Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
~American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The pre-consolidation AA NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is here

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

WELCOME, US Airways and New AAdvantage members! A GUIDE.

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

American Airlines LOUNGEVDASHBOARD
Print Wikipost

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:20 pm

Hey guys, I booked a ticket from SFO-HND using AA miles, ticketed/confirmed now. I'm based in SAN and planned on just using some WN points to get up there to catch the flight (I really wanted to try the new F product on that route), but just realized I might've goofed: isn't it the same amount of miles to go from SAN-SFO and connect (not stopover) onto SFO-HND? If so, would AA let me just "add" a segment to this ticket, or will they need to refund/re-ticket and charge me a fee and yadayada?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by djtsukasa
Hey guys, I booked a ticket from SFO-HND using AA miles, ticketed/confirmed now. I'm based in SAN and planned on just using some WN points to get up there to catch the flight (I really wanted to try the new F product on that route), but just realized I might've goofed: isn't it the same amount of miles to go from SAN-SFO and connect (not stopover) onto SFO-HND? If so, would AA let me just "add" a segment to this ticket, or will they need to refund/re-ticket and charge me a fee and yadayada?
It would take the same number of miles.

I'm not sure if you could change the origin from SFO to SAN without causing a $150 redeposit fee.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
It would take the same number of miles.

I'm not sure if you could change the origin from SFO to SAN without causing a $150 redeposit fee.
oo boy. simple gaffe costing me $150... guess I have to evaluate how much I value 7000 WN miles now.

Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by JonNYC
There are, in fact, some connections allowed in Doha using QR that are only allowed using QR.

These are the only awards that are specific in that regard. All other awards go by published fares and and allowed 3rd region connections (which are pretty limited.) As well as some other rules.

You can see the allowed 3rd-zone connections (including the QR/DOH-specific ones) here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/541310...n/photostream/
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:11 pm

The USAirways website talking about MoveUp says that you can do a MoveUp if there are seats available -- do those seats have to be in your fair class or can they be anywhere on the plane? (ie, can you MoveUp if there are only First Class seats remaining?)
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold, Alamo Insiders, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Urbonso
The USAirways website talking about MoveUp says that you can do a MoveUp if there are seats available -- do those seats have to be in your fair class or can they be anywhere on the plane? (ie, can you MoveUp if there are only First Class seats remaining?)
I haven't done this since the merger, but pre-merger it was agent-dependent. I think the official policy is that there has to be a seat in the cabin you booked (or if you are in F, you have to be willing to go to coach if no F seats, and no refund). However, on many occasions, if F had multiple seats open and Y was full, they still did a move-up for me
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:42 am

I have a challenging upgrade question:

Originally booked a US-marketed/operated flight (pre-merger). There was a schedule change (post-merger) and the connection was invalid. Called US, re-booked me on an AA flight into Y class (I got an automatic UG on US for another flight next month when this happened).

Initially agent said I could not upgrade using miles or 500-mile certificates since US booked it as a codeshare AA flight. After some arguing saying it was supposed to be booked as AA flight, he did something that changed it to where I can now request an upgrade with 500-mile certificates but still would not let me UG with 5000 miles and wanted the 15k + $75.

My strange/challenging question is... it was originally a discount economy fare (Q or K I think). Now it is Y fare (shows up as Y on both US and AA site). Should I try another agent (or is it a computer thing) to see if they'll let me use 5000 miles to upgrade this flight versus the 15,000 + copay when it is not booked Y/B?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by TheFlyingMan
My strange/challenging question is... it was originally a discount economy fare (Q or K I think). Now it is Y fare (shows up as Y on both US and AA site). Should I try another agent (or is it a computer thing) to see if they'll let me use 5000 miles to upgrade this flight versus the 15,000 + copay when it is not booked Y/B?
Certainly you can call and ask - but simply showing up as "Y" online doesn't make it a true "Y" fare. Did you actually re-ticket? Did you receive a new itinerary in the mail? Y is both a fare bucket (full fare economy) and a cabin designator (coach/economy cabin) and this it is quite common for the cabin designator (Y/J/F) to show up online rather than the actual fare bucket.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I have a challenging upgrade question:

Originally booked a US-marketed/operated flight (pre-merger). There was a schedule change (post-merger) and the connection was invalid. Called US, re-booked me on an AA flight into Y class (I got an automatic UG on US for another flight next month when this happened).

Initially agent said I could not upgrade using miles or 500-mile certificates since US booked it as a codeshare AA flight. After some arguing saying it was supposed to be booked as AA flight, he did something that changed it to where I can now request an upgrade with 500-mile certificates but still would not let me UG with 5000 miles and wanted the 15k + $75.

Codeshares are not recommended by either airline for upgrading other than after you've checked in.

To make sure you’re eligible for elite upgrades, you should book flights that are marketed and operated by the same airline – either US Airways or American. If you’re booked on a codeshare flight, you’ll only be able to upgrade when you check in, and as always, upgrades are based on availability.
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-threads.html
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:09 am

I haven't done this since the merger, but pre-merger it was agent-dependent. I think the official policy is that there has to be a seat in the cabin you booked (or if you are in F, you have to be willing to go to coach if no F seats, and no refund). However, on many occasions, if F had multiple seats open and Y was full, they still did a move-up for me
Thanks! If they won't let me do a move-up, can I at least standby for those seats?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Urbonso
Thanks! If they won't let me do a move-up, can I at least standby for those seats?
Definitely. IME, if there are seats open on the plane, even if they are F (as long as you are elite), the agent will get you on. Just check-in with the GA once you arrive.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Certainly you can call and ask - but simply showing up as "Y" online doesn't make it a true "Y" fare. Did you actually re-ticket? Did you receive a new itinerary in the mail? Y is both a fare bucket (full fare economy) and a cabin designator (coach/economy cabin) and this it is quite common for the cabin designator (Y/J/F) to show up online rather than the actual fare bucket.
I did get a new itinerary with new ticket number by US originally, and was re-ticketed AGAIN yesterday for some reason, just by asking about the itinerary and asking them to make it a non-codeshare. Somehow, still listed on my US trip as codeshare, but when I pull up the AA record locator, it will allow me to apply for an upgrade and is treating it as a non-codeshare. My guess is they changed the AA record locator only.

In regards to fare bucket, when you pull up the itinerary on AA it says Cabin Class: "Economy" and Booking Code: "Y"

JDiver, yes, I know not to book codeshare that's why I asked them not to on the re-book!

Last edited by TheFlyingMan; Apr 26, 2015 at 11:45 am Reason: unable to upload image
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:30 pm

I have a question re: check-in.

Suppose I'm flying DCA-BOS-LHR, and DCA-BOS is in Y and BOS-LHR is in F.

Am I allowed to use the First Class check-in counter at DCA? I always assumed the answer was yes, but not sure if that's right.

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I have a question re: check-in.

Suppose I'm flying DCA-BOS-LHR, and DCA-BOS is in Y and BOS-LHR is in F.

Am I allowed to use the First Class check-in counter at DCA? I always assumed the answer was yes, but not sure if that's right.

Thanks!
Yes
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Yes
Thank you bdemaria!

Is there a specific AA rule that explains more about this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.