Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA announces LAX-SYD-LAX 77W AA73 / AA72 (as of 17 December 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA to Fly LAX / Los Angeles <--> SYD / Sydney as of 17 December 2015
AA0073 and AA0072 are operated with Boeing 77W / 777-323ER

Current thread here

Inaugural flights:

LAX-SYD: 17 Dec 2015 AA 73 Flight duration 15:05
Lv LAX 21:50 Dec 17 PST / 05:50 18 Dec GMT
Ar SYD 07:55 Dec 19 AEDT / 20:55 18 Dec GMT (same day)
SYD-LAX: 19 Dec 2015 AA 72 Flight duration 13:50
Lv SYD 12:00 Dec 19 AEDT / 01:00 19 Dec GMT
Ar LAX 06:50 Dec 19 PST / 14:50 19 Dec GMT
Inaugural flight AA73, operated by Boeing 777-323ER ("77W") N720AN:

2015-12-17 - AA73 - Los Angeles (LAX) STD 21:50 PST ATD 22:15 - Sydney (SYD) STA 07:55 AEDT ATA 07:30 AEDT

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA announces LAX-SYD-LAX 77W AA73 / AA72 (as of 17 December 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Sant
Could the same be true for Y? I've had a very pleasant experience with QF A380 Y but never flown AA 77W Y yet.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
10 across in a 77W's Main Cabin with 31" pitch, so unless you're an AA elite who gets Main Cabin Extra for free... probably not.
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Definitely not.
I'm not even going to ask about the comparison of the FAs in Y.

Originally Posted by cmd320
Assuming MCE is excluded from this comparison, I would say absolutely QF Y > AA Y. The 10 abreast on the A380 is going to be preferable to the 10 abreast on the 777 virtually 100% of the time. To be honest though, I wouldn't really want to be caught in Y on either of them flying transpac.
Unless you normally travel in J or F, why would you say that of QF's Y?

As for comparison to AA's MCE, shouldn't it be compared to QF's Premium Econ and not their Y?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:31 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Originally Posted by tom911
I flew the A380 in coach last year in the small cabin at the back of the upper deck and enjoyed the trip over, and I've also flown the AA 777-300 to LHR in the 9-across MCE section. They were both pleasant experiences but not looking forward to 10-across with AA and would probably lean towards QF in those cases.

My Qantas seat was in the very last row with an empty one next to me. It came with bin storage right next to the seat which was a plus.

Isn't that the PE seat? If so, I would understand why it was comfortable, but certainly no comparison to a standard Y seat.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Unless you normally travel in J or F, why would you say that of QF's Y?

As for comparison to AA's MCE, shouldn't it be compared to QF's Premium Econ and not their Y?
I just meant that in general I would not want to be in Y on a 15 hour flight. QF W destroys AA MCE. Not really comparable IMO.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
What was the additional press conference Kirby had in LA this afternoon about?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by gwade
Isn't that the PE seat? If so, I would understand why it was comfortable, but certainly no comparison to a standard Y seat.
That's a QF Y seat on the A380. The old design only had PE at the back of the upper deck, but now there are some economy seats up there too.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
YMMV, but I don't believe they care about the orientation of the domestic leg. Single SWUs have always been fine on routes like LAX-DFW-HKG, which includes the turn in direction, so if any Asia>USA>USA>Brazil itinerary is valid, I believe they all should be.
...good to know! ^
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by morrisunc
What was the additional press conference Kirby had in LA this afternoon about?
This. But not a presser, a mini-celebration for employees.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
This. But not a presser, a mini-celebration for employees.
Brett Snyder tweeted this. "pres Scott Kirby says he's looking forward to "kicking United's, Delta's, and Virgin Australia's butts" on the LAX-SYD route". By the time AA starts LAX-SYD, Virgin Australia will be almost completed with their refurbishment of their 77Ws to a 1-2-1 layout in J. In terms of premium hard product, Virgin Australia will be the main competitor on this route. This new route could help steal a few more disgruntled UA HVFs in LA.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by cmd320
The 10 abreast on the A380 is going to be preferable to the 10 abreast on the 777 virtually 100% of the time. To be honest though, I wouldn't really want to be caught in Y on either of them flying transpac.
I think it was the 77W that I flew on for DFW-HKG, sitting in MCE.

Certainly not the most pleasant experience I've ever had, for the 16+ hour flight (the pilot said 16 hours 16 minutes when we pushed back), but I've definitely had worse. Then I had another ~2 hour flight to SIN.
I was in a window and the middle was vacant, so Mr Aisle and I got to stretch out a bit and use the middle seat for our electronics, pillows, blankets, and such.

Comparatively, LAX-SYD would be a breeze.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Longboater
..."pres Scott Kirby says he's looking forward to "kicking ...butts" on the ... route"
Famous last words.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Maybe the resumption of SYD-SFO?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...20-2015-a.html
Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Having flown in both, absolutely not. AA MCE is a regular Y product with extra legroom. QF Premium Economy is an entirely separate class of service: it uses what is essentially a domestic first class seat with better recline, foot rests, and hard shell seat backs, higher quality food served on ceramic plates with metal cutlery, an extended beverage selection, and dedicated F/As.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
I think it was the 77W that I flew on for DFW-HKG, sitting in MCE.

<snip>

Comparatively, LAX-SYD would be a breeze.
AA's decision to outfit the 77Ws with 9-across MCE is humane. The "big and tall" who most benefit from MCE tend to be wider than the average bears, and shoulder room is in very short supply in every economy section.

Similarly, AA could have been a leader with the 787s by configuring MCE with a humane 8-across rather than the Y- 9-across seating. Another missed opportunity.

Last edited by FWAAA; Jun 10, 2015 at 2:36 pm
Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:24 pm

The closer and more integrated relationship also provides opportunities for future growth into trans-Pacific markets not currently served by either airline, such as New Zealand.

Is this just a tease or are they actually going to challenge NZ with AKL service somewhere down the road?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:31 pm

Definitely not.

Definitely not.

Funny, because AA has said they want to start MIA-Africa flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.