Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MIA or CLT to SJU?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Memo21
I would choose Miami, or if you are in St.Louis, go through DFW. I personally avoid Charlotte.....poor US Airways service, the concourses feel worn out / old and the Admirals Clubs are not great (the Club on B is in sad shape.....last time through there, the men's room was closed, the entire club smelled and the service at the bar was almost non existent). Miami's newer concourse is excellent (though crowded). Great shopping and the Admirals Clubs are very nice.
Well hopefully, you'd be pleased to hear that the older concourse at CLT are going to be refurbished, AA gate areas are also to be refurbished, the Admirals Clubs are to be refurbished with showers likely installed at the C/D Club and a new club may be built on concourse E. Also (though I may be bias) I find that, for the most part, customer service is good here at CLT.

To the OP, if you go via Miami you may get a new 738 with AVOD but if you can find the A330 from Charlotte then I think you should take that.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Originally Posted by Jhensley1607
There is a non-stop from ORD on AA, if you would want to go that route.
I would choose Miami, or if you are in St.Louis, go through DFW. I personally avoid Charlotte.....poor US Airways service, the concourses feel worn out / old and the Admirals Clubs are not great (the Club on B is in sad shape.....last time through there, the men's room was closed, the entire club smelled and the service at the bar was almost non existent). Miami's newer concourse is excellent (though crowded). Great shopping and the Admirals Clubs are very nice.
I like DFW the best out of AA's hubs; unfortunately, both DFW and ORD are MUCH more expensive routings. Also working against ORD is that this is the middle of winter. Weather-related IRROPS could really kill our vacation cruise, and any rebooking would probably be in middle seats in the back of the plane.

Working against DFW is that it's a 12-hour trip. Leave STL at 9:30am, get into SJU at 9:01 pm. There's no same-day connection to the early DFW-SJU flight. So, my options are PHL, CLT, or MIA. I can probably handle MIA just because it's a domestic connection. After last year, no way would I use MIA as an entry point into the US again. Took almost 2 hours... WITH GE and pre-check.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-ExecPlat, DL-Diamond, Hilton-Diamond, Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by iplaybass
I like DFW the best out of AA's hubs; unfortunately, both DFW and ORD are MUCH more expensive routings. Also working against ORD is that this is the middle of winter. Weather-related IRROPS could really kill our vacation cruise, and any rebooking would probably be in middle seats in the back of the plane.

Working against DFW is that it's a 12-hour trip. Leave STL at 9:30am, get into SJU at 9:01 pm. There's no same-day connection to the early DFW-SJU flight. So, my options are PHL, CLT, or MIA. I can probably handle MIA just because it's a domestic connection. After last year, no way would I use MIA as an entry point into the US again. Took almost 2 hours... WITH GE and pre-check.
True on Miami, however, I have found coming from the islands, if you can get a flight timed when the South American flights are not coming in, you can get through fairly quick. It's the island flights that come in during the SA wide body inbound rush that will kill you.

I'd still pick any hub, most days, over CLT.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I can probably handle MIA just because it's a domestic connection. After last year, no way would I use MIA as an entry point into the US again. Took almost 2 hours... WITH GE and pre-check.
I would like to hear this story. Were the Global Entry kiosks disabled?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:41 pm

I personally avoid Charlotte.....poor US Airways service, the concourses feel worn out / old and the Admirals Clubs are not great (the Club on B is in sad shape.....last time through there, the men's room was closed, the entire club smelled and the service at the bar was almost non existent).
I can't say I agree with any of this! I've always found the US staff at CLT to be quite friendly; they have helped me out of some jams. The big club is older, yes, but it has all the same amenities as any other AC, and the concourses are compact and easy to navigate.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Originally Posted by fastflyer
I would like to hear this story. Were the Global Entry kiosks disabled?
We landed last/next-to-last with a whole bunch of SA flights and had to wait before we could even get to the entry hallway. Add to that an agent who said that the center lane had to be kept clear for "crew only" and didn't want to respond to my GE question (1 hr). My wife finally found another agent who allowed her to retrieve me and we finally took the GE lane. half the GE terminals seemed to be OOO (10 mins wait), and we wound up going through the priority manual line (at shift change, 10 mins), and then into the cluster that is international baggage retrieval (15 mins to cross the line several times; people had the misperception that we were trying to cut in, not through, so it took 4 explanations in 3 different languages (ENG, ESP, FRA) to get across the snake. Then I had to dig my GE card out for the agent (my fault).

I wasn't in a good mood anyway, since one of my fellow J passengers had elbowed me in the chest to get by as the GA in SXM was carefully inspecting my BP to make sure I wasn't just another misguided tourist trying to get on the plane early. He just said "I'm in business class," threw the elbow, and breezed past.

I would do MIA ex-US, but never again as my entry point unless I have a 5 hour layover.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:43 am

I would do MIA ex-US, but never again as my entry point unless I have a 5 hour layover.
I just can't agree with this enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.