Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA flight DFW-HKG-DFW experiences, questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
(LAA) 777-300ER / "77W" Experiences & Questions AA 137 / AA 138 DFW-HKG-DFW
NOTE: Changing to AA 125 and 126 Nov 2016

(with thanks to Dr. HFH for starting this thread)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
There's a thread for upgrade experiences on these flights, but none for experiences actually taking these flights, so I thought that I'd start one. These are arguably AA's premier flights right now, -- longest route, new aircraft, etc. So share your onboard experiences here, good, bad and otherwise!!
Discussion about the DFW-HKG route is here: DFW-PVG and DFW-HKG Starting Summer 2014 [route discussion]
Discussion about upgrades on the DFW-HKG flights are here: 77W DFW-HKG AA 137 / 138 Upgrade & Waitlist Discussion

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

AA flight DFW-HKG-DFW experiences, questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
man - - least you had the legroom. 5,000 miles seems paltry.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
They gave me 5000 miles.
For 16hrs with no IFE?? Seems rather paltry.

DL gave me 7500 for a broken reading light on LAX-SYD.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vh_bu98
They gave me 5000 miles.
Originally Posted by Abidjan
man - - least you had the legroom. 5,000 miles seems paltry.
Originally Posted by akcae
For 16hrs with no IFE?? Seems rather paltry.

DL gave me 7500 for a broken reading light on LAX-SYD.
Unfortunately, but realistically, the amount of miles received for any inconvenience often depends on your FF Tier. AA GLD is not going to get the same as an EXP.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I never understood this secondary security check. Bottled waters and sodas that we bought airside were confiscated during this secondary check. So annoying. Is it every terminal in HK or just AA? I don't remember this check on CX but that was in 2013.
Doesn't matter if it is 2013 or not, as this policy had been in place for more than 10 years, it was in place shortly after 9/11/2001, as long as it is nonstop from HKG to the US, they are going to do a secondary security check.

If you are flying CX to NRT connect to AA, they won't do it, like I said, only nonstop from HKG to US, CX has no exemption from this. Even if you don't remember, if they didn't do it your flight wouldn't even be allowed to be airbourne !

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Agreed that the whole bottled water confiscation thing is ridiculous, and I'm pretty sure it's just an AA thing. Never seen it on JL (wouldn't know about CX).

Made the mistake of packing along four bottles for the flight, all of which were taken (I stood in the gate and drank one to make it less of a waste). I wanted to stay hydrated with my own stuff after being scolded for standing in the galley to get water last time, but I guess that's just not possible on 138.
No it is not, apparently you had never flown any nonstop from HKG to US, JL to the US stop at NRT or HND, so that means it is it is not nonstop to the US, of course it wouldn't have a 2nd security check.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Is AA 137/138 always have "indifferent" meals compare to others ? I am just started to frequent AA a lot more since I signed up for the challenge, was quite shocked to see how dismal for the meals in Y.

3 choices are always better than 2, but it just seems like AA took away stuff like salad and dessert to create another meal. The entrée seems at least 25% bigger than normal, but without salad, dessert is just a pre-packaged brownie, and no butter for the bread (on the menus card said it is garlic butter infused bread, but I certainly don't taste any garlic butter). The entrée did taste really good, and the other pork dish had quite a lot of meat, even someone had commented if it is CX instead, that pork entrée would equal to 2 Y meal on CX. Then the meal prior to arrival obvious had a lot more food than the first meal, makes no sense whatsoever, as this is a day time flight, not a flight departs close to or after midnight.

Are the meals always indifferent for this flight ?

Then for the return I actually flew CX to NRT and AA to ORD, wow, what a surprise ! No menus but the meal is like a 5 star meal ! Even those CX Y flyers are jealous about that, as CX had been cut cost to the extreme in Y in the past few years ! Salad, chocolate mousse cake, then smoked salmon with potato salad underneath, and the entrée is the yoshinoya beef with rice, this is like the quality of Y meal in the 90s ! More importantly, the bread did come with butter, no garlic butter infused crap like on AA 137 !

