Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Airlines trip in vain - policy, questions, what now? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines trip in vain - policy, questions, what now? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:15 pm

UA cancelled outbound causes Trip in Vain, AA refunds inbound?

My ORD-SFO outbound today was cancelled by UA due to MX. I have a SJC-ORD ticket on AA tomorrow afternoon. UA automatically rebooked me to tomorrow morning, which makes my trip in vain. I have already called UA to cancel and refund. I'm wondering if it is possible to ask AA to refund for the return ticket.
I don't expect AA to refund due to UA's fault, but just wanted to ask in case this is actually possible.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
No way unless you had it on the same ticket number.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by DWFI
No way unless you had it on the same ticket number.
No, they are separate tickets..
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:02 pm

Unfortunately you're out of luck then

Even if both directions were on AA (but separate tickets) you would likely have to fight a bit to get AA to refund the return as an in-vain as well.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Has anyone ever had any luck getting AA to refund the return portion of a trip where the first leg is cancelled and it is booked as 2 one ways? I tend to book a lot of my round-trips as one-ways and luckily have never had an issue. But I have always wondered how likely they are to refund the return leg if the outbound is cancelled because of their issue.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by chicago747
Has anyone ever had any luck getting AA to refund the return portion of a trip where the first leg is cancelled and it is booked as 2 one ways? I tend to book a lot of my round-trips as one-ways and luckily have never had an issue. But I have always wondered how likely they are to refund the return leg if the outbound is cancelled because of their issue.
That will become even more of an issue as they have now made many mutli-city itineraries very expensive.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Even if both directions were on AA (but separate tickets) you would likely have to fight a bit to get AA to refund the return as an in-vain as well.
AA did this for me last year without any argument.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by jiangning
My ORD-SFO outbound today was cancelled by UA due to MX. I have a SJC-ORD ticket on AA tomorrow afternoon. UA automatically rebooked me to tomorrow morning, which makes my trip in vain. I have already called UA to cancel and refund. I'm wondering if it is possible to ask AA to refund for the return ticket.
I don't expect AA to refund due to UA's fault, but just wanted to ask in case this is actually possible.
There was no other way to get from ORD to [SFO or SJC or OAK] today?
Old May 1, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage
AA did recently revise their trip in vain policy, but I think the odds of success are slim if the return is on a different carrier.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
There was no other way to get from ORD to [SFO or SJC or OAK] today?
I checked, only options were routed through LAX. I didn't bother to do the trip since the whole point was to ride a 747 on a cheap ticket.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
If you were on UA or even another *A carrier, it wouldn't be an issue. Separate tickets on separate carriers in separate alliances means you are likely SOL.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by gengar
AA did this for me last year without any argument.
Interesting. I had to fight tooth and nail when it happened to me.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Interesting. I had to fight tooth and nail when it happened to me.
Very likely a YMMV issue. I had AA agents voluntarily waive change fees a few times last year too, while other times I asked if the fee could be waived and was flatly denied.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jiangning
If you don't call, the chances are pretty much zero.

If you do call and give a good explanation why you were taking the trip in the first place, you might find a sympathetic agent that will allow it. If they believe you were working to improve your position with AA (more EQMs for status, RDMs for an upcoming trip), you might get further than saying you needed UA miles for something.

Good luck.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Unhappy 19 hour delay due to weather - Am I SOL?

First time dealing with a weather delay and missed connections-

Flight thru DFW was diverted to Wichita Falls due to weather. But my connection was also diverted, so I was golden --- until they decided to ground the connection in TUL, and bring in another plane - which of course departed as my plane pulled up to the gate. (all flights AA)

AA can't get me to my destination (YYZ), until tomorrow night (a 19 hour delay) - at which point I've missed my meeting, and there's no reason to go to Toronto. There's a morning flight on AC that would get me to YYZ at 10am. Do I have any recourse to have AA put me on the earliest flight, or am I SOL because it's weather-related?

If AA doesn't have to put me on the "other carrier" flight, what about simply cancelling my DFW-YYZ-DFW legs, and catching the next flight home (SAN)?

(sorry if this is the wrong place - I found a similar post here)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.