Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines trip in vain - policy, questions, what now? (consolidated)

American Airlines trip in vain - policy, questions, what now? (consolidated)

Old Jan 27, 15, 4:05 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: IAD
Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Posts: 1,154
American Airlines trip in vain - policy, questions, what now? (consolidated)

So I had a simple same day mileage run scheduled for today IAD-LAX-IAD. Last night I got a text that my IAD-LAX was delayed 30 min. Not a problem as I had almost 3 hours in LA. Until... I get another text saying the delay is now 2 and a half hours. Not liking my chances with a 30 min turnaround and no guarantee my flight would leave on time, I called and changed IAD-LAX to IAD-DFW-LAX with a now two hour turnaround in LA. No change fee due to the weather waiver.

I take the first leg to DFW - No issues. Board the plane for LA on time, push back and then have to return to the gate for me hanical. After 2 and a half hours and no sign of resolution, my connection is shot. I get of the plane and get rebooked back to IAD. For good measure the DFW-LAX flight is eventually canceled. On the flight back to IAD now so that ends this aidventure.

My question pertains to the miles earned. Any way to get original routing credit? Or is this a trip in vain where I could get a refund? Am I stuck with miles flown? Any advice as to what steps to take is appreciated!


Note - to add insult to injury my original IAD-LAX flight ended up leaving in time to make my cnx and was in fact the same plane used to return to IAD that I was originally scheduled to take.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 30, 15 at 12:33 pm Reason: Restore original post title
bevoinva is offline  
Old Jan 27, 15, 4:08 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Posts: 1,510
Originally Posted by bevoinva View Post
So I had a simple same day mileage run scheduled for today IAD-LAX-IAD. Last night I got a text that my IAD-LAX was delayed 30 min. Not a problem as I had almost 3 hours in LA. Until... I get another text saying the delay is now 2 and a half hours. Not liking my chances with a 30 min turnaround and no guarantee my flight would leave on time, I called and changed IAD-LAX to IAD-DFW-LAX with a now two hour turnaround in LA. No change fee due to the weather waiver.

I take the first leg to DFW - No issues. Board the plane for LA on time, push back and then have to return to the gate for me hanical. After 2 and a half hours and no sign of resolution, my connection is shot. I get of the plane and get rebooked back to IAD. For good measure the DFW-LAX flight is eventually canceled. On the flight back to IAD now so that ends this aidventure.

My question pertains to the miles earned. Any way to get original routing credit? Or is this a trip in vain where I could get a refund? Am I stuck with miles flown? Any advice as to what steps to take is appreciated!


Note - to add insult to injury my original IAD-LAX flight ended up leaving in time to make my cnx and was in fact the same plane used to return to IAD that I was originally scheduled to take.
If it was a MR, I would absolutely email them for ORC. My guess is they will gladly give you the full EQM, EQP, and EQS and keep your money. Obviously dont tell them it was a mileage run. Just explain you were rerouted due to delay and the flight subsequently delayed sufficiently in DFW due to mechanical that it made sense to just be booked back home.

Keep in mind, with 3 hours, it wouldnt be unreasonable to assume you were having a meeting at the Admirals Club for business... God knows I've flown that far for 1 hour meetings.
imapilotaz is offline  
Old Jan 27, 15, 9:22 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: AUS
Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Posts: 6,066
They sometimes push back on ORC if the delay/cancel was weather related, but you should have no problem since it was caused by a mechanical problem.
Stripe is offline  
Old Apr 3, 15, 12:07 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 40
AA trip in vain policies?

I am booking a quick weekend getaway on AA. I have some miles I'd like to burn and but I can only find availability one way. So I am thinking about paying for the outbound, and using miles for the return.

