Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Using AA Miles to book award Travel on Iberia to Cuba

Old Apr 7, 15, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Hi There,

I was migrated to AA after being a US Airways frequent flyer, so I'm not sure where to look for info now (Used to StarAlliance), hoping you could help me here getting started with OneWorld.

I live in Israel, planning to fly with my SO to Cuba on September.
Seems like the best route would be with Iberia, through Madrid. Also, seems like a good time to use some of my stocked award miles.
However, Havannah Cuba (HAV) is never on any of the AA\US Airways partner awards regions\charts, so I'm wondering what I can even do to order.

So:
1. How can I look for available award-seats on OneWorld partners?
2. Are the Cuba routes even eligible for award miles?
3. I'm looking specifically for award travel on these flights:
1-Sep IB7867, IB6621
16-Sep IB6620, 17-Sep IB7868
Any help finding availability?

Many thanks in advance
Old Apr 7, 15, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Flights to Cuba are not eligible for mileage earning nor redemption.

https://www.aa.com/AAdvantage/print/...AAdvantage.jsp
Old Apr 7, 15, 11:01 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by flyeryul View Post
Hi There,

I was migrated to AA after being a US Airways frequent flyer, so I'm not sure where to look for info now (Used to StarAlliance), hoping you could help me here getting started with OneWorld.

I live in Israel, planning to fly with my SO to Cuba on September.
Seems like the best route would be with Iberia, through Madrid. Also, seems like a good time to use some of my stocked award miles.
However, Havannah Cuba (HAV) is never on any of the AA\US Airways partner awards regions\charts, so I'm wondering what I can even do to order.

So:
1. How can I look for available award-seats on OneWorld partners?
2. Are the Cuba routes even eligible for award miles?
3. I'm looking specifically for award travel on these flights:
1-Sep IB7867, IB6621
16-Sep IB6620, 17-Sep IB7868
Any help finding availability?

Many thanks in advance
I doubt very much that AA will let you book an award to Cuba on Iberia, although they themselves fly there 2 or 3 x day from Miami but technically it is "charter flights".

Your best choice is probably to get an award on any OW airline to Jamaica, the Dominican Republic, Merida, Mexico City or Cancun (Mex), and buy yourself a short range RT ticket to HAV.

<redacted>

Last edited by miamigrad; Apr 7, 15 at 4:12 pm Reason: redacted unnecessary characterization
Old Apr 25, 15, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Any chance this can change by the time the US open an embassy in Cuba?
I plan to go there next February for the Habanos festival, if I can't get miles I will book my ticket using avios.
Thought?
Old Apr 25, 15, 10:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm dubious the restrictions will ease by February, but that's a guess.

AA miles can't be used to Cuba, but there are reasonably priced flights from nearby islands and from Mexico (CUN, MEX and probably still MID).
Old Apr 25, 15, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Thanks for your answer, I wasn't clear enough, I intended to pay for my ticket flying directly from Europe with IB and collect points on my AA account, if I can't I may just use avios or a * airline.
Old Apr 25, 15, 12:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by pvgman View Post
Thanks for your answer, I wasn't clear enough, I intended to pay for my ticket flying directly from Europe with IB and collect points on my AA account, if I can't I may just use avios or a * airline.
You can not earn miles on any AA partner (or AA) to or from Cuba. I flew AA HAV-MIA and though the flight was listed as an AA 9413, but as US - Cuba flights are operated as charters to Cuba Travel Services, no miles.

The U. S. Treasury Office of Foreign Asset Control regulations restrict earning miles from any American airline frequent flyer programs on foreign airlines, so it's not possible to earn AAdvantage miles flying to or from Cuba using Iberia (of course, you can earn Avios). This will apply to any U.S. airline's FFP, regardless of alliance.

I believe a Congressional action would be required to rescind the regulations, and I dont see the political will to do that for some time. For more detailed information, see:

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...ages/cuba.aspx

Search this Thread