Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 20, 15, 6:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
~American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The pre-consolidation AA NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is here

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

WELCOME, US Airways and New AAdvantage members! A GUIDE.

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

American Airlines LOUNGEVDASHBOARD
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 20, 15, 9:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton, Marriott/SPG Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Arrow [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)

We'll go ahead and trial a Newbie Lounge for the Combined forum and see how it goes. Please see the Wiki for the rules of engagement here.

~Moderator

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 24, 15 at 4:52 am
Old Apr 20, 15, 9:04 am

Programs: TK*S +SPG platinum, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
New AA member with some questions.

As a "new" AA FFP member transfered from USair, I found myself with many new rules, and so much to read. But still have some questions which even AA in FRA was not able to answer.

1.) I have 5 accounts ( family ) with between 50xxx and 300.xxx ) miles inside, all coming from USair buy miles promos and some hundred from flights, when USair still was in *aliance. Our major problem is, that we almost only fly *aliance, exept CX, because between Germany and Thailand, that suites the best our needs. Now I find us with million of miles from ex BMI DC transfered to BA AVIOS and USair transfered to AA, and a also not worth anymore Lifemiles progr.
Some of the miles seem to expire in the beginning of June15
Which is the cheapest way to extend the expirering ( by 18 month ) ?
AA in FRA told me any move/change in the milage balance extend the rest by 18 month, is that correct ? So even I donate 500 miles, does this transaction extend the milage ? Or do I have to fly, or buy something ?

2.) I asked AA in Frankfurt, how much for an award from Europe ( DUS/FRA ) to Male or Dhaka Bangladesh, and was quoted 30 k in business, but he never found availability. The agent really was not so good informed ( promised me we could use BA / AY / AB and Ethihad ), but not CATHAY. I asked ETHIHAD does not belong to OW, but he said, since 01 JUNE 2011 them would belong to oneworld lol . I asked him to search for a seat exept with BA ( Iam not willing to pay them YQ ), and he insisted, that AA not charge YQ on awards. So I let him quote a oneway from DUS-LON-DEL and he learned, that AA also charges YQ ( aprox 250 Euro ) for that oneway. On all the other airlines he not found availability. I loged into my BA account and found availability on QUATAR for 22 or 23rd APR FRA-DOH-DAC, told him which flightno., but he refused he could not see any seat available on QR ( even searched until end of June !!! ). So is QR not bookable on AA ?
On the AA website i already learned, online I only can book AA/US//BA/IB/AB/AY , but not my favourites CX/QR/MH or may be ETHIHAD.
Is Europe - Indian Subc. only bookable direct ? or also with CX/MH via HKG/KUL ?
Does AA only charge YQ on BA ? or also on other airline partners ?
Any bookable routing (exept BA), for FRA/DUS - DAC ?
Are there some airlines not bookable under AA award milage ?
Are there other fees, if the tix is not bookable online ? I know the fee if booked less then 21 days in advance.
Iam the most interested in Europe -(east) Indian Sub. ( which seems to bee the best value ) and then buy a revenue tix for to get to Thailand from there. From my feeling the best is Dhaka or Calcutta or any east coast Indian city. Some sugestions here ?

3.) Anything else, I should know / read which makes my miles more valuable ?

thanks for any help
Bert
Old Apr 20, 15, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
1. Search for 'expire' in this forum.

2. Surcharges are levied on AA awards for all BA-operated flights. Lots of carriers for which AA miles may be redeemed are not searched by AA.com

3. Start here, then browse the sticky threads in the pre-merger AA sub-forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-awards.html
Old Apr 20, 15, 11:50 am

Programs: AS gold
You may also want to consider using your BA Avios miles up prior to their scheduled devaluation April 28. They do not impose fuel surcharges on Air Berlin.
Old Apr 20, 15, 2:33 pm

Programs: TK*S +SPG platinum, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by macfadsj View Post
You may also want to consider using your BA Avios miles up prior to their scheduled devaluation April 28. They do not impose fuel surcharges on Air Berlin.
Impossible ! I have aprox 1.5 Mio AVIOS and 900k AA, and a really low availability for what we need.
In the time the miles were with BD and US *aliance we could choose nearly every day from TG/LX/LH and SQ on our favourite Europe -Thailand route.
Old Apr 22, 15, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
1. Search for 'expire' in this forum.

2. Surcharges are levied on AA awards for all BA-operated flights. Lots of carriers for which AA miles may be redeemed are not searched by AA.com

3. Start here, then browse the sticky threads in the pre-merger AA sub-forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-awards.html
Thanks for answering,
Also I would like to know how to find out if :
FRA-AUH-CCU or DAC on EY or
FRA-DOH-CCU or DAC on QR
( AUH and CCU or DAC is in the same Award Zone, so it should be ok )
is a valid routing for 1 award tix 30/40 k in business or first ?
And if yes, how to feed the AA agent to book it !
Interesting that India , Bangladesh and Maldives are in the Indian subcontinent Zone, but Srilanka which is in the midle of all these, isn't, and be located as Asia 2.