My question is, since the trip is so short (leave Friday night, come back Sunday night), if my Friday night flight is delayed/cancelled, could I get a trip in vain even if it's 2 PNRs (both flights will be on AA)?
qeratify is offline  
Old Apr 3, 15, 6:05 am
  #5  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,789
AA does have a trip in vain policy; I'm not sure how it would apply to two one ways on separate tickets, PNRs.
JDiver is offline  
Old Apr 3, 15, 10:15 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,469
Do you somehow expect the outbound flight to be cancelled or so badly overbooked that you would get an IDB? Have you looked for other possible flights on Friday, including begging to be put onto an earlier flight if it appears by then that some problem is likely?

In any case, it doesn't hurt to call and request that the PNRs be linked (cross referenced).
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Apr 3, 15, 11:55 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 40
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Do you somehow expect the outbound flight to be cancelled or so badly overbooked that you would get an IDB? Have you looked for other possible flights on Friday, including begging to be put onto an earlier flight if it appears by then that some problem is likely?

In any case, it doesn't hurt to call and request that the PNRs be linked (cross referenced).
My schedule is pretty tight, so this is the only outbound flight I can actually make. I will call them and ask them to link the PNRs, that seems like a good idea thanks!
qeratify is offline  
Old Apr 3, 15, 5:38 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 49,333
Separate tickets, not just PNR's is the problem.

"Linking" PNR's does not help OP. All that happens is that AA lists the return/onward PNR in the originating PNR notes. That way, if someone looks, they can see the details. But, it does not create a single ticket or change any fare or other rules.

OP does not need a "trip in vain" in the circumstances he lists. If his flight is cancelled or significantly delayed, he is entitled to cancel for a full refund of his ticket. In his case, that means a full credit to his CC. The return is a different ticket. That will not be cancelled. OP can either cancel and redeposit or change and pay whatever fees are due or he can no show.

It is always possible that an agent is sympathetic, but it should not be expected.
Often1 is offline  
Old Oct 25, 15, 11:49 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SFO, VCE
Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Posts: 2,881
Flight in vain, miles?

I recently traveled JFK-SFO in J. I went to the bathroom just before I anticipated that the flight attendants would start buckling things up during the last hour of the flight.

The J toilet was full, and wouldn't flush. Coming out, I notified the FA's, and they said, "we know." I went back to my seat and shortly thereafter the pilot announced, "Maybe you all have noticed that the toilets are not flushing in all three cabins. We don't want to inconvenience our passengers, and so we are going to have to divert to the nearest airport, which is Denver."

There was a collective groan, as he had already announced that we were only one hour and five minutes away, and getting ready for descent. The flight was supposed to have landed at SFO at 8:30 PM. We stayed on the ground in Denver for two hours, with no announcements.

Since this was a flight from JFK to SFO for me to spend about 12 hours in SF to see my grandson, I asked the FA, "If we stay here any longer, this is going to be a flight in vain."

Her response after we had spent two hours on the tarmac in Denver was, "So what? If you want to get off the plane and claim a flight in vain, go ahead, the door is open."

I chose not to, since it didn't appear as if I'd be doing anything other than sleeping at the Denver airport late at night, then catching a standby back east without seeing my grandson.

I've never sent complaint to AA, except for one time when I redeemed miles for a hotel stay in Rome, and when I arrived the hotel had no record of it, and I was stuck overnight sleeping at the train station because it was very late at night. AA just gave me back the miles that I had redeemed for the hotel stay.

Now, having gone to SF just to see my grandson and instead of arriving at 8:30 at night I arrived at 12:30, after the trains and shuttles buses to Marin had closed down. I took a cab to Marin for $130.

I understand IRROPS, but why divert to DEN, which was the same distance away, and that was obviously not wanted because of the booing and hissing of the passengers, as the pilot had announced that we were only 1:05 away from landing at SFO, and instead, we took a four hour delay?

I wound up getting to Marin after everyone was asleep, just giving them a kiss in the morning, then going right back to the airport, instead of spending the evening with them.

Does "trip in vain" mean much, when all that it led to was the FA saying, "If you want to get off the plane, go ahead, that is your right." When we left Denver the pilot announced that our flying time to SFO would be two hours and something. Do you even get miles credited for the extra thousand or so miles that I flew beyond my original route?

I think that anyone would rather tolerate a stincky toilet for one hour and five minutes, over a four hour delay in arrival time.

Is this a cause for complaint?
Perche is offline  
Old Oct 25, 15, 12:01 pm
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Atherton, CA
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Posts: 21,693
I think you'd have a hard time claiming "trip in vain" for a 4 hour night time delay, especially since you actually went to see your family.

My guess is you'll get some token miles or a small voucher.

And wow, you scheduled an 8:30am departure from SFO while staying in Marin? Sounds like you got a max 4 hours sleep.

I think the DEN landing was probably a health and safety issue. Some folks simply can't hold it very long for medical reasons.
Doc Savage is offline  
Old Oct 25, 15, 2:17 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Posts: 1,112
In this scenario - I think you ought to just deal with it and move on. AA didn't do anything wrong - other than have a mechanical issue that resulted in a delay. That happens and it's not anything that was intentional. You point out that your only other option was sleeping in the DEN airport - so going to SFO was probably the right move.

A complaint will yield you some miles, but that's all and I'm not sure it's even worth the effort. You booked a short trip, AA helped it be just a bit shorter.
reeg2 is offline  
Old Oct 25, 15, 2:59 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London
Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Posts: 777
I just want to know..... did everybody make it to the bathroom in Denver in time or were there any "accidents"?
creampuff is offline  
Old Oct 25, 15, 3:30 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SFO, VCE
Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Posts: 2,881
Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
I just want to know..... did everybody make it to the bathroom in Denver in time or were there any "accidents"?
No, I'm an older person who keeps an eye on the bathroom, and when to make the last trip before the seat belt sign comes on. I just didn't understand diverting from one hour and five minutes, to land in Denver in one hour. The diversion saved a total of about five minutes. You would think that the pilot would have had some discretion here, and would have just plowed on to SFO.

When we landed at DEN no one could get off the plane or use the bathroom until maintenance came in and fixed it, unless you wanted to claim a trip in vain, or take some other reason for departing without the possibility of reboarding. If anyone was struggling to hold it in the diversion to Denver made everyone hold it in for a few more hours because no one was allowed to leave the plane or to use the bathroom until they fixed it, and that happened hours after we would have landed in SFO.
Perche is offline  
Old Oct 25, 15, 3:52 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 5,271
Originally Posted by Perche View Post
I just didn't understand diverting from one hour and five minutes, to land in Denver in one hour. The diversion saved a total of about five minutes. You would think that the pilot would have had some discretion here, and would have just plowed on to SFO.
The flight arrived in Denver about an hour earlier than it would've arrived in SFO, so it's not accurate to say it "saved a total of about five minutes."

It's probably fair to assume that any passengers with looming "emergencies" weren't shouting it from the rooftops. The FAs (and pilots) may have been discreetly informed by one or more passengers that they weren't going to make it to SFO.
rjw242 is offline  
Old Oct 25, 15, 3:53 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London
Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Posts: 777
Originally Posted by Perche View Post
No, I'm an older person who keeps an eye on the bathroom, and when to make the last trip before the seat belt sign comes on. I just didn't understand diverting from one hour and five minutes, to land in Denver in one hour. The diversion saved a total of about five minutes. You would think that the pilot would have had some discretion here, and would have just plowed on to SFO.

When we landed at DEN no one could get off the plane or use the bathroom until maintenance came in and fixed it, unless you wanted to claim a trip in vain, or take some other reason for departing without the possibility of reboarding. If anyone was struggling to hold it in the diversion to Denver made everyone hold it in for a few more hours because no one was allowed to leave the plane or to use the bathroom until they fixed it, and that happened hours after we would have landed in SFO.
That's pretty crazy. I usually drink plenty of water when I'm flying so I don't get dehydrated. If I just had to have an unplanned additional sit-down for several hours, I wouldn't be able to make it.
creampuff is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: