MIA or CLT to SJU?

Old Apr 22, 15, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lowly kettle across AAdvantage, DL, Hyatt, ATK, IHG, Bonvoy.
MIA or CLT to SJU?

I will be flying to SJU in J (think it's a *UP fare). Never been in US Airways F, and my aircraft options are 319/321 or 320 via CLT (the 330 ex-PHL uisn't an option or this would be a no-brainer), or 738/738 via MIA.

Any odds on either routing? About a $25 difference RT.
Old Apr 22, 15, 10:08 am

I would go with what fits your schedule best. For that price difference its a push. The F experience on the legacy AA flights will be slightly better than the legacy US flights; however, its going to have the same food / drink selections.

I find the seats up front on the 737 more comfortable than the 32x and 319's but its personal preference.
Old Apr 22, 15, 10:57 am

I personally make an effort to choose connecting through CLT over connecting through just about anywhere else. Compared to MIA in particular, it is much less of a madhouse, much smoother ops, less likelihood of big delays or broken schedules. Friendlier staff if something does go wrong. Flew US to the islands (AUA) last year connecting through CLT and it was an incredibly smooth experience.

Also it looks to me like US is running a 330 on one of the two CLT-SJU flights currently. Is it not an option around when you'll be traveling?
Old Apr 22, 15, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
All things considered its pretty much a wash. I would go for best schedule/cheapest option.
Old Apr 22, 15, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
MIA or CLT to SJU?

The only thing that AA 738's has is the IFE, and that most planes are newer than US for this route, other than that, the seats on the airbus are better. If you could get the 330, that will be sweet.

Last edited by arollins; Apr 22, 15 at 1:50 pm
Old Apr 22, 15, 7:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by arollins View Post
The only thing that AA 738's has is the IFE, and that most planes are newer than US for this route, other than that, the seats on the airbus are better. If you could get the 330, that will be sweet.
This would be a no-brainer for me....all the 738s have some form of IFE and you may get lucky and get one with AVOD....the US planes will have zero IFE (which is partly why I avoid them).
Old Apr 22, 15, 8:22 pm

Programs: US,HH
The no brainer for me is route through CLT rather than MIA. I'll bring my own entertainment.
Old Apr 22, 15, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I always prefer CLT- no train to deal with (sometimes required in MIA) and friendlier staff/restaurants/etc. No major difference in the seats or meals on the flights, YMMV on either for service.

Last edited by Organgrinder; Apr 22, 15 at 8:33 pm Reason: Misread SJU to be SJO
Old Apr 22, 15, 8:56 pm

Programs: US CP
I would chose the CLT option, as well. It is an easy airport with usually smooth operations. I find MIA to be a bit of a cluster.
Old Apr 22, 15, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
I prefer CLT for the terminal and staff. I prefer MIA because you usually get a 738. The trump card is if you can get the 330 out of CLT which is available about 1/2 of the year.

I'm actually booked on the 332 next week and am praying for the upgrade email.

Interestingly, on Monday or Tuesday, they swapped out the 332 for a 333 so 28 F seats is a good upgrade shot...
Old Apr 22, 15, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Whatever carrier you fly down don't fly AA back. I find that the AA SJU staff are the worst in the system. Even worse than MIA or PHL. Only place I have ever had an agent refuse to rebook me during irrops because exchanging a US issued ticket was too much trouble. The US staff are much better IMHO.
Old Apr 23, 15, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lowly kettle across AAdvantage, DL, Hyatt, ATK, IHG, Bonvoy.
Thanks for all the advice! Currently, my intended flights to/from CLT both are showing as A321. IFE isn't an issue. Got lots of diversions. Not so worried about this trip.

Returning from SXM in mid-January with a 90-minute layover for non-GE customs and non pre-check security re-clear have me worried for our traveling companions.
Old Apr 23, 15, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key
There is a non-stop from ORD on AA, if you would want to go that route.
Old Apr 23, 15, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA - Platinum; 1W Sapphire; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
In retrospect, I am ashamed at this forum.

I thought the response to every question on routing was "Which gives you the most miles"?
Old Apr 23, 15, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-ExecPlat, DL-Diamond, Hilton-Diamond, Hyatt-Diamond
I would choose Miami, or if you are in St.Louis, go through DFW. I personally avoid Charlotte.....poor US Airways service, the concourses feel worn out / old and the Admirals Clubs are not great (the Club on B is in sad shape.....last time through there, the men's room was closed, the entire club smelled and the service at the bar was almost non existent). Miami's newer concourse is excellent (though crowded). Great shopping and the Admirals Clubs are very nice.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: