Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the ARCHIVE through 2015 for older posts from the MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability - Help, Assistance & Discussion (consolidated) thread.

Some of you might have found your thread merged into this "consolidated" thread. If your desire is to become thoroughly familiar with the knowledge that has been accumulated about the process for acquiring MileSAAver awards feel free to read this entire thread. If you only want the assistance from those who have the knowledge your request has been merged at the end. Feel free to wait for a forthcoming answer.

If you have reached this thread by using the search process you have the same choices as above. Read the thread and become knowledgeable or post at the end and wait for a forthcoming answer.

thanks
~magic111

This wikipost can be edited by members with 90 days' tenure and 90 posts; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

Other useful resources include:

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity >= Aug 2011 onward (consolidated)

oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Help with British Airways / BA surcharge / YQ (AA award on BA, consolidated)

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2009-2015 MileSAAver / SAAver Award Availability Help etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
There's a difference between load vs. bookable on website at 33x days out. Some details are quoted in post 336 of this thread (which quotes me), but the short answer is that the seats generally appear at noon of the departing timezone, but they won't be bookable until it's at/after midnight in Dallas.

In the long post I speculated that the seats might be bookable before midnight in Dallas by calling. I haven't tried but based on recent observations I'm inclined to think they are because I've seen seats from Europe get booked hours before it was midnight in Dallas (I doubt anyone was eager to pay aanytime or full-fare so far in advance).
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dwcatty
So what time do they load new FF seats? Midnight what time zone?

PS I agree; an extra day in Paris is not such a bad thing.
The stroke of midnight PST. At least that is when I logged on and saw a change.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:02 am

Booking Strategy Question

I see an available itinerary that works well for us:

MRS-LHR-DFW-SEA. The itinerary is all on one day but gets us into SEA after midnight.

I would like to stop in DFW for the night and pick up the first available flight the next morning to SEA.

The problem is that I have noticed a 1 or 2 day lag time before domestic AA flights are loaded after the international. So the flight I want the next morning is not showing yet.

Should I book the itinerary as presented all the way through to SEA and then call the next day when the other flight ( I hope) opens to change that last leg... or would it be easier to just book the itinerary only to Dallas and then add the other flight the next day via a hold or call.

Hope I am not too confusing.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Interesting question and calling for an interpretation of the LIFO rule, as there is still a leg available on the same day when you arrive in DFW. I'd be curious too. Maybe put the MRS-LHR-DFW segment on hold and add whichever leg is necessary, the later-on-the-same-day leg to SEA (which is likely to be available this far out) or the LIFO leg the next morning when it shows up? Or if you want to be extra cautious maybe put two itineraries on hold (if there are enough seats); MRS-LHR-DFW and MRS-LHR-DFW-SEA and release whichever one you don't want tomorrow?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by dwcatty
Interesting question and calling for an interpretation of the LIFO rule, as there is still a leg available on the same day when you arrive in DFW. I'd be curious too. Maybe put the MRS-LHR-DFW segment on hold and add whichever leg is necessary, the later-on-the-same-day leg to SEA (which is likely to be available this far out) or the LIFO leg the next morning when it shows up? Or if you want to be extra cautious maybe put two itineraries on hold (if there are enough seats); MRS-LHR-DFW and MRS-LHR-DFW-SEA and release whichever one you don't want tomorrow?
I called and asked.... the gentleman I got said either way is fine. Put on hold the itinerary as it shows online ( straight through) and then call to change the last leg when it opens the next day or just book it as far as DFW and then add the last segment the next day.

Pressed to answer whether one approach was easier then the other...he said no.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by david4455
I called and asked.... the gentleman I got said either way is fine. Put on hold the itinerary as it shows online ( straight through) and then call to change the last leg when it opens the next day or just book it as far as DFW and then add the last segment the next day.

Pressed to answer whether one approach was easier then the other...he said no.
I'd agree with the AAgent, both of these are basically the same. Since your connection at DFW is international you have up to 24 hrs to connect. That is, you can take any available flight to SEA within 24 hrs, it doesn't have to be the first one out the next day.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:46 pm

Why won't this work?

SEA-DFW-BJX ( Leon Mexico)

Because the DFW-BJX segment is coach only it will not show a Business/Firstsaver award. ( I think)

But I can get a 25K B/F saver to DFW and a 17.5 Economysaver to Leon with great legal connections ( the same being offered on revenue tickets).

A call to AA CS said I cannot combine these two for a single award but it would be treated as two separate awards. 42.5K vs. 30K

Does this right?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:31 pm

SEA-DFW-BJX ( Leon Mexico)

Because the DFW-BJX segment is coach only it will not show a Business/Firstsaver award. ( I think)

But I can get a 25K B/F saver to DFW and a 17.5 Economysaver to Leon with great legal connections ( the same being offered on revenue tickets).

A call to AA CS said I cannot combine these two for a single award but it would be treated as two separate awards. 42.5K vs. 30K

Does this right?
Is the connection at DFW less than 4 hours? If not it may not be eligible for a single award and would need to be two separate awards.

DAK
Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by dkerr
Is the connection at DFW less than 4 hours? If not it may not be eligible for a single award and would need to be two separate awards.

DAK
It is less...it is two. Which made it ideal.

Why would less than 4 make a difference?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:41 pm

It is less...it is two. Which made it ideal.

Why would less than 4 make a difference?
AAdvantage rules require you to take a connecting flight within 4 hours, or the next scheduled flight. Else it is considered a "stopover" which is not permitted on awards. So a connection more than 4 hours might trigger requirement that each segment be ticketed separately.

There are exceptions to the 4 hour rule for certain destinations (like Hawaii) which is, I think, 18 hours and international long haul itineraries can have up to 24 hour connections.

DAK
Old Jun 12, 2015, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dkerr
AAdvantage rules require you to take a connecting flight within 4 hours, or the next scheduled flight. Else it is considered a "stopover" which is not permitted on awards. So a connection more than 4 hours might trigger requirement that each segment be ticketed separately.

There are exceptions to the 4 hour rule for certain destinations (like Hawaii) which is, I think, 18 hours and international long haul itineraries can have up to 24 hour connections.

DAK
USA-Mexico follows the international 'not more than 24 hours' rule, not the domestic/Canada/Puerto Rico/USVI 'not more than 4 hours' rule defining a connection.

There is no 'international long haul' rule for stopovers.

OP is encouraged to see the International contract of carriage.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/Tariffs/AA1.html
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:14 pm

Sorry to be so dense.....
I guess I don't understand why these two cannot be joined as one 30K award? There is a 65 minute connection which is tight but legal.

The itinerary:

25Kaward 1094 5:10AM SEA 10:59AM DFW
American Airlines
Aircraft: 32B Booking Code: Z
Total travel time: 3hr 49min Cabin: First

connecting to:

17.5Kaward 5878 12:05PM DFW 2:33PM BJX
Operated by Mesa Airlines As American Eagle
Aircraft: CR9 Booking Code: T
Total travel time: 2hr 28min Cabin: Economy
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
I guess I don't understand why these two cannot be joined as one 30K award?
Have you tried the FT standby and called again? Just give them the flights and dates and tell them you want to book the first leg in business and don't mention what class for the second.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: AS MVP
I guess I don't understand why these two cannot be joined as one 30K award? There is a 65 minute connection which is tight but legal.

The itinerary:

25Kaward 1094 5:10AM SEA 10:59AM DFW
American Airlines
Aircraft: 32B Booking Code: Z
Total travel time: 3hr 49min Cabin: First

connecting to:

17.5Kaward 5878 12:05PM DFW 2:33PM BJX
Operated by Mesa Airlines As American Eagle
Aircraft: CR9 Booking Code: T
Total travel time: 2hr 28min Cabin: Economy
Business class int'l awards using AA miles must be in business class on the primary international segment (nevermind that is the shorter flight in this case). So if the fare classes were reversed, you'd be fine.

Using AS miles, on the other hand, you can book this at 30K no problem.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Business class int'l awards using AA miles must be in business class on the primary international segment (nevermind that is the shorter flight in this case). So if the fare classes were reversed, you'd be fine.

Using AS miles, on the other hand, you can book this at 30K no problem.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.