Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines trip in vain - policy, questions, what now? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines trip in vain - policy, questions, what now? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Boston area was hit by strong Nor'easter all day today, heavy rain with very strong wind. Many flights in and out of Boston Logan was cancelled with handful of flights made it in and out of Boston Logan, if you were not aware.

Highly likely there just was not any available seats left flying into Boston Logan on any airlines today. The weather condition was known from few days ago. AA has issued travel advisory for Boston.
i am aware of the weather issue. I am currently holed up in a hotel in Boston and my family were to meet me here. When they departed MCI this morning, all of their flights were on schedule. The connecting flight was only cancelled when they were en route to ORD.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 12:07 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Definitely a trip in vain. They did not fly "To Chicago". Instead, they flew "halfway to Boston". There's a difference. You bought a ticket to Boston. The flights were cancelled. Trip in Vain.

To get a refund of miles, contact AAdvantage Customer Service.
Originally Posted by BlindPilot
My wife and son were scheduled to fly today MCI-ORD-BOS (coming back Sunday). When they were pushing out of the gate for the first segment, my wife received a notification that the connecting flight was cancelled. When they landed in ORD, the earliest that they can get was a flight arriving past midnight on Sunday. That wasn't going to work because they were to attend a Saturday wedding. My wife agreed to take ORD-BDL flight. This flight ended by being cancelled too. The AA folks in ORD tried to find them alternative flights but due to weather issue in the northeast, everything is either cancelled or full. So, they ended up flying back to MCI today.

Is this a trip in vain? If so, how do they get refund (they used miles)?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:03 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
There was a similar question from another poster (flying on two different airlines) but I don’t believe the solution was ever posted.

Nor’Easter might not allow me to fly to Miami and my outbound is with Delta, my return on Monday morning with AA. If I don’t make it to MIA due to the cancellations this weekend, will AA bother to issue me a refund?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Similar situation happened to me in the January Texas ice storm. I was on a six segment as I was doubling up business trips. I got to my first location MSY but couldn’t get to the next locations SLC. I was ultimately able to get back home to AUS. I wasn’t offered any refund, but I was glad to be home. I did write AA CS and requested the original spend, miles and segments be credited as somehow my $650 ticket only registered $175 EQD. They without hesitation honored my request. I didn’t push them for refund though. I got all six segments and the $600+ EQD within a free days.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Boston area was hit by strong Nor'easter all day today, heavy rain with very strong wind. Many flights in and out of Boston Logan was cancelled with handful of flights made it in and out of Boston Logan, if you were not aware.

Highly likely there just was not any available seats left flying into Boston Logan on any airlines today. The weather condition was known from few days ago. AA has issued travel advisory for Boston.
The only reason I ask if there was wx related endorsement to another airline is because when I lived in Chicago (as a UA flyer) I would be PISSED because if there was just a few inches of snow UA would cancel the express flights like no tomorrow and Eagle would be flying like it's no problem. There were a few times UA endorsed my ticket (being a 1K probably helped too) over to Eagle.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by creampuff
I just want to know..... did everybody make it to the bathroom in Denver in time or were there any "accidents"?
American Airlines "Something Smelly In The Air" LOL
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by BlindPilot
My wife and son were scheduled to fly today MCI-ORD-BOS (coming back Sunday). When they were pushing out of the gate for the first segment, my wife received a notification that the connecting flight was cancelled. When they landed in ORD, the earliest that they can get was a flight arriving past midnight on Sunday. That wasn't going to work because they were to attend a Saturday wedding. My wife agreed to take ORD-BDL flight. This flight ended by being cancelled too. The AA folks in ORD tried to find them alternative flights but due to weather issue in the northeast, everything is either cancelled or full. So, they ended up flying back to MCI today.

Is this a trip in vain? If so, how do they get refund (they used miles)?
I worried for nothing. Without my prompting, AA sent an email apologizing for not getting the PAX to the destination and letting us know that all the miles will be redeposited to the account and money back to credit card. Kudos to AA.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by SDQBound
There was a similar question from another poster (flying on two different airlines) but I don’t believe the solution was ever posted.

Nor’Easter might not allow me to fly to Miami and my outbound is with Delta, my return on Monday morning with AA. If I don’t make it to MIA due to the cancellations this weekend, will AA bother to issue me a refund?
All depends on whether you are on one or two tickets. Now that DL and AA have reinstated their interline ticketing agreement, that is an important question.

If you are on a single ticket and your outbound to MIA is cancelled, if your ticket is refunded, it will be the entire ticket (unless you make other arrangements) and the refund should come from the marketing/plating carrier.

If you are on two tickets, you have chosen to take the risk of separate tickets.

Whether AA refunds will depend on whether AA operates its flight on the day in question (or has a weather waiver providing for cancellation and refund in place). AA would not even know that your inbound to MIA was cancelled. So, not a question of "bother" but of what actions you chose to take. Even if you are not entitled to a refund, I would nonetheless ask AA to consider a refund or at least a credit without a fee. Whatever you do, presuming that you are on a penalty fare, make sure that you cancel your AA ticket prior to scheduled departure so that you at least have the ticket value less the penalty.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
All depends on whether you are on one or two tickets. Now that DL and AA have reinstated their interline ticketing agreement, that is an important question.

If you are on a single ticket and your outbound to MIA is cancelled, if your ticket is refunded, it will be the entire ticket (unless you make other arrangements) and the refund should come from the marketing/plating carrier.

If you are on two tickets, you have chosen to take the risk of separate tickets.

Whether AA refunds will depend on whether AA operates its flight on the day in question (or has a weather waiver providing for cancellation and refund in place). AA would not even know that your inbound to MIA was cancelled. So, not a question of "bother" but of what actions you chose to take. Even if you are not entitled to a refund, I would nonetheless ask AA to consider a refund or at least a credit without a fee. Whatever you do, presuming that you are on a penalty fare, make sure that you cancel your AA ticket prior to scheduled departure so that you at least have the ticket value less the penalty.
Everything went well in the end. I did ask the question during check-in and was told that they were flexible up until yesterday with these types of situation.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:26 am

Advice on a recent 'trip in vain' issue
I booked a flight from home to City A, then to City B, then back home

Home to to A is fine
A to B is a connection through Washington. Flight from Washington to B is canceled. There are no other flights within 8 hours, causing me to miss the meeting I was due to attend

Admirals Club agrees this is a trip in vain, routes me back home and says that they have set me up for a partial refund
Weeks later, Customer Relations says this isn't a trip in vain because they should have routed me back to City A - refusing any refund

Not sure how this makes sense?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I was scheduled to fly DCA-LIT last night, it MX delayed from 6pm to 9pm to 11:30pm (with a new plane by this point) to 12:20am and then (when the new plane came) to 10:30 a.m. this morning. Colleagues & I would have missed the event today in LIT, so we canceled. I got a full refund processed for my DCA-LIT-DCA.

One of my colleagues was ticketed LGA-DCA-LIT//LIT-DCA-LGA, one ticket. I called AA to seek a refund for "trip in vain" but AA insists that no full refund is due because "he flew on the ticket," even though all AA did was strand him overnight at a connection point. No flights were available back to NYC until late afternoon, so colleague took the train back this morning and simply wants his ticket refunded. I would expect a full (and not partial) refund here. Is that unrealistic?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I was scheduled to fly DCA-LIT last night, it MX delayed from 6pm to 9pm to 11:30pm (with a new plane by this point) to 12:20am and then (when the new plane came) to 10:30 a.m. this morning. Colleagues & I would have missed the event today in LIT, so we canceled. I got a full refund processed for my DCA-LIT-DCA.

One of my colleagues was ticketed LGA-DCA-LIT//LIT-DCA-LGA, one ticket. I called AA to seek a refund for "trip in vain" but AA insists that no full refund is due because "he flew on the ticket," even though all AA did was strand him overnight at a connection point. No flights were available back to NYC until late afternoon, so colleague took the train back this morning and simply wants his ticket refunded. I would expect a full (and not partial) refund here. Is that unrealistic?
I’d say in this instance I’d say the applicable rule is HUCA - hang up and call again.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
I’d say in this instance I’d say the applicable rule is HUCA - hang up and call again.
Did that and then pressed for supervisor, same answer. Send a message by twitter and they claim to have set it up for a refund... we'll see if it's a full one...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.