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jul 11, 2016 at 10:13 am
Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold.
Anyone know if this flight in F has been upgraded to the enhanced service like the SYD flight? Taking this flight in F in early September.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by tyvoodoo
Anyone know if this flight in F has been upgraded to the enhanced service like the SYD flight? Taking this flight in F in early September.

I flew this route in F last month. Some adjustments to the meals. A couple more snack options available at any time during the flight. J has been enhanced to include pajamas and mattress pads (previously F-only offerings).

I don't think HKG will have the same super enhancements that AA has offered to SYD. The SYD enhancements are intended to try to have a consistent product with partner QF on this route.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I flew this route in F last month. Some adjustments to the meals. A couple more snack options available at any time during the flight. J has been enhanced to include pajamas and mattress pads (previously F-only offerings).

I don't think HKG will have the same super enhancements that AA has offered to SYD. The SYD enhancements are intended to try to have a consistent product with partner QF on this route.
Apparently HKG supposedly now has the same standards as LAX-SYD. Some have commented that due to the enhancements and the downgrading of CX's catering, AA might have a better offering especially considering the wifi, pjs and mattress pads in J. Of course, the flight attendants will never be on the same footing as CX.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by Longboater
Apparently HKG supposedly now has the same standards as LAX-SYD. Some have commented that due to the enhancements and the downgrading of CX's catering, AA might have a better offering especially considering the wifi, pjs and mattress pads in J. Of course, the flight attendants will never be on the same footing as CX.
Flew DFW <-> HKG earlier this month and indeed, received pajamas and a mattress pad in J. The flights were very pleasant with great, friendly service and good food. I've had mixed service experiences on both AA and CX so now, consider their J products equal at this point.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:12 am

Booked my flight back in May LGA-DFW-HKG, took my normal 18c MCE on the way out and 19H on the way back...there was a schedule change that made me call back up and confirm the schedule change (change was minor). Now I look at my flights and they have removed me from 18c and put me in 22c, which is not MCE and only MCE left is middle seats. Beyond pissed off right now. first person i spoke with told me it was an aircraft swap. While it might be an aircraft swap, its the same dang plane. Also, the lady who claims she is a supervisor tried to tell me that 17E was an aisle seat. Had to tell her she doesn't understand the layout of this plane.

Seems the person who did the rebooking didn't realize that 137 doesn't go directly to HKG and didn't put a seat in for me or just grabbed anything that was available. What a joke.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
No it is not, apparently you had never flown any nonstop from HKG to US, JL to the US stop at NRT or HND, so that means it is it is not nonstop to the US, of course it wouldn't have a 2nd security check.
I've flown plenty of nonstops from HKG to the US, but only between HKG and DFW. I stand corrected. I erroneously based my experience off of HKG-YYZ and YVR flights when discussing HKG-US security policy.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Flew DFW <-> HKG earlier this month and indeed, received pajamas and a mattress pad in J. The flights were very pleasant with great, friendly service and good food. I've had mixed service experiences on both AA and CX so now, consider their J products equal at this point.
Are you SURE you're thinking of AA 137/138?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:17 pm
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
I just flew AA 137 on July 16 and had the same experience as FlytheTail. Was quite surprised at the PJs and mattress pad. The food was much better. I had the steamed pork bun as a snack and while it is still plane food it was quite tasty..
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Glad to hear that the DFW>HKG is now offering pjs in J!!! So I don't need to bring those from other airlines for the 16+hour flight then?! One less thing to pack!
Never been to HKG so doubt I want to eat Asian themed food on a plane! Any suggestions on what is decent on the menu? Plenty of opportunity to enjoy authentic cuisine when I arrive.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:22 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Glad to hear that the DFW>HKG is now offering pjs in J!!! So I don't need to bring those from other airlines for the 16+hour flight then?! One less thing to pack!
Never been to HKG so doubt I want to eat Asian themed food on a plane! Any suggestions on what is decent on the menu? Plenty of opportunity to enjoy authentic cuisine when I arrive.
Yes, the PJs and the mattress pad was a surprise to me although I declined the PJs. I usually dress comfortably before a long flight anyways.

They give you a choice of American or Asian theme food. I had beef tenderloin as my main dish, beef sliders as my second, and eggs and bacon as my breakfast. The food was better than coach, but no means great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.