row (yes I am signed in).

WAT? Or is this code-share hijinks?

I know everyone has to pay for US "preferred" seats (which aren't) but I've always been able to pick an exit row for nothing.
Old May 14, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
You should not be charged at all. If I were you, I'll go on US to book the flight. For some reason, US flights sold on their site sometimes come out cheaper than on AA. Also, if you're platinum and book a flight on a plane with first, booking on US may be able to upgrade you. If you book that flight on AA, you will become ineligible for the upgrade.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Until the merger is complete, even as an EXP, you have to pay for the "best" seats in coach on USAir operated flights.

If available at the gate, I can get moved, but that is last minute.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
At the very least, go to the US site to pick the seats.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Thumper
Until the merger is complete, even as an EXP, you have to pay for the "best" seats in coach on USAir operated flights.
Not exactly. US has two sets of seats blocked -- Preferred seats, which are free to elites, and Choice seats, which cost money for everyone. Typically the Preferred seats are better than the Choice seats, though YMMV.

That being said, no elite should ever be charged for exit row seats, even if they are Choice seats:

"AAdvantage elite members will still get exit row seats free of charge."(from http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...oiceseats.html)
Old May 14, 2015, 3:00 pm

As dtremit said, the Choice seats cost extra for everyone (even EXP/and former US CP) and the Preferred seats are free for elites. The exit rows have always been Preferred from what I've seen (and I've booked many flights recently).
Old May 14, 2015, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by dtremit
That being said, no elite should ever be charged for exit row seats, even if they are Choice seats:

"AAdvantage elite members will still get exit row seats free of charge."(from http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...oiceseats.html)
This is on the US website. OP, did you book an AA ticket on a US codeshare - that's what I read as the problem. I'm guessing it's that same as not being able to upgrade codeshare flights in advance of check-in.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I've had the misfortune of flying on US CRJ200's twice a week almost every week this year. My first few flights on them I chose exit row seats and found no additional seat pitch whatsoever... I'm 6'3" and found it nearly impossible to open a laptop to get any work done or to reach under the seat in front to get something out of your bag. Also 8A/F don't have an armrest.

For what it's worth, my favourite seats are by far 1C and 1D. The lack of a seat in front is helpful, but even better is the fact you can get out of there as soon as possible...

To address OP's question directly: I've never seen Exit Rows coded as "Choice Seats" (which are the paid seats even for elites) so I'm not sure why you're seeing it that way... the only thing I can think of is codeshare issues.
Old May 14, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by asdf098
I've had the misfortune of flying on US CRJ200's twice a week almost every week this year. My first few flights on them I chose exit row seats and found no additional seat pitch whatsoever...
Unfortunately I believe that's a feature of the CR2 and not US specific. UA and AA are the same. The only benefit to the exit row is that the seat in front doesn't recline.
Old May 15, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: AS, AA, WN
Originally Posted by CPRich
This is on the US website. OP, did you book an AA ticket on a US codeshare - that's what I read as the problem. I'm guessing it's that same as not being able to upgrade codeshare flights in advance of check-in.
I've booked a number of AA tickets with codeshare US flights and have always been able to select exit rows for free.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: DL DM/360 2.8MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by asdf098
I've had the misfortune of flying on US CRJ200's twice a week almost every week this year. My first few flights on them I chose exit row seats and found no additional seat pitch whatsoever... I'm 6'3" and found it nearly impossible to open a laptop to get any work done or to reach under the seat in front to get something out of your bag. Also 8A/F don't have an armrest.

For what it's worth, my favourite seats are by far 1C and 1D. The lack of a seat in front is helpful, but even better is the fact you can get out of there as soon as possible...

To address OP's question directly: I've never seen Exit Rows coded as "Choice Seats" (which are the paid seats even for elites) so I'm not sure why you're seeing it that way... the only thing I can think of is codeshare issues.
Incorrect... There is an extra 1/8th of an inch of extra seat pitch in row 8, lol...
Old Jun 26, 2015, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by dtremit
Not exactly. US has two sets of seats blocked -- Preferred seats, which are free to elites, and Choice seats, which cost money for everyone. Typically the Preferred seats are better than the Choice seats, though YMMV.

So do people here expect that this will be the way it is on USAA going forward? Will Plats and EXPs have to pay for some "Choice" coach seats from now on? I buy a lot of last minute tickets, and this would be a serious problem for me if it is the new standard. What does your crystal ball have to say?

Thanks,
saunders111
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by saunders111
So do people here expect that this will be the way it is on USAA going forward? Will Plats and EXPs have to pay for some "Choice" coach seats from now on? I buy a lot of last minute tickets, and this would be a serious problem for me if it is the new standard. What does your crystal ball have to say?

Thanks,
saunders111
Seems unlikely, but it's total speculation I've pulled out of my bum. It seems as if AA could have already started charging for such seats if they wanted to, and they haven't. I've never understood why anyone would pay for "Choice" seats anyway, since there's no real advantage to sitting in them (other than proximity to the front door).
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by jhartvu
Seems unlikely, but it's total speculation I've pulled out of my bum. It seems as if AA could have already started charging for such seats if they wanted to, and they haven't. I've never understood why anyone would pay for "Choice" seats anyway, since there's no real advantage to sitting in them (other than proximity to the front door).
Well, if the choice is 32E or $49 for 8C, that's a tough decision that I don't really want to have to make as a an AA elite. I can pay $49 and make that choice on any major.

Thanks,
saunders111
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by saunders111

Thanks,
saunders111
As of October, with "One system. One code." AA policies will prevail.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-end-oct.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.