Last edited by bertheike; Apr 22, 15 at 6:26 am
Old Apr 22, 15, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Read the sticky threads on the top of the forum

Ethihad is a partner airline of AA, but is not in the OW alliance

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post24639402
Old Apr 22, 15, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Read the sticky threads on the top of the forum

Ethihad is a partner airline of AA, but is not in the OW alliance

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post24639402
Thanks, for 3 of us i now transfered 1 SPG Point into each AA account. Let's see and wait, how Long it takes until them post.
For the other 2 I will wait, and may be do the same, but have different Lastname from SPG/AA account, if not working, i will buy or Transfer 1000 miles, ( which seems to be the cheapest ), or book an Award tix.

But the question about EY and QR is still open. What is the difference, if them be a Partner Airline ( EY ) or a oneworld member as / QR ) ? Any different rules ?
Old Apr 22, 15, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bertheike View Post
...But the question about EY and QR is still open. What is the difference, if them be a Partner Airline ( EY ) or a oneworld member as / QR ) ? Any different rules ?
There are, in fact, some connections allowed in Doha using QR that are only allowed using QR.

These are the only awards that are specific in that regard. All other awards go by published fares and and allowed 3rd region connections (which are pretty limited.) As well as some other rules.

You can see the allowed 3rd-zone connections (including the QR/DOH-specific ones) here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/541310...n/photostream/
Old Apr 22, 15, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the question about EY and QR is still open. What is the difference, if them be a Partner Airline ( EY ) or a oneworld member as / QR ) ? Any different rules ?
The difference may lie in benefits a person may be entitled to. eg UA and HA HA isnt a *A member but is a partner with UA, if Im an Elite with UA it wont help me if I have checked bags when staring out on HA eg EWR-HNL-OGG-HNL-EWR any checked bags will be free as long as I connect same day HNL-OGG but OGG-HNL HA will hit me for bag fees. Now had HA been a *A member then no bag fees would need to be paid.

If a person is flying in Y on EY then no free lounge access for them , while Y on QR with at least a Sapphire level you get access on QR. etc etc
Old Apr 24, 15, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC View Post
There are, in fact, some connections allowed in Doha using QR that are only allowed using QR.

These are the only awards that are specific in that regard. All other awards go by published fares and and allowed 3rd region connections (which are pretty limited.) As well as some other rules.

You can see the allowed 3rd-zone connections (including the QR/DOH-specific ones) here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/541310...n/photostream/
Thanks for the link, but Iam not behind a 3rd Region connecting.

I want to start in Europe / FRA / MUC or may be BRU/AMS and fly to CCU / DAC / MLE or MAA . All These destinations are in Zone Indian subcontinent.
All QR flights connect in Doha, and Doha is also Indian subcontinent. So my Routing is Europe- Indian Sub. with a connecting in Indian Sub.

Same thing with EY. Only difference is connectingpoint is AUH instead of DOH ( but also AUH is Indian Sub. ).

So both should be fine or ?
would be interested if in DOH or AUH a stopover > 24h is allowed. ?

*** Any experience how Long it takes until SPG Points credit in AA ?
Old Apr 24, 15, 4:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton, Marriott/SPG Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As a "new" AA FFP member transfered from USair, I found myself with many new rules, and so much to read. But still have some questions which even AA in FRA was not able to answer.
For a long time the pre-consolidation AA forum has had a Newbie Lounge, and now that AAdvantage is the combined programme for both airlines I think this would be a great thread to kick off a Combined AA newbie lounge thread. I'll go ahead and merge this in.

~Moderator
Old Apr 24, 15, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
So both should be fine or ?
would be interested if in DOH or AUH a stopover > 24h is allowed. ?
Stopovers in excess of 24 hrs are not allowed on a single award ticket.

Any experience how Long it takes until SPG Points credit in AA ?
There's a lot of discussion on this subject - including recent experiences - in the Starwood forum
Old Apr 24, 15, 8:33 am

Our U.S. passports have a space in our last name, which we usually write as one word with a capital in the middle. When we signed up for TSA Pre-Check, they advised us to add the space to our airline profiles. When we called US about it, they said they couldn't do it but we'd be fine with Pre-Check, which has been right so far. When I used the online contact form to ask AA about it, I got an immediate form reply with the link to change our profiles and that we'd need to send legal proof to change the parts that can't be changed online, including last name. Our profiles have the Pre-Check logo at the top, so would you expect that we'll be o.k. in that regard, without needing to send proof, if it's even possible for AA to change it?
Old Apr 24, 15, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by rove312 View Post
Our U.S. passports have a space in our last name, which we usually write as one word with a capital in the middle. When we signed up for TSA Pre-Check, they advised us to add the space to our airline profiles. When we called US about it, they said they couldn't do it but we'd be fine with Pre-Check, which has been right so far. When I used the online contact form to ask AA about it, I got an immediate form reply with the link to change our profiles and that we'd need to send legal proof to change the parts that can't be changed online, including last name. Our profiles have the Pre-Check logo at the top, so would you expect that we'll be o.k. in that regard, without needing to send proof, if it's even possible for AA to change it?
I have the same issue w/my last name - and it shows up sometimes as one word, sometimes as two - and w/all sorts of different capitalizations - and I have never had a problem w/the difference between my passport, ticket, FF #. including w/Pre-Check, Global Entry - and travel to close to a 100 countries.

If I were you, I wouldn't fret.